PDA

View Full Version : crack on the racket

charlesy
01-06-2006, 04:06 PM
I have about 1 inch crack on my Yonex VCON17(just found). It's at 12 o'clock right in the middle of the head. I'm going to string this racket but I have questions.

1. I have 6-point-mounting machine. Is this racket ok to string?

2. Could this crack reduce its performance?

Thanks in advance.

Midlife crisis
01-06-2006, 05:32 PM
I have about 1 inch crack on my Yonex VCON17(just found). It's at 12 o'clock right in the middle of the head. I'm going to string this racket but I have questions.

Thanks in advance.

Any time you have a true crack, the integrity of the racket is reduced significantly. The worst case is that when you have one side of the racket strung with more mains than the other, that your racket will shatter, possibly injuring you.

Askmeo88
01-06-2006, 06:00 PM
I've heard, from reputable sources, that having graphite shards ejecting randomly from a racquet is no fun for anyone in the same room. :rolleyes:

jonolau
01-06-2006, 06:09 PM
Confucius him say, "man with graphite needle in eyeball is no fun to see."

PBODY99
01-07-2006, 08:57 AM

Thanks in advance.

1. No, not if you want to be safe. Once you start the stringing process the uneven forces will cause the crack to increase, even if it does shater dramatically. If the frame is still under warranty send it in to see if it is covered.

2.Certainly, if it is structural, but I don't advise you to use this until you have Yonnex check it out.

charlesy
01-07-2006, 01:43 PM
Thanks all.

jck01
01-08-2006, 09:16 PM
Any time you have a true crack, the integrity of the racket is reduced significantly. The worst case is that when you have one side of the racket strung with more mains than the other, that your racket will shatter, possibly injuring you.
If you do decide to string the racquet, I would say that at a minimum, you should wear safety glasses.