PDA

View Full Version : Michael Mann or Jerry Bruckheimer?

PM_
01-05-2006, 10:24 PM
Whose action movies have you enjoyed more?

With Mann, The Insider, Collateral, and Heat come to mind. Hard to beat. Not to mention Miami Vice the movie is in pre-production now.
But some of my favourite films from Bruckheimer are Blackhawk Down, Enemy of the State, but most of my favs were co-produced with the late Don Simpson.

Heres a breakdown of highlights:

MM
The Aviator
Collateral
Ali
The Insider
Heat
The Last of the Mohicans
Miami Vice (tv series)

Bruckheimer
National Treasure
Black Hawk Down
Remember the Titans
Gone in Sixty Seconds
Enemy of the State
Armageddon
Con Air
CSI (tv series)

BreakPoint
01-05-2006, 11:26 PM
Don't forget "The Rock", one of the best action thrill packed movies of all time, and "The Amazing Race", the best reality show on TV, both by Bruckenheimer.

PM_
01-05-2006, 11:31 PM
Didn't include The Rock b/c the last movie he co-produced with Don Simpson and can't give props for half work's credit.

armand
01-05-2006, 11:35 PM
I would have to go with Michael Mann because Bruckheimer has some serious craters(not blemishes) on his CV. Con-Air, Armageddon, Gone in 60 Seconds were all bad. I haven't seen National Treasure nor Enemy of the State, but I think they weren't great either.

Michael Mann's films get an average of 76% on rottentomatoes.com, while Bruckheimer gets only 44%.
Easy selection.

EDIT: Sorry, I confused Enemy of the State with Bad Company

BreakPoint
01-05-2006, 11:51 PM
How about "Pearl Harbor", another great action flick by the Bruckenheimer/Bay duo (like "The Rock")?

PM_
01-05-2006, 11:58 PM
How about "Pearl Harbor", another great action flick by the Bruckenheimer/Bay duo (like "The Rock")?

LOL your joking right. Pearl Harbour is one of the worst action flicks I've ever seen! BP, your humour never ceases to amaze me.:D

BreakPoint
01-06-2006, 12:14 AM
LOL your joking right. Pearl Harbour is one of the worst action flicks I've ever seen! BP, your humour never ceases to amaze me.:D

Well, to each his own because I really liked "Pearl Harbor". I love WWII movies, especially ones with plane action, and this one had tons of it. I just watched it again over Xmas on DVD. The fighting scenes were great as was the rest of the movie. Great entertainment! That scene of the Japanese Zeros flying past the kids playing baseball was great. So was the acting by Jon Voight as FDR and Alec Baldwin as Doolittle. Besides, Kate Beckensale is the hottest babe in cinema! :D

rilokiley
01-06-2006, 12:54 AM
IMO, Heat totally kills any movie Bruckheimer's ever made.

Bruckheimer/Bay...:D

PM_
01-06-2006, 10:32 AM
IMO, Heat totally kills any movie Bruckheimer's ever made.

Bruckheimer/Bay...:D

Yes Heat is a classic. Can't forget that diner scene between Pacino and De Niro.

Pacino: You know, we are sitting here, you and I, like a couple of regular fellas. You do what you do, and I do what I gotta do. And now that we've been face to face, if I'm there and I gotta put you away, I won't like it. But I tell you, if it's between you and some poor ******* whose wife you're gonna turn into a widow, brother, you are going down.

De Niro: There is a flip side to that coin. What if you do got me boxed in and I gotta put you down? Cause no matter what, you will not get in my way. We've been face to face, yeah. But I will not hesitate. Not for a second.

I can't wait until Miami Vice is released!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

PM_
01-06-2006, 10:36 AM
Well, to each his own because I really liked "Pearl Harbor". I love WWII movies, especially ones with plane action, and this one had tons of it. I just watched it again over Xmas on DVD. The fighting scenes were great as was the rest of the movie. Great entertainment! That scene of the Japanese Zeros flying past the kids playing baseball was great. So was the acting by Jon Voight as FDR and Alec Baldwin as Doolittle. Besides, Kate Beckensale is the hottest babe in cinema! :D

Bp, I'm trying to follow you reason here. I love WWII movies too but I didn't feel Pearl Harbour really felt like one. Remember suddenly after the harbour bombings, the film skips dates ahead to a retaliation. And the same guys that lead it are the ones that were in Hawaii. Just stupid IMHO.
But I'm glad you enjoyed it.
I even remember you once saying how great The Rock is. I liked it too but you cannot seriously call it a true war movie either. It's just too commercialized, like PH was. However, that scene in the shower room when Michael Biehn's SEALS infiltrate Alcatraz is one the memorable action sequences I'll remember.

BreakPoint
01-06-2006, 11:16 AM
Bp, I'm trying to follow you reason here. I love WWII movies too but I didn't feel Pearl Harbour really felt like one. Remember suddenly after the harbour bombings, the film skips dates ahead to a retaliation. And the same guys that lead it are the ones that were in Hawaii. Just stupid IMHO.
But I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Oh come on, it's a movie. You have to give it some leeway. It's not a boring documentary or some newsreels, it's supposed to be spiced up for entertainment purposes. The two guys are the stars of the movie, so of course, they're going to be in the rest of the movie and be involved with the retaliation. They're not going to introduce two new stars just for the last half hour of the movie and leave the audience wondering what the heck ever happened to our two heros, right? Besides, it was explained that because they were the only two American pilots that had any WWII combat experience whatsoever (due to them shooting down all those Zeros during the PH attack), that's why they were chosen for this special top secret mission. And all the aircraft carriers at that time were based in Hawaii so why shouldn't the pilots be based in Hawaii also?

I even remember you once saying how great The Rock is. I liked it too but you cannot seriously call it a true war movie either. It's just too commercialized, like PH was. However, that scene in the shower room when Michael Biehn's SEALS infiltrate Alcatraz is one the memorable action sequences I'll remember.
Where did I call it a war movie? I didn't. I said it was a great action movie. The car chase through the hilly streets of San Francisco in the Hummer and yellow Ferrari was great, so was that shower room scene, and the suspense and intensity of the movie, interlaced with Nick Cage's comic relief. The acting by Sean Connery was great, and the acting by Ed Harris was just phenomenal (he deserved to win the Oscar for that performance IMO). Another great scene was when Sean Connery alluded to his past roles as James Bond 007. When Cage asked him, "Where did you learn to do all that?", Connery responded, "I was taught by the best, British Intelligence". Ha ha ha ha. I got a real kick out of that comment. :D

BTW, what wrong with commercialized? Does it make a movie less exciting and entertaining? Does it make the acting worse? That's all I care about. Bigger budgets usually mean more special effects and more action, meaning more fun. :D

35ft6
01-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Mann didn't direct The Aviator.

simi
01-06-2006, 11:30 AM
Tomorrow night is supposed to be a "sneak preview" of Glory Road, produced by Jerry Bruckheimer. Josh Lucas plays Western Texas College's (later renamed UTEP, Univ of Texas at El Paso) Don Haskins and is the story about their 1966 NCAA basketball national championship season. The story is unique in that Don Haskins was "colorblind" in his recruitment of players and for the first time in the South, he played a starting lineup that was all-black.

It's going to be a good movie. Based on a true story. The reviewer said that it is Hoosiers with a conscience. Hope I can find a theater tomorrow that is going to show it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0385726/ for more info on "Glory Road".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Haskins for more info on Don Haskins.

- - - - -

edited to add URLs

Keifers
01-06-2006, 01:26 PM
Heat -- one of the all-time great action movies -- takes Michael far ahead of Jerry in my book. Can't see Bruck ever bringing the same depth and insight to his action flicks as Mann does, but then again, he may not particularly want to for the audience he's targeting.

PM_
01-06-2006, 01:29 PM
Mann didn't direct The Aviator.

Who said he directed it?

Bp,
okay I won't argue you on Pearl Harbour. I know plot had to stay uniform and so naturally they chose the two stars to go on this "special mission", but didn't you find that a bit cheesy. I did. Yeah, the movie has some scenic highlights like that scene you mentioned of the planes flying over the ballgame but that was in the teaser far before the film even came out.
I had expected so much more in the theatre and in the end it was a huge let-down. That's what I mean by being commercialized. The teasers and trailers give one a false sense of anticipation and in the end it just becomes a disappointment. But for a few as yourself, I'm glad it did something for you.

My bad if I insuated that you called The Rock a war movie. Yes, it isn't and it was a good movie. I just can't understand how you can compare this to PH.

I have to admit I will always appreciate a big budget movie for all the reasons you listed. It's usually worth the 8 bux for me to spend in the theatre but there are so many exceptions when the plot and characters are so bad and the producer couldn't follow such a simple cardinal rule make a good story.
Bad Boys 2 and Fast and Furious 2 are examples.

Someone once said all it takes to make a good movie are two things:
A good story and a good characters.

What's so hard about that?

35ft6
01-06-2006, 01:32 PM
Who said he directed it?

True. He's one of 19 producers, though. It's sort of a stretch to call The Aviator a Michael Mann film. I'm not really sure which of The Aviators qualities you can confidently attribute to Mann.

mansrow
01-06-2006, 02:45 PM
Jerry Bruckheimer all the way, coz CSI and Armageddon are the best. Bruckheimer is almost in everywhere !!!!!

bcaz
01-06-2006, 05:53 PM
Michael Mann did Manhunter back in the 1980s, which was based on the Thomas Harris novel, Red Dragon -- one of the best suspense novels ever written. Manhunter was relatively low-budget but a much better movie than the Red Dragon flick that was produced a few years ago, with Anthony Hopkins as Lecter in this prequel. This gives Mann the win in this contest IMO.

hummer23
01-06-2006, 06:18 PM
Bruckheimer directed like 3 or 4 moveis at least, with Nicholas Cage, gone in 60 seconds, con air, the rock, and a few more i think. Its a good combo.

Phil
01-07-2006, 12:50 PM

Possibly one of the worst feature films made in the last 20 years-cheesier than "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" and "Plan 9 From Outer Space", both of which didn't take themselves quite as seriously and were produced for about 1/10,000th of PH's budget. If anyone has seen "Team America"...that's about the best comment on Pearl Harbor you'll ever see. But coming from Brokedi-k, this doesn't surprise me.

Ben Afleck-such a "Quality" actor. From the Lee Strasbourg/Marlon Brando Method school of acting, right?

Docalex007
01-07-2006, 01:56 PM
I thought Bruckheimer did a good job producing King Arthur in '04.

..zzzzzzzz....