PDA

View Full Version : Just got thrown a curve ball

Hartzy
01-05-2006, 04:48 PM
So I have known for about 2 months that next year I would be traveling to europe to take a year of high school before college. Though I am a senior now, it works out because there are 13 grades in most european counties and many American school award scholarships to those who study abroad in high school.

Well, It was already decided where I was going. I was going to live in Germany with friends that I already know from a former exchange and my host and rotary district sponsor situations were all worked out. Not so fast...

Today I received a call from my outbound coordinator who told me that something came up. There was a clause in my English location assignment form that said I must be 16-18 year of age on arrival. However, the European assignment rules state that they cound decimals. So I would be 18.8 on arrival and thus I am not allowed to study a year in Germany. :(

So now I'm freaking out. She felt really bad and she argued my case with Rotary International and got nowhere. I was made obselete by a clause that wasn't even in the English copy of the form.

Then she told me that she put my info back on the market. She explained that it's like fishing and that a club will hopefully jump on me. Within a day I got offers to study in Switzerland and the Czech Republic. I decided that Switzerland would be best because I already speak High German. I can't understand Swiss German but I guess I can learn within a few months.

So I guess that it's like I wanted to go to Harvard and got into Yale;)

Askmeo88
01-05-2006, 05:23 PM
On the bright side, if you bump into Federer, tell him I said "hi." ;)

Freedom
01-05-2006, 05:32 PM
Ooh, bring back chocolate.