PDA

View Full Version : Texas > USC

fishuuuuu
01-04-2006, 09:43 PM
That is all. Oh yeah and ... HOOK 'EM.

raven5288
01-04-2006, 09:51 PM
HOOK EM HORNS!!!

That was a game for the ages! 4th and 5, Vince Young with the TD=amazing clutchness.

Rumjungle
01-04-2006, 11:13 PM
What was Matt thinking? I thought he was gonna manage the clock and leave time for a field goal attempt. Ooops.

Brettolius
01-05-2006, 06:18 AM
Well, what about the play (first half) where Vince Young's knee was obviously down and he lateralled the ball and the guy went in for a touchdown? I wasn't rooting for either team, but I hate to see a anyone lose by that margin, after such a great game. Without that touchdown that shouldn't have been, Texas doesn't win that game. Peace

Phil
01-05-2006, 06:40 AM
I have witnesses to me sitting there saying, on that 4th and 2 situation late in the 4th quarter, "Punt, punt!" Amazing that Carrol made that gamble. Guess it wasn't all that boneheaded a call considering that USC had racked up 600 and some yards in offense up to that point...but if they had punted and put ball inside the Texas 20 or 10, I'm not sure Texas would have driven down field as quickly as they did.

Rumjungle
01-05-2006, 06:57 AM
That's right. That didn't make sense when protecting a 5 point lead. In fact, there were many decisions that I didn't agree with.

Mr.Federer
01-05-2006, 07:23 AM
DAMN!!! I was sreaming at the TV: PUNT!!! PUNT!!! PUNT!!!...it was just one of those plays that you know they wouldn't make...Vince Young...trojan killer...that sucks. But that game was amazing...so many good players. But what's up with college football's kicking game?

Brettolius
01-05-2006, 07:29 AM
Jesus, did no one see the play I'm talking about? THAT was the gamebreaker! I can't believe that part of the game is skipped over in all reports this morning. Even the commentators slowed it down over and over and confirmed that it wasn't a touchdown! There sure was alot more hoopla when something like this happened a few years ago and the 'Luckeyes' won very shadily over Miami. I guess because the play last night happened in the 1st half. Dunno

Mr.Federer
01-05-2006, 07:32 AM
Jesus, did no one see the play I'm talking about? THAT was the gamebreaker! I can't believe that part of the game is skipped over in all reports this morning. Even the commentators slowed it down over and over and confirmed that it wasn't a touchdown! There sure was alot more hoopla when something like this happened a few years ago and the 'Luckeyes' won very shadily over Miami. I guess because the play last night happened in the 1st half. Dunno

Yeah, I did see that play...but they(longhorns) would've most probably scored a touchdown anyway...the knee was like at the 10 yard line and they picked up a first down...but yeah...that sucked too.

Kaptain Karl
01-05-2006, 07:35 AM
I haven't watched either team play until last night. I constantly commented on Young's "sneaky speed." He never looks like he's running that fast, but the USC guys "just missed" repeatedly.

My wife joined me to watch the 4th Quarter asking, "Who are we for?" I reported that I didn't really care; I just wanted a good game, and I was not being disappointed.
Halfway through the 4th, she's leaping off the couch during one of Young's scrambles, yelling "Go! Run!"
Composing herself, she deadpanned, "I think I just realized who I'm rooting for."
(Oh really...?)

P.S. For the first time in my memory every bowl game came out the way I wanted ... where I had a favorite. (And I didin't bet a dime on one of them....)

- KK

ChipNCharge
01-05-2006, 07:56 AM
Leinert came across as a whiney, sore loser in his post game interview. However, Carroll said some classy things when they spoke with him.

And Brettolius, the play you want everyone to agree with you on wasn't that big of a deal. Like Mr. Federer said, it would have been a first down on the 10 yard line, so they probably would have scored anyway.

Keith Jackson sure sounded dejected when Vince Young scored that last touchdown! His beloved west coast team going down in flames!

Where is USCFan, btw??

atuta, what's it like in Austin this morning??

Brettolius
01-05-2006, 09:13 AM
And Brettolius, the play you want everyone to agree with you on wasn't that big of a deal. Like Mr. Federer said, it would have been a first down on the 10 yard line, so they probably would have scored anyway.

Like I said, I wasn't rooting one way or the other, so I'm not wanting everyone to agree with me. In fact it doesn't really matter if you agree with me, because that IS what happened, not my opinion. How many times at the beginning of the game last night was USC driving down the field for what looked like a sure score, only to turn the ball over... so I don't really buy the "would've scored anyway." Hell, look what happened to Penn St. the other night, they fumbled the ball a foot or 2 from the goal line. Nothing's a given, and the shame was that it wasn't really a questionable judgment call, like pass interference, the dude was DOWN.

nuskool
01-05-2006, 10:09 AM
Leinart and Bush are both going to be more succseful than Young will be in the NFL. Young is only going to be a good runing quater in collage if he gets drafted he wont be a quaterback he'll be a defensive end or safty.

ChipNCharge
01-05-2006, 10:15 AM
Leinart and Bush are both going to be more succseful than Young will be in the NFL. Young is only going to be a good runing quater in collage if he gets drafted he wont be a quaterback he'll be a defensive end or safty.

It's not IF he gets drafted. It's WHEN he gets drafted. I agree that it might be tough to be an NFL quarterback with a throwing motion like he has, but I'll bet you a dollar to a dog's turd (and I'll hold the stakes in my mouth) that he won't play defensive end in the NFL.

DANMAN
01-05-2006, 10:23 AM
Vine young...a safety? Sorry buddy not going to happen. It's so hard to tell what these guys are going to do in the pros that it's almost not worth worrying about. That game last night proved my point about USC. They had a great powerful explosive offense with a weak defense. I don't care how good Vince Young is...no team should allow a quarterback to run for 200 yards. USC has not faced a challenge like Texas in the past three years. Oklahoma has obviously been overrated the past few years. I also think claiming USC was a national champion in 2003 is ridiculous...they did not make the BCS game which factors in the polls where hardheaded sportswriters have refused to even budge USC while they play easy, yes easy schedules--the fact that made them miss that BCS berth in '03. I think I got my answer as to who would have won the 2004 Sugar Bowl if LSU would have played USC rather than Oklahoma. LSU's defense that year was better than either of these teams' defenses. Sorry for the rant but I just got sick of USC has two in a row. The voters overstepped their bounds in declaring USC a co national champ in 2003 (04 sugar bowl). Kudos to Texas...they were truly a great team. I am so glad this USC "DYNASTY" which involved one legitimate national championship and so much hype is finally over. I think you also saw last night who should have been the Heisman--YOUNG. Also, talking about how these players will fare in the pros. It looks like Bush won't be close to the best out of these guys. Leinart, Young, and especially Lendale White will all likely be better than Bush. Bush has great moves, but the speed of the Texas DB's was enough to stop him cold and the DB's in the pros are all faster/stronger/fitter than Texas' best. White showed he could pound the ball against a good defense and will likely with his size fare better than Bush in the pros.
DISCLAIMER: THESE OPINIONS REFLECT SOLELY THE AUTHOR OF THE POST AND ARE OBVIOUSLY DEBATEABLE; HOWEVER, IN NO WAY AM I AN IDIOT FOR THINKING THESE THINGS JUST AS NONE OF YOU ARE IDIOTS FOR YOUR OPINIONS. GREAT WRAP TO A GREAT YEAR IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL. THE SEASONS JUST GET BETTER AND BETTER.
CONGRATULATIONS TEXAS ON A JOB WELL DONE!!!

Greg S
01-05-2006, 10:31 AM
Brettolius,

Every football game that's ever been played has questionable calls. I agree that Young's knee was down, it was very very close. But it went both ways. Texas clearly intercepted the ball late in the 1st half but it was ruled incomplete on the field. That play was not reviewed and SC kicked a fieldgoal.

It was a great game and the calls went both ways.

Docalex007
01-05-2006, 10:35 AM
No...Texas < USC

wtf, where was USC's defense, do they even have one?!?

ShooterMcMarco
01-05-2006, 11:42 AM
that face mask around the 1.30 min mark screwed usc over. it woulda been 4th and 8 or something like that. i had a feeling before the game that texas was going to pull out a win because the commentators were talking about how usc players were talkin crap pregrame to the longhorns players. I knew that they were going to be eating their own words at the end of it.

atatu
01-05-2006, 12:23 PM
Leinert came across as a whiney, sore loser in his post game interview. However, Carroll said some classy things when they spoke with him.

Keith Jackson sure sounded dejected when Vince Young scored that last touchdown! His beloved west coast team going down in flames!

Where is USCFan, btw??

atuta, what's it like in Austin this morning??

Well, it was pretty crazy last night, my neighbors (who are in their 30's not college kids) were yelling and screaming and running up and down the street until about 2am. They were keeping my kids up, but oh well. Lot's of burnt orange around the city today, I guess these folks have been waiting a long time for this, so I'm cutting them some slack, because it's getting a little old already.

The_Dark_Knight
01-05-2006, 01:45 PM
I'm more of an aggie fan, but this time I had to go for Texas

HELLS YES we won..........

simi
01-05-2006, 03:00 PM
I have to respectfully disagree. It was a very sloppy game . . . by both sides. Neither side had any defense of any consistancy, and with the multitude of mistakes, by both sides, did one team really win it, or did the other team lose it?

Congratulations to UT and Vince Young. For sure, he is an extremely talented player. The longhorns will certainly be the consensus pre-season choice to repeat as national champions, but only if Young returns for his senior season. If he does return, he'll be the favorite for the Heisman also.

fishuuuuu
01-05-2006, 04:22 PM
No...Texas < USC

wtf, where was USC's defense, do they even have one?!?

That's not what the scoreline said.

Aonex
01-06-2006, 05:50 PM
Vine young...a safety? Sorry buddy not going to happen. It's so hard to tell what these guys are going to do in the pros that it's almost not worth worrying about. That game last night proved my point about USC. They had a great powerful explosive offense with a weak defense. I don't care how good Vince Young is...no team should allow a quarterback to run for 200 yards. USC has not faced a challenge like Texas in the past three years. Oklahoma has obviously been overrated the past few years. I also think claiming USC was a national champion in 2003 is ridiculous...they did not make the BCS game which factors in the polls where hardheaded sportswriters have refused to even budge USC while they play easy, yes easy schedules--the fact that made them miss that BCS berth in '03. I think I got my answer as to who would have won the 2004 Sugar Bowl if LSU would have played USC rather than Oklahoma. LSU's defense that year was better than either of these teams' defenses. Sorry for the rant but I just got sick of USC has two in a row. The voters overstepped their bounds in declaring USC a co national champ in 2003 (04 sugar bowl). Kudos to Texas...they were truly a great team. I am so glad this USC "DYNASTY" which involved one legitimate national championship and so much hype is finally over. I think you also saw last night who should have been the Heisman--YOUNG. Also, talking about how these players will fare in the pros. It looks like Bush won't be close to the best out of these guys. Leinart, Young, and especially Lendale White will all likely be better than Bush. Bush has great moves, but the speed of the Texas DB's was enough to stop him cold and the DB's in the pros are all faster/stronger/fitter than Texas' best. White showed he could pound the ball against a good defense and will likely with his size fare better than Bush in the pros.
DISCLAIMER: THESE OPINIONS REFLECT SOLELY THE AUTHOR OF THE POST AND ARE OBVIOUSLY DEBATEABLE; HOWEVER, IN NO WAY AM I AN IDIOT FOR THINKING THESE THINGS JUST AS NONE OF YOU ARE IDIOTS FOR YOUR OPINIONS. GREAT WRAP TO A GREAT YEAR IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL. THE SEASONS JUST GET BETTER AND BETTER.
CONGRATULATIONS TEXAS ON A JOB WELL DONE!!!

Another LSU fan in denial about the 2003 championship. The AP was never tied to the BCS and their wacked out computers. As far as I remember USC was ranked #1 in the AP and maybe even the Coaches poll prior to the bowl games... it was only because the Coaches poll was tied to the BCS that the Coaches had to vote to leapfrog USC. Anyway, how could you say that OU was overrated when last year they destroyed the same Texas team that played in this year's championship? Besides, making comparisons like "if team A beat team B, then team A should beat team C" makes absolutely no sense. Yes, LSU's defense that year was outstanding... but their offense wasn't nearly as explosive as this year's Texas team (by the way, SC's defense that year was way better than this year's) so in the end, we really don't know who would have won... but saying SC didn't deserve the AP in 2003 just sounds bitter.

Aonex
01-06-2006, 05:51 PM

I'd say Texas = USC

I imagine that if those two teams played the game 10 times they'd each win 5. Really exciting game though, USC could have just as easily won.

Kevin T
01-06-2006, 06:28 PM
Vince Young is a bigger, stronger, just as fast as, better throwing Michael Vick. And this is from a Va Tech alumnus that saw Mike play live numerous times.

Docalex007
01-06-2006, 08:22 PM
I'd say Texas = USC

I imagine that if those two teams played the game 10 times they'd each win 5. Really exciting game though, USC could have just as easily won.

Exactly, IMO, USC had the better chance at winning the game than Texas. They just blew it. And while it's whoever comes out on top who "wins", it doesn't always reflect who the better team was; especially if the score was as tight as this game.

Like I said above, USC came within two inches of winning the game...luck was against them. The fact that they didn't get the first down had more to do with luck than a good Texas stop. USC woulda gained those few yards 7 out of 10 times.

Just like when Fed lost to Nalby in China...nobody and I mean nobody considers Nalby a better tennis player than Federer. Every dog has its day.

BTW, don't get me wrong, i'm impartial to both teams. I do indeed think Texas is a great team and worth being an equal to USC. In these situations which often are a part of sports, I wish for rematches, though it can't be done.

racingdad23
01-06-2006, 08:42 PM
I have witnesses to me sitting there saying, on that 4th and 2 situation late in the 4th quarter, "Punt, punt!" Amazing that Carrol made that gamble. Guess it wasn't all that boneheaded a call considering that USC had racked up 600 and some yards in offense up to that point...but if they had punted and put ball inside the Texas 20 or 10, I'm not sure Texas would have driven down field as quickly as they did.

Whats more amazing/stupid is that he made that call with his Heisman winner on the sideline. Bush wasnt even on the field...whats up with that?? Whether he got the ball or not he should have at least been in the game. With Bush on the field every eye from Texas would've been on him. And what was with that last USC time out? The clock was already stopped :confused: Didnt they think they may need that on their final drive. Bonehead coaching mistakes like that lead me to believe that maybe Pete is actually a Aggie.

Its easy to see how one mental lapse in a game of this caliber can decide the National Championship.

Being from Oklahoma...I hate them both and that stupid cow.

Kevin T
01-07-2006, 07:41 AM
The fact remains that Leinart and Bush made some costly, costly mistakes, even with all their big-game experience. Vince Young was money, ice water in the veins kind of money. USC knew he was the playmaker and knew all things would run through him and they couldn't do anything about it. He played a flawless, basically mistake-free game. USC's poor secondary was really exposed in this one. It reminded me of when Tommy Frazier basically won Nebraska's 2 straight championships singlehanded on the offensive side. Lawrence Phillips was money but Frazier was doing it all and without mistakes.