PDA

View Full Version : Badminton , have you tried it ?

sdslyout
01-04-2006, 11:35 PM
The other day checking out my local goodwill thrift store i found a complete badminton setup for $9.99 . All my tennis buddies trip out when i break out the rackets and start hitting the thing around. I have to admit, it's pretty fun. who knew. if you play tennis and never tried badminton, try it sometime.

Deuce
01-04-2006, 11:45 PM
I played badminton about as often as most people - that is, infrequently. But, just about every time I played, I won - against a variety of opponents.

So I figured I was good.

One day, my boss at the time challenges me to a badminton match. I was about 25 at the time, and he, about 10 to 15 years my senior. I knew he was a good athlete - Olympic level in Track & Field at one time. But, hey - I was the tennis player; I was the one who knew how to manipulate a racquet.

To make an embarrassing story short, he played a game that I had never recognized as being badminton. In fact, he played a game that I had never before seen at all. He ran me all around the bloody little court. Never in my wildest imaginings did I think that this innocent little activity could be so absolutely one-sided.

I later learned that he was at or near Olympic level in badminton, as well, at one time.

I later saved a small degree of face when I went skiing with him. He was a long time, accomplished skiier, while it was my first time. After one quick 'lesson' from him, I was able to stay right with him all the way every time down the mountain.

scotus
01-05-2006, 01:18 AM
I went to high school in Southern California, and my high school badminton team was one of the best in all of California.

Two sets of badminton I played against a varsity player taught me to respect the game of badminton. I was a water polo player, swimmer, wrestler and tennis player, fairly confident of my athletic abilities, but badminton was quite something. It takes extreme quickness and supreme cardio. If I could find a good player who could teach me the "game" (not just hitting around), I wouldn't mind picking it up. I think it would do my tennis a lot of good in terms of conditioning.

godot
01-05-2006, 01:29 AM
I played Badminton on and off and I believe it's the highest cardio work out in any racquet game. It is good in conditioning for your tennis, but it is not a good combination since badminton uses lots of wrist power.

mansrow
01-05-2006, 03:03 AM
i grew up playing tennis and badminton. hardest thing about badminton is keeping up with the pace. good workout. lots of jumping and streching. sometimes, badminton helps me serve better.

Askmeo88
01-05-2006, 04:35 AM
Yeah, I used to play badminton competitively for my old high-school. Unfortunately, there isn't much baddy going on in Tucson...

$9.99 racquet? Nah, try one of these:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d84/Askmeo88/AT700.jpg

Happyneige
01-05-2006, 05:37 AM
I played badminton growing up, then switched to tennis. Unless you play both tennis and badminton often and are good at both, one will screw up the other. Racquet handling, the arm and wrist motion and body positioning are quite different among the two sports.

Rumjungle
01-05-2006, 06:48 AM
I went to high school in Southern California, and my high school badminton team was one of the best in all of California.

Two sets of badminton I played against a varsity player taught me to respect the game of badminton. I was a water polo player, swimmer, wrestler and tennis player, fairly confident of my athletic abilities, but badminton was quite something. It takes extreme quickness and supreme cardio. If I could find a good player who could teach me the "game" (not just hitting around), I wouldn't mind picking it up. I think it would do my tennis a lot of good in terms of conditioning.

What school did you go to? I may know it. BTW, there are badminton clubs you can join in the SG Valley. My buddy plays in one and he says the skill level their ranges from beginner to very advanced.

sdslyout
01-05-2006, 06:56 AM
You know i've seen badminton rackets at the thrift stores , prokennex, and some other well known brands and never thought twice about them. I couldn't pass up
the $10.00 dollor deal on the setup. The better deal was a us air force nylon (black outside, orange inside) flight jacket (ma1) in perfect condition for $4.93
SCORED !!!

Tennismastery
01-05-2006, 06:48 PM
Unfortunately, badminton is a terribly underrated sport here in the U.S. I grew up playing competitive badminton with many of our top nationally ranked players. (My P.E. teacher in Southern California later was our U.S. Olympic Badminton coach.) My dad ran a badminton gym for 25 years in orange county and I played from the time I was 6 till 7th grade. I later turned to tennis and made it my profession. However, badminton played at a highly competitive level is rated as one of the most prolific and demanding sports. Too bad most people think of badminton as the 'backyard' sport at picnics and barbeques! Imagine hitting a smash at over 150 mph and then hit a drop shot off that smash, then having to retrieve a clear with a backhand (like a backhand overhead in tennis) and then sprint back to the net to cover another drop. The average pro badminton player will sprint about 4 miles in a highly skilled 2 of 3 game match. That was SPRINT!

I ended up coaching badminton in Arizona and worked out with the ASU coach and several top players later when I was older. Even as I was a good player, these guys wore me out in no time!

Nice thing about badminton was my immediate acquisition of touch and angle volleys (using a continental grip since that is what badminton players use) and a great serve and overhead since the mechanics of the smash in badminton are so similar to tennis. Groundstrokes were more difficult to avoid using wrist.

I have heard that the Tennis Channel has shown some pro badminton matches and my friends who have watched it have gained a great amount of respect for the sport after seeing it played at that level.

In some countries, badminton is their national sport. I still have some of my racquets from twenty years ago...which were over 60 dollars back then...now you can spend over 150 dollars for a high-performance racquet.

Everyone should give the sport a try!

atatu
01-05-2006, 07:41 PM
Yeah, great game. I went to High School in Indonesia and they take it pretty seriously there. I also had the opportunity to play tennis with Rudy Hartono, who was one of the all time greats.

croatian sensation
01-06-2006, 06:55 AM
Yeah, I love it...I've played on courts also, but the best thing is that I can just pull the racquets out and when it's a nice day go to my yard and play...no organization required like with tennis (unless you have a tennis court in your backyard)

Frodo Baggins
01-06-2006, 10:26 AM
I Also Love playing Badminton..It's alot easier Then tennis.Plus Whoever plays Badminton I Could easliy Beat you:D Truth I used to play Against my Sis..An Get this> She Thought She was sooo good at it..I Actully Beat her at every game:D So Whoever wants to play??? watch out;) Cause this Hobbit Could beat you!!!

killer
01-09-2006, 05:34 PM
I grew up playing both badminton and tennis; on weekends i was alternating between tennis and badminton tournaments. I was actually able to pick it up after not playing for about 6 years and managed to get on to my (second) university's varsity team. Quite pleased about that, actually...
Two years ago I moved from the biggest city in Canada to a population of 7500 in rural BC...and i'm actually playing more badminton now than I have for the past 4 or 5 years! There's a collection of really decent players here who play religiously twice a week...i've really loved the fact that, since moving out here from the 'big city,' i've actually been able to get both tennis and badminton back into my life, something that really wasn't a possibility for me for a long time...

35ft6
01-09-2006, 05:39 PM
I once bought a pair of gloves with a hole in it. That was my experience with a bad mitten.

Docalex007
01-09-2006, 05:49 PM
I admit, I am one of those "backyard BBQ" badminton players. I love playing with my mom. She is soooo hilarious when she plays.

There are several ways of playing for fun. For example, my brothers and I would stand really close to each other and play pretty fast at close range...really testing our reflexes. Since i'm the only one out of the bunch that plays tennis, they think by default i'm supposed to be "skilled". Anyway, they laugh when see me hit the birdie with a one handed backhand...since my stroke is exactly like my one handed backhand tennis stroke. BUT, it's effective. :)

Badminton is great for families. I must say, it provided my family with great active fun for hours. You can get into those long conversations while playing too. I believe families should engage in more non-passive activities anyway.

Freedom
01-09-2006, 06:02 PM
I once bought a pair of gloves with a hole in it. That was my experience with a bad mitten.

Nice.

Skppr05
01-09-2006, 06:15 PM
funny how I could do a between the legs shot in badminton but not in tennis. Maybe because the racquet head is smaller and the shuttlecok moves alot slower than a tennis ball.

Dan007
01-09-2006, 06:19 PM
I play badminton with my friends in my school gym after school for fun. I got really good at it. I also won the badminton doubles in mt P.E. class.

Dan007
01-09-2006, 06:24 PM
funny how I could do a between the legs shot in badminton but not in tennis. Maybe because the racquet head is smaller and the shuttlecok moves alot slower than a tennis ball.

I tried that with badminton but it doesn't work because the heads are too small and the shuttlecock is really slow which makes it hard because the betweener are usually hit when you are in hurry so that slow thing messes it up in badminton. I'm actually better when I do it in tennis even though I'm not that good at it.

Barricade_steve
01-09-2006, 06:35 PM
I played badminton in gym class 3 years ago. I thought it was pretty fun. I never played it after that though.

armand
01-09-2006, 07:34 PM
I admit, I am one of those "backyard BBQ" badminton players. I love playing with my mom. She is soooo hilarious when she plays.

There are several ways of playing for fun. For example, my brothers and I would stand really close to each other and play pretty fast at close range...really testing our reflexes. Since i'm the only one out of the bunch that plays tennis, they think by default i'm supposed to be "skilled". Anyway, they laugh when see me hit the birdie with a one handed backhand...since my stroke is exactly like my one handed backhand tennis stroke. BUT, it's effective. :)

Badminton is great for families. I must say, it provided my family with great active fun for hours. You can get into those long conversations while playing too. I believe families should engage in more non-passive activities anyway.That's a nice story. This shows exactly why common interests(or a single major interest) is very important when considering a wife. Because if you and your spouse share an engaging activity, your kids will too and I think that's a great foundation for healthy family life.

disney.babies
05-06-2006, 12:54 PM
shall i bring this 3 month old thread up again :D
since i am a badminton player starting to play tennis :D
at my school poeple think badminton are for "wusses" but badminton takes mroe then hitting it around :rolleyes:

brucie
05-06-2006, 01:04 PM

Badminton is easy once you play tennis you just whack it hard , i have been offerd county training but play tennis instead iv been playing badminton 2 years and tennis since i was young and picked up badminton eays though im A and B team in tennis and C and D in Badminto in mens leagues.

:p

tonysk83
05-06-2006, 02:35 PM
I won in my gym class last year in singles and doubles, not like that matters at all though. I have a setup in my backyard during the summer and we play a lot for fun. We also play a lot of table tennis, I would say I play almost every day with my little brother. Racquet sports are so much fun.

goober
05-06-2006, 03:32 PM
I played badminton in PE like in 9th grade.

It is hard enough finding good tennis players to hit with. I don't know anybody that plays badminton even occasionally.

dewey2110
05-06-2006, 03:48 PM
I played badminton in high competitive level before
Basically, badminton is all about wrist and speed
but if you play badminton now, you WILL mess up your hand and you will need time to get back into tennis...cos the 2 sports are very different.

safin_protege
05-06-2006, 06:09 PM
I play badminton with my friends in my school gym after school for fun. I got really good at it. I also won the badminton doubles in mt P.E. class.

Same for me; I just finished taking a badminton course in gym, and my tennis skills carried over very easily.

goober
05-06-2006, 06:30 PM
I played badminton about as often as most people - that is, infrequently. But, just about every time I played, I won - against a variety of opponents.

So I figured I was good.

One day, my boss at the time challenges me to a badminton match. I was about 25 at the time, and he, about 10 to 15 years my senior. I knew he was a good athlete - Olympic level in Track & Field at one time. But, hey - I was the tennis player; I was the one who knew how to manipulate a racquet.

To make an embarrassing story short, he played a game that I had never recognized as being badminton. In fact, he played a game that I had never before seen at all. He ran me all around the bloody little court. Never in my wildest imaginings did I think that this innocent little activity could be so absolutely one-sided.

I later learned that he was at or near Olympic level in badminton, as well, at one time.

I later saved a small degree of face when I went skiing with him. He was a long time, accomplished skiier, while it was my first time. After one quick 'lesson' from him, I was able to stay right with him all the way every time down the mountain.

Hmm interesting story...

but your boss was olympic level in track and field and badminton as well as "being long time, accomplished skiier" ? I have never seen that combination before. Your boss must be amazing fellow probably the only person ever to reach such high heights in both track and field and badminton. Either that or you are fos.

FuZz_Da_AcE
05-07-2006, 01:36 AM
its an awesome game, imo, tennis is to badminton as soccer is to futsal. same technique, but a smaller indoor court creates a faster-paced game. i love it!

Tim Set Match
08-11-2006, 09:53 PM
Did y'all know that Li Na (Chinese tennis player who made it to the women's quarterfinals in the last Wimbledon) used to be a badminton player? Check out this link:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=ap-wimbledon-chinassuccess&prov=ap&type=lgns

My brother plays both badminton and tennis and is good at both; he plays them during different seasons though. I think playing both at the same time will mess up your tennis strokes.

Whatever you do, don't play badminton before playing table tennis. I did right before I played in a TT tournament and I lost to someone I could have easily beaten. I learned the hard way!

HyperHorse
08-12-2006, 03:12 AM
Badminton is a lot of fun, as well as being a great cardio workout...
I love it, but i havent played for years, since ive never owned a racquet...
anyway the technique is very different, very very wristy.... its so foreign/different to tennis...
If you dont have strong wrists, u might get a sprained wrist, as i once did from overuse...

Janne
08-12-2006, 03:24 AM
Used to play badminton 2-3 times a week for nearly 3-4 years. It's fun!

matty p
08-13-2006, 04:02 AM
i played badminton for the last 4 years for the best badminton skool in SA, Australia. really fun game to play altho my coach took it so seriously so i hated goin to practices lol

Urza187
08-13-2006, 09:19 PM
I LOVE Badminton, it's my favorite sport, easily. I used to play it quite a bit in High School with gym/intramurals and the tennis coach(it's how I got into tennis). He was amazing and he brought a doctor with him once from out of town. The dude was stellar and taught me quite a bit more. I play in college whenever I can with someone (I took the class for it, and killed everyone).

Yes, it is true(for me) that playing one screws up playing with the other. Tennis and badminton don't mix. Badminton also is very overlooked. I get a lot better workout playing with some very good badminton player than I do with tennis. There is a lot more strategy than a lot of people think too.

emo5
08-13-2006, 09:44 PM
:D I started playing tennis then went to badminton for half a year. I was able to put ALOT of strength into the smashes and clears (maybe too much).
It's mostly in the wrist. One difference is the balls. the shuttles last like 2 seconds compared to a tennis ball and they're pretty expensive too!
I love the weight of the rackets. Most rackets are around 3 oz or less! MY tennis racket is like 4 tiems as heavy!

shrakkie
08-14-2006, 06:01 AM
badminton rocks!i find that i can incorporate some tennis skills in badminton but i cant apply badminton skills to tennis!lol.:)

zhan
08-14-2006, 06:15 AM
badminton rocks!i find that i can incorporate some tennis skills in badminton but i cant apply badminton skills to tennis!lol.:)

the smash, u can do the drop shot, u can do the 'squash-shot' retrival passing shot, just a couple that came in to my mind...
but there r definately more
playing badminton helps with ur volleys too

Supernatural_Serve
08-14-2006, 06:18 AM
Anyway, they laugh when see me hit the birdie with a one handed backhand..At your next backyard game, refer to the "birdie" by its official name, you'll probably get a few laughs.

Its known as a "shuttlecock"

zhan
08-14-2006, 06:21 AM
At your next backyard game, refer to the "birdie" by its official name, you'll probably get a few laughs.

Its known as a "shuttlecock"

hehehehe

i won my HS championship in doubles...
only losing to my partner in singles :(

mucat
08-14-2006, 08:00 AM
Whoever says badminton is easy never play against good player. Just like in tennis, a good badminton player can bagel a decent experienced player with ease. I remember I played with a player with formal trainning from China, he can beat me with either hands, and I can beat most recreational players. One thing, the birdie in badminton can travel faster than the tennis ball.

zhan
08-14-2006, 09:35 AM
Whoever says badminton is easy never play against good player. Just like in tennis, a good badminton player can bagel a decent experienced player with ease. I remember I played with a player with formal trainning from China, he can beat me with either hands, and I can beat most recreational players. One thing, the birdie in badminton can travel faster than the tennis ball.
yeah
i won my HS championship
but then i went to a local badminton club and play some adults
i got destroyed... like 15-1
=(

Tennis_Monk
08-14-2006, 07:00 PM
I play badminton regularly all year . Grew up playing it and still play it.
Awesome game. My fav shot.....Smash !! especially the cross court smash.

zhan
08-14-2006, 07:15 PM
I play badminton regularly all year . Grew up playing it and still play it.
Awesome game. My fav shot.....Smash !! especially the cross court smash.
i love it when my backhand overhead goes in a winner in badminton...
its just a more beautiful shot =)

HyperHorse
08-14-2006, 07:38 PM
:D I started playing tennis then went to badminton for half a year. I was able to put ALOT of strength into the smashes and clears (maybe too much).
It's mostly in the wrist. One difference is the balls. the shuttles last like 2 seconds compared to a tennis ball and they're pretty expensive too!
I love the weight of the rackets. Most rackets are around 3 oz or less! MY tennis racket is like 4 tiems as heavy!

Arent the synthetic shuttlecocks improving???

FalconX
08-14-2006, 08:00 PM
I've never played on a proper court with the right height of net. But I've played a lot and always enjoy the experience.

Roy
08-16-2006, 02:28 AM
It's fun but no where near as fun as tennis !!!