PDA

View Full Version : Do you play tennis in rain?

PM_
01-06-2006, 12:00 AM
I do and absolutely love it. Where I live it rains 9 months a year here you see many a familiar face at my bank of courts swishing and swashing through rain and puddles.

How about you guys?

Klippy
01-06-2006, 12:38 AM
No, although I wish I could. I don't like getting my racquet wet!

nickybol
01-06-2006, 12:59 AM
During a official match I continu if I have to, till there is water standing on the court. When I teach, I continu if the rain is not very heavy, when it gets heavy or when there`s water standing on the court, I stop teaching.

Mr.Federer
01-06-2006, 08:22 AM
You should've add to your poll, if it's not too hard...and sometimes...

simi
01-06-2006, 08:33 AM
Absolutely not! I play on hard courts and it is too easy to slip when the concrete is wet, especially on the painted lines.

Docalex007
01-06-2006, 08:35 AM
I love it, me and my partner were so forward to playing tennis one day that it started to rain and we decided to keep playing anyway. Why? Because we are addicted to the game.

How about the physics of a wet court? WOW! The thin sheet of water on the court made the ball stay very low and very very fast. I'm talking super fast since it hydroplaned across the surface. Haha, it had both of us laughing since they were so fast. And of course the ball was very heavy, as it had soaked all the rainwater until it reached saturation point.

What can I say, you have to watch out from wiping out on your a-ss, but i'd do it again sometime.

Ripper
01-06-2006, 08:49 AM
Where I live it rains 9 months a year...

Sounds like somewhere in the tropics.

Sixpointone
01-06-2006, 08:57 AM
Due to wanting to protect my knees and ankles, I do not play Tennis if it is raining outside.

Rickson
01-06-2006, 09:34 AM
I use natural gut.

nViATi
01-06-2006, 10:14 AM
It screws up your footwork. You get to the ball late all the time because you take smaller steps so you don't fall.

35ft6
01-06-2006, 10:57 AM
When I was a kid I would play in the rain. The last time I did it we just hit volley to volley.

PM_
01-06-2006, 11:18 AM
I love it, me and my partner were so forward to playing tennis one day that it started to rain and we decided to keep playing anyway. Why? Because we are addicted to the game.

How about the physics of a wet court? WOW! The thin sheet of water on the court made the ball stay very low and very very fast. I'm talking super fast since it hydroplaned across the surface. Haha, it had both of us laughing since they were so fast. And of course the ball was very heavy, as it had soaked all the rainwater until it reached saturation point.

What can I say, you have to watch out from wiping out on your a-ss, but i'd do it again sometime.

Yeah LOL my game is futile b/c topspin doesn't work in the rain and the harder I try to top it the closer it lands to the service line.:D And you can forget about pace.
Rainy conditions suit the eastern grip flatliner.

I actually lost a proset last weekend to a 2.5 pusher.:mad:

Ripper: Vancouver

Feņa14
01-06-2006, 12:57 PM
I am English, if I didn't play in the rain then I wouldn't be able to play at all ;)

simi
01-06-2006, 01:27 PM
I am English, if I didn't play in the rain then I wouldn't be able to play at all ;)

I needed a laugh today. Thanks.

GRANITECHIEF
01-06-2006, 03:25 PM
I played in the snow last week. Just a volley-volley game, but it was fun. I've played in the rain before too. Kinda fun i a novel sort of way.

roddick_rulz
01-06-2006, 03:28 PM
I've played tennis in the rain and the courts are uneven...it's bad the ball always falls in the puddles. Otherwise i might.

Muse
01-06-2006, 05:40 PM
I use gut in my racquets (or at least half gut), so there's that issue. Plus i hate slogging around in the rain, getting my racquet wet, and having balls that dont bounce.

Askmeo88
01-06-2006, 06:05 PM
Back in NZ, we would play in the rain just to see all the awesome water-spirals that wet balls would create when hit with spin. ;)

Too bad it doesn't rain here...

jonolau
01-06-2006, 06:14 PM
The timing of this thread counldn't come at a better time ... Singapore is going through intermittent rain these past 2 weeks. Rains for 3 mins, stops for 30. Just when the court is starting to dry up, the cycle begins ...

My wife is using this as a great reason to drag me down to the shops ... sorry, she drags herself to the shops (yeah, right, like I believe she's dreading shopping and trawling the malls ...) while I mind the kids.

jonolau
01-06-2006, 06:17 PM
... and my avatar sums it all up. When Daddy is left alone with the kids, they have to start playing dress up with Barney bag on head ... she's probably perplexed and wondering when the rain will stop.

Rain, rain, go away,
Let my Daddy go and play.
So he doesn't have to stay at home,
and make me play these silly games.

ibemadskillzz
01-06-2006, 07:40 PM
no way, because the lines are really slick when wet. you can easily get injured if you slip.

Ronaldo
01-06-2006, 07:46 PM
Play on clay, doesn't matter if it rains, just find more dry balls.

Jon Terminator
01-06-2006, 08:17 PM
I play when I rains all the time...indoors that is

jonolau
01-07-2006, 01:12 AM
The problem we have in the tropics is not the slippery line, but slippery slime. When the courts are shaded and don't dry out properly after the rain, we get algal growth.

StraightSets
01-07-2006, 01:31 AM
I'll always want to play in the rain, but its up to the supervisors if the court is playable or ont. Generally, drizzle is ok, but when it starts raining, we usually come off for a break.

meh
01-07-2006, 01:39 AM
Only if my strings are dead already.

But I live in sunny Cali and don't get too much rain, except for during December

equinox
01-07-2006, 06:17 AM
Yes.

But not on hardcourts.

Clay until it gets too slippery.

Syngrass i play for as long possible.

I don't suggest playing in slippery conditions.

Seen people become injured.

Broken wrists and legs from slipping on lines.

theace21
01-07-2006, 09:22 AM
All we have around here are hard courts. The club where I play won't even let you on the courts if the are wet.

AngeloDS
01-07-2006, 11:58 AM
Do I play tennis in the rain? Yes, indoors. I don't play tennis outside in the rain for a few reasons: injuries, ruining racquet/strings, ruining shoes, and it won't improve my tennis that much.

I need to make sure my body is free of injuries off-season so when tennis season starts I'm not handicapped.

Koaske
01-07-2006, 12:13 PM
Depends on if it rains hard or not. Little rain is nothing and if heavier rain lasts only for few minutes, it doesn't prevent playing.

golden chicken
01-07-2006, 12:39 PM
play a doubles match at the 3.5 level during a snow flurry--it's a gusty cold wind at 30 degrees with snow falling around you. it melts on the (hard)court and then you have standing water with snowflakes in it.

after that, rain isn't that big a deal

PBODY99
01-07-2006, 05:19 PM
I play longer on a soft court,( clay or Haar-tru ) if it is just a light drizzle and it is warm. On hard only until the lines get slick.:cool:

SteveI
01-08-2006, 02:50 AM
During a official match I continu if I have to, till there is water standing on the court. When I teach, I continu if the rain is not very heavy, when it gets heavy or when there`s water standing on the court, I stop teaching.

Hi,

Same here...Student's safety is the most important thing. Try to explain to a parent why their child took a spill..on the wet (hard) courts??? Of course.. if I am teaching on clay the kids love the clay and the rain combo..so I might go longer if the rain is not too bad.. Mostly practice volleys and serving.

Steve

davey
01-10-2006, 10:10 PM
Due to wanting to protect my knees and ankles, I do not play Tennis if it is raining outside.

I only play when it's raining inside.

bcaz
01-10-2006, 10:46 PM
Nothing but hard courts here ... no way, the lines get too slick and you're risking major, major injury. A little rain on clay is okay, but the lines are still dodgy.