PDA

View Full Version : strings affect swingweigh ???

chow ming en
01-06-2006, 05:44 AM
is it true tat when one adds the strings, the swingweight of the racket increases by 20 ?

JediMindTrick
01-06-2006, 06:48 AM
I think the increase is more like 30. So if you want to lower the swingweight you could take out some strings.:D

SteveI
01-06-2006, 07:02 AM
I think the increase is more like 30. So if you want to lower the swingweight you could take out some strings.:D

I think he is just kidding...LOL

What you can do... NoBad and others do this.. is reduce the weight of the bumper guard by removing (cutting) some of it off. The PK core 10 lets you install strings with and without a bumperguard. Look at the specs for that frame. They are posted with and without bumper. This shows clearly the effect of the bumperguard on SW... also some here contend that some strings are lighter and therefore will effect SW... but I am guessing not all that much. The bumperguard reduction is really where you will see a great effect on SW.

Regards,
Steve

morten
01-06-2006, 07:37 AM
strings vary in weight, can differ up to 5-6 grams. Luxilon and natgut are among the heavier once. This has impact on sw for sure.

THE ANIMAL
01-06-2006, 09:17 AM
Some of the heaviest i found to be Big Banger Original.

JediMindTrick
01-06-2006, 10:13 AM
strings vary in weight, can differ up to 5-6 grams. Luxilon and natgut are among the heavier once. This has impact on sw for sure.

How heavy do you think nat gut is?

SteveI
01-06-2006, 11:45 AM

Hi,

What do you think a 5-6 gram reduction in static weight of the strings will effect the sw of the frame? I am looking for a ball park? That being said.. one could also really minimize sw by using no vibration dampener.. or using a rubber band. I know some of the vibration dampeners weigh more than others. Wilson has some big honkers!!!

Regards,
Steve

morten
01-07-2006, 02:37 AM
weight.. depends on headsize and pattern of course, but on my ps 85 natgut was 22 grams, same luxilon. Some ordinary syntgut was 17 grams. And yes dampeners make a difference too. the wilson W is about 5 grams.

SteveI
01-07-2006, 02:54 AM
weight.. depends on headsize and pattern of course, but on my ps 85 natgut was 22 grams, same luxilon. Some ordinary syntgut was 17 grams. And yes dampeners make a difference too. the wilson W is about 5 grams.

So,

Using a lighter string and no vibration dampener you could reduce static weight by appox 10 grams. Just wondering what that 10 grams will do to sw... it is very easy to test how it effects the bal point. Anyone have an estimate on how many sw points that would equate to. I know of couse it would also depend on the frame.. etc. Using say the a sort of a stardard.. players frame.. Volkl Tour 10, Wilson Tour 95.. etc.. any estimates?

Regards,
Steve

Kevo
01-07-2006, 06:53 PM
I can't give you numbers, but I definitely prefer thinner 16G or 17G strings in my RDX mid. It seems I am right on the edge of where I like the balance to be. I notice for instance that I really didn't like the sluggish feeling of the frame with IsoSpeed control, but IsoSpeed Professional was pretty good. Only difference is the gauge of string. I thought RIP Control 17 was a great weight. Felt even lighter and easier to swing. BB Ace was good in regards to weight as well, but it turned out to be a tad harsh and it didn't last very long either.

morten
01-08-2006, 06:58 AM
yes isospeed control is really heavy too.