PDA

View Full Version : Adely: What the h--- is going on in TO?

PM_
01-05-2006, 01:04 PM
I just heard the province is putting up 5 mil to hire a thousad new officers and restructure the whole police in Toronto. Are people not even coming out at night anymore...?

Richie Rich
01-05-2006, 06:45 PM
I just heard the province is putting up 5 mil to hire a thousad new officers and restructure the whole police in Toronto. Are people not even coming out at night anymore...?

you make it sound like TO is Detroit, Chicago, or any other big US city.

contrary to what you might think, people still go out at night and there is no snow in July.

anyway, all gang related. TO has always had "rough" neighborhoods (parkdale, jane/finch, flemington park, regent park, etc) but it's only bad if you hang with the wrong crowd and do the wrong things.

PM_
01-05-2006, 07:52 PM
you make it sound like TO is Detroit, Chicago, or any other big US city.

contrary to what you might think, people still go out at night and there is no snow in July.

anyway, all gang related. TO has always had "rough" neighborhoods (parkdale, jane/finch, flemington park, regent park, etc) but it's only bad if you hang with the wrong crowd and do the wrong things.

...or end up dead shopping innocently as a passerby on Boxing Day.

Tell it to her:
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/12/28/shooting-Toronto051228.html

Do you think she was "hang[ing] with the wrong crowd and do[ing] the wrong things"?

raftermania
01-05-2006, 08:01 PM
PM_ that was a very tragic story about the 15 year old student. But she doesn't represent the whole population. You know that stat, you have a one in a million chance of being shot by a random bullet? Yeah, she was that person. Not wrong crowd and doing the wrong things, but wrong place and wrong time.

armand
01-05-2006, 11:09 PM
Yeah sorry about all this, I'll tell the boys to tone it done a little. The raketeering business is kinda slow this season so I'll try to find something else to keep the hired goons occupied...I was thinking pharmaceuticals but when I asked them, they said it woud be fun to operate a tractor and work with barn animals.
Seriously, Toronto is probably the most dangerous city in Canada, but it's had a rate of about 50 homicides a year for as long as I can remember. That's pretty good for a large city in North America.
Don't be frightened, PM, come see what the big city has to offer; in order to gain, you have to risk.:rolleyes:

raftermania
01-05-2006, 11:12 PM
Surprisingly, Regina has a higher murder rate than Toronto.

Richie Rich
01-06-2006, 06:45 AM
...or end up dead shopping innocently as a passerby on Boxing Day.

Tell it to her:
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/12/28/shooting-Toronto051228.html

Do you think she was "hang[ing] with the wrong crowd and do[ing] the wrong things"?

i should have explained myself better. never meant to imply that the innocent people were hanging with the wrong crowd. should have been more specific and say that most of the shootings are related to gangs and most of the people killed were invloved with gangs/drugs in some way.

TO is very safe and I never feel scared or wary when i'm downtown. can't say same for when i was in downtown Detroit or Chicago.

thanks for the cbc link by the way, not like the story has been all over the news or anything. :rolleyes:

gscone
01-06-2006, 07:50 AM
TO is safe as well as Mississauga.

Mr.Federer
01-06-2006, 08:16 AM
Montreal's hokmicide rate is amazing for a big city in north america...

tom-selleck
01-06-2006, 08:29 AM
it seems like toronto is getting more like a big U.S. city every year.

although i wonder???

do "drug dealer" murders even make the news in detroit, L.A., washington etc.?

perhaps we have a long way to go to match those U.S. cities.

i think the shooting of a "white" honours student/athlete shopping on yonge street is what it took to wake up the population... it's no longer "those people" in "their neighbourhoods" (which frankly i think we should have cared about anyhow, ala "for whom the bell tolls".)

PM_
01-06-2006, 11:26 AM
i should have explained myself better. never meant to imply that the innocent people were hanging with the wrong crowd. should have been more specific and say that most of the shootings are related to gangs and most of the people killed were invloved with gangs/drugs in some way.

TO is very safe and I never feel scared or wary when i'm downtown. can't say same for when i was in downtown Detroit or Chicago.

thanks for the cbc link by the way, not like the story has been all over the news or anything. :rolleyes:

no prob, I guess out here west they escalate things a great deal.
It's funny how diverse the demographics are in the same country re: gang related violence. Out west there are a lot of Indo-Canadian males getting caught up trading bullets and there it's African-Americans (or Canadian I should say).

Go figure.

JediMindTrick
01-06-2006, 11:39 AM
I think PM is right. Last year the number of crimes in Toronto has gone way up. Some times we get 2 or 3 shootings per day. Montreal is more violent but Toronto is catching up.

Mr.Federer
01-06-2006, 02:43 PM
I think PM is right. Last year the number of crimes in Toronto has gone way up. Some times we get 2 or 3 shootings per day. Montreal is more violent but Toronto is catching up.

why is montreal more violent??? I don't think so...

scez
01-06-2006, 11:21 PM
There has been quite a bit of shooting lately, well more then usual in Toronto. But I also think the conservatives are trying to push it more because the liberals have not been strict enough with the punishment and had not followed on there promose to hire X amount of cops.

Cruzer
01-07-2006, 09:44 AM
I grew up in Toronto/Mississauga and being a regular online reader of the Toronto Star Toronto does is no longer the nice safe city I knew. Up until the time I left 22 years ago you could feel perfectly sale riding the subway right up until the time it stopped at 1:00 am. There were a very, very few parts of the city that you probably did not want to walk through at night alone and in any case you did not have to worry about being SHOT. While the murder rate in Toronto may not be as high in other cities it is where shootings are occuring that is particularly disturbing. When I lived in Toronto never in anyone's wildest dreams would anyone expect a gun battle to break out in the Yonge-Dundas area. The Boxing Day shooting was not the first one in the downtown area in 2005 either.
There are several things that could be done to improve things to deal with the problems however it is doubtful the politicians will have the guts to take the necessary steps. There is talk about installing a large number of surveillance cameras as a means to catch perpetrators however that will just result in a lot money being spent so the police can have nice videoptapes of people being shot by shooters they cannot identify.
Torontoians used to able to brag, particularly to Americans that Toronto was a very clean, safe, big city that you always felt perfectly safe in. Not anymore.

PM_
01-07-2006, 10:17 AM
I grew up in Toronto/Mississauga and being a regular online reader of the Toronto Star Toronto does is no longer the nice safe city I knew. Up until the time I left 22 years ago you could feel perfectly sale riding the subway right up until the time it stopped at 1:00 am. There were a very, very few parts of the city that you probably did not want to walk through at night alone and in any case you did not have to worry about being SHOT. While the murder rate in Toronto may not be as high in other cities it is where shootings are occuring that is particularly disturbing. When I lived in Toronto never in anyone's wildest dreams would anyone expect a gun battle to break out in the Yonge-Dundas area. The Boxing Day shooting was not the first one in the downtown area in 2005 either.
There are several things that could be done to improve things to deal with the problems however it is doubtful the politicians will have the guts to take the necessary steps. There is talk about installing a large number of surveillance cameras as a means to catch perpetrators however that will just result in a lot money being spent so the police can have nice videoptapes of people being shot by shooters they cannot identify.
Torontoians used to able to brag, particularly to Americans that Toronto was a very clean, safe, big city that you always felt perfectly safe in. Not anymore.

Thanks Cruzer.
This is what I wanted to hear.:cool: