PDA

View Full Version : Now I know why the nSix-One Tour has so much weight in the throat!

BreakPoint
01-07-2006, 02:56 AM
This racquet was supposedly designed for Federer. Looks like Federer likes lots of weight at the throat or middle of the racquet rather than at the 3 and 9 o'clock in the hoop. Take a look at this pic. Lead tape inside the throat but no lead tape inside the hoop on his HPS 6.0 85 paintjob.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/52861683.jpg?x=x&dasite=GettyImages&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=57A164D7BE880A2749CF29186118739494D2604A015C F9DF

La Bomba
01-07-2006, 03:09 AM
You cannot be serious :)!! Why make a racquet with heaps of weight in the throat when Federer isn't even going to use it. Good find breakpoint, I never realised fed used lead tape in the throat. If it wasn't for fed ( if it was made for fed??), i might of actually liked it without the truckload of weight in the throat.

p3k
01-07-2006, 08:00 AM
isn't it just a silver sticker that says the tension of the stick? it has the same size. i've never seen lead on his racquets so that's just my guess.

Marius_Hancu
01-07-2006, 08:11 AM
This racquet was supposedly designed for Federer. Looks like Federer likes lots of weight at the throat or middle of the racquet rather than at the 3 and 9 o'clock in the hoop. Take a look at this pic. Lead tape inside the throat but no lead tape inside the hoop on his HPS 6.0 85 paintjob.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/52861683.jpg?x=x&dasite=GettyImages&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=57A164D7BE880A2749CF29186118739494D2604A015C F9DF

Yes, if that's lead.

But I saw reports that his ncode PJ is balanced, so he's not that much into HL. Sampras wasn't either, balanced at about 32.5cm strung.

Confirmed anywhere by anyone in the know, this balanced thing with Fed?

BTW, it's funny to not find reports from someone who has bought some of his playing racquets. That's what we need.

PBODY99
01-07-2006, 08:13 AM
isn't it just a silver sticker that says the tension of the stick? it has the same size. i've never seen lead on his racquets so that's just my guess.

I agree, look at the dark line on the silver.:cool:

PrestigeClassic
01-07-2006, 09:14 AM
Yes, if that's lead.

But I saw reports that his ncode PJ is balanced, so he's not that much into HL. Sampras wasn't either, balanced at about 32.5cm strung.

Confirmed anywhere by anyone in the know, this balanced thing with Fed?

BTW, it's funny to not find reports from someone who has bought some of his playing racquets. That's what we need.

Yes, that is lead.

On the appropriate board there have been reports by at least one person in the know, a stringer who has actually held frames in question.

Ripper
01-07-2006, 01:22 PM
When I use lead tape, that's where I, generally, put it.

legolas
01-07-2006, 02:19 PM
yeah, thats what i thought too

man-walking
01-07-2006, 02:53 PM
One pro stringer said me that federer used lead on throat to emphasize more racquet flex and enhance bite/dwell-time a bit.
Later on, after 2002 season, he switched from full gut to ALUrough/gut hybrid and then removed the lead (at least there).

str33t
01-07-2006, 02:58 PM
looks like the sticker that has the racquets specs to me

man-walking
01-07-2006, 03:08 PM
One pro stringer said me that federer used lead on throat to emphasize more racquet flex and enhance bite/dwell-time a bit.
Later on, after 2002 season, he switched from full gut to ALUrough/gut hybrid and then removed the lead (at least there).
Emmm... no, excuse me, he didn't remove the lead, precisely he started to use lead (on throat) and alu-rough/gut setup after US Open 2003.

THE ANIMAL
01-07-2006, 05:19 PM
The main reason why lead is added to the throat is to increase the overall weight of the racket without changing the swing weight and balance of the racket you have to remember rackets can vary buy as much as 10 g in swing weight and overall weight between light ones and the heavy ones especially Wilson’s. So I recon it’s just a racket that has been matched and to match it the lead has to have been placed in this position or he’s experimenting and trying a slightly heavier overall racket. You can find other pics of Fed with the lead in different places all over the racket when he was using the ps85. That is how pros rackets are all matched. If you have a no of the same rackets 4, 6 or 8 etc and take them to a pro racket matcher who does the job on a Bab RDC machine to match them all up I guarantee you the rackets will come back with different amounts of lead and in different places on a few of them you may have the odd one that cant be matched.

BreakPoint
01-07-2006, 07:13 PM
I think you don't see lead on the throat of his nCode 90's because that racquet was designed specifically for Federer (as opposed to the PS 6.0 85 and HPS 6.0 85, on which he used lead at the throat), so since the weight was already built into the throat by Wilson, no need for him to add any additonal weight there nowadays.

BTW, adding lead tape to the throat does indeed change (increase) the swingweight of the racquet. Anytime you add weight above the pivot point (where your hand holds the grip), you will increase the swingweight of the racquet.

emerckx53
01-07-2006, 07:23 PM
I like the old school leather string pads..