PDA

View Full Version : Prince White v. Babolat Pure Drive

texcoug
01-05-2006, 11:13 AM
I have been waiting to get the White. After steady sampling for 6 months, I have determined that 100" is the right size for me. I was about to buy the Pure Drive when I saw the specs on the White. I currently play with the Red. To me, I thought it would be similar to the Pure Drive just lighter. When I saw the specs on the TW site (went up today), it is listed as 11.3 strung (322) with a SW of 322. The PD is listed by TW as 11.2 (318 ) with a SW of 318.

For those who have played with the White, does it play heavier than the PD?

texcoug
01-05-2006, 11:25 AM
BTW: Mid west Sports lists the PD SW at 313.

snoflewis
01-05-2006, 11:49 AM
BTW: Mid west Sports lists the PD SW at 313.

probably because they measured it unstrung...all specs at TW are for rackets that are strung

AJK1
01-05-2006, 03:49 PM
The APD is a better stick than the PD, and the 03 White is better than both of them.

AndrewD
01-05-2006, 04:15 PM
The APD is a better stick than the PD, and the 03 White is better than both of them.

That is purely a matter of opinion. As far as Im concerned, the 03 White is a comfortable racquet that plays too light in stock form and desperately needs an injection of weight. On the plus side, however, it has good control, balance isn't too bad but I would prefer it to be an extra couple of points Head Light, has good feel and good power. Spin is easy enough to generate and it's a reasonably mobile racquet at the net. Very suitable to a broad range of players although, in stock form, probably better suited to a woman or someone lacking strength.

The APD doesn't have quite as much touch - but a good volleyer will have no trouble at net- but it does have more power, excellent control (due largely to the easily generated spin, far easier access to spin (the APD's forte), has excellent mobility at net and is very well balanced (only 1pt more than the 03 White but far more manoueverable).

In stock form the APD is, in my opinion, a much better racquet than the 03 White. HOWEVER, it doesn't offer the same degree of comfort. It isn't, by any means, a harsh racquet but the White is more forgiving.

I do feel that both are better choices than the PureDrive but that's a personal preference. The PD does, however, play heavier than either the APD or 03 White.

Two Fister
01-05-2006, 04:29 PM
That is purely a matter of opinion. As far as Im concerned, the 03 White is a comfortable racquet that plays too light in stock form and desperately needs an injection of weight. On the plus side, however, it has good control, balance isn't too bad but I would prefer it to be an extra couple of points Head Light, has good feel and good power. Spin is easy enough to generate and it's a reasonably mobile racquet at the net. Very suitable to a broad range of players although, in stock form, probably better suited to a woman or someone lacking strength.

The APD doesn't have quite as much touch - but a good volleyer will have no trouble at net- but it does have more power, excellent control (due largely to the easily generated spin, far easier access to spin (the APD's forte), has excellent mobility at net and is very well balanced (only 1pt more than the 03 White but far more manoueverable).

In stock form the APD is, in my opinion, a much better racquet than the 03 White. HOWEVER, it doesn't offer the same degree of comfort. It isn't, by any means, a harsh racquet but the White is more forgiving.

I do feel that both are better choices than the PureDrive but that's a personal preference. The PD does, however, play heavier than either the APD or 03 White.

Are you connected with Prince, or has the 03 White been released in Australia already?

CLI
01-05-2006, 04:55 PM
Andrew has hit the mark with his comments here I think

yes the O3 White has been out in Australia for a little while - I have had one on demo this week

feels nowhere near as solid as PD imo - but I didn't like the Bab either

Two Fister
01-05-2006, 05:09 PM
Andrew has hit the mark with his comments here I think

yes the O3 White has been out in Australia for a little while - I have had one on demo this week

feels nowhere near as solid as PD imo - but I didn't like the Bab either

Wow, interesting how the racquet manufacturers would make it a practice to release new frames in other countries before releasing in the USA. The USA has to be a big chunk of the entire market. Prince 03 white and Volkl DNX 10, 9, 8 come to mind.

kreative
01-05-2006, 05:10 PM
US is always the last to get anything.

AndrewD
01-05-2006, 05:32 PM
Two Fister,

The 03 White was available to test at a local tennis club's recent 'demo day' . Since then, I've seen it on the shelf at their pro shop. I assume that means it's available here in Australia although where I live (Brisbane) there aren't too many facilities that stock Prince so can't say for sure.Okay, I see that CL1 has also had a bash with it so I guess that means it's out here, to demo at least.

I have been told that the newest offerings from Volkl, Head and Prince will be on display at the Australian Open (each company usually has a booth) so that might be why we have them ahead of the States. Makes good sense to utilise the Open and pretty silly to hold the product back when 'tennis season' (right now for us) is the time people buy racquets. Also, Sam Stosur (a local) and Maria Sharapova are using the 03 White. When people see them on tv, or in person, swinging the racquet you want it on the shelves ready to buy.

Of course, it does depend on the time of year the racquets are released and which company it is. Head have a long-standing relationship with the main coaches association here in Oz so it stands to reason they'll be quick to get us the product (although I'll be Europe had it first). As far as Volkl goes, we never received the Gen2 but you did. However, at the time it was launched I was told by the Australian Volkl distributors that a new product would be launched at the Aus Open that would supercede the v-engines. Seems that is the DNX line (again, I'll be Europe had it first). We've had the FlexPoint Prestige to demo but I've got no idea when it will be available in the shops.

Also, keep in mind that Australia is within the Asian region (that means Japan as well). So, releasing a racquet like the 03 White makes very good sense when you consider how big the overall market is out here, who is going to be using it on tour and what sort of player it's aimed at.

Very possible that the 03 White we get won't be the 03 White you get. Both CLI and I felt it was significantly under-weight. Could possibly have been a lighter version geared to the Asian market. Im hoping to hit with one on Monday and find out exactly what the weight is.

El Diablo
01-05-2006, 05:46 PM
"Broadway" shows often premier in New Haven or wherever a month or two before coming to New York....not only allows you to iron out details but also to guage public reaction so you know how best to promote it in the larger market.