PDA

View Full Version : PS tour 90 is too demanding

d_techie
01-07-2006, 07:20 AM
Guys, Im a 4.0-4.5 player, baseliner, hardcourt. For this 3 months Ive been using wilson PS tour 90 (asian version, 316grams) and now i felt that this racquet is too demanding for me...Few weeks ago I've played using Wilson Hyper Hammer 6.3 and felt that it suits me better than my PS 90
Now i start to look for another racket, the choice is between Wilson H Blaze (95sq, 27,25"; 260gr) or PS ROK (103sq, 290gr, 27") which one do you thin better?both has a price tag for $50...please help

badger_badger
01-07-2006, 07:28 AM
if you liked using your hyper hammer 6.3, i'd stick with the h blaze. the blaze has similar weight, and is head heavy and has same head size while ROK has a much bigger head size and has a much different swing style

Marius_Hancu
01-07-2006, 07:30 AM
FWIW:

Best arm friendly racquets?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=77937

be careful with those light racquets

legolas
01-07-2006, 01:27 PM
i like the ps tour 90, it was demanding at first, jsut like my code 90s

d_techie
01-07-2006, 05:15 PM
yeah, ROK has much bigger headsize...but it's is still midplus though...how abou ROK with 93sq?which one better between H blaze or ROK 93sq?or should i try babolat?which babolat racquet is the best babolat?I couldnt find any Volk in my country...how sad

BreakPoint
01-07-2006, 06:19 PM
If you found the Asian PS Tour 90 too demanding then you will likely also find the ROK 93 Mid too demanding.

badmice2
01-08-2006, 12:10 AM
If you found the Asian PS Tour 90 too demanding then you will likely also find the ROK 93 Mid too demanding.

Agree; 93 sq in + 18x20 string pattern = dead arm.

LafayetteHitter
01-08-2006, 12:35 AM
Agree; 93 sq in + 18x20 string pattern = dead arm.

Not if you string a Prestige classic or a Volkl v-engine tour 10 mid with a good multi or natural gut/syn gut hybrid! Although I agree that if you would put a poly in that situation it is surely a proponent of arm problems.

d_techie
01-08-2006, 01:06 AM
then it seems that i have to put ROK 93 out of my shopping list....so is the answer H blaze is better than ROK 103 for $50?

SteveI
01-08-2006, 01:09 AM
FWIW:

Best arm friendly racquets?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=77937

be careful with those light racquets

Hi,

How about something like the PK 5G or PK type R. Less demanding "players" frames with more open string patterns and nice arm saving properties. Yes.. a 18 x 20 /poly and 90-93 sq inches.. playing like a board and not a great selection for long term playing prospects.

Regards,
Steve

Robbie_1988
01-08-2006, 03:36 AM
Hiiii!

I just want to say I'm from Australia and using the Pro Staff Tour 90 which i've bought in Australia. I'm not sure how much it weighs but I would like to say that "yes the Pro Staff Tour 90 is demanding at first."

How silly of me? I bought it because Federer used it and I replaced the Babolate Pure Drive with it. The first time I hit with the tour 90, I was like "holy sh*t what have I gotten myself into? I can't even hit deep with this racket when I swing my hardest. I have no power!!!!"

So yeah for a time (let's say about 1 year) I was being outgunned by everyone and I really struggled with this racket but I stuck by it and eventually I reaped the rewards. Now i'm a 4.5 player and I personally think the Tour 90 is the best thing to happen to me because it has helped me focus more to avoid mishitting, develop tremendous racket head speed and now I am able to generate my own power with this Log. In addition to that, it feels like a great racket anyway.

I'M SORRY! So long story short, I'd say give it decent shot. Play with it for 2 months and see if you're still unsatisfied. If you stick by it, i'm certain you'll love it. I know its the racket that I play best with.

Pro Staff Tour 90 FOREVER!!!!!

Marius_Hancu
01-08-2006, 04:59 AM
Robbie_1988

great story!
getting the rewards for perseverance.

Marius_Hancu
01-08-2006, 05:03 AM
Hi,
How about something like the PK 5G or PK type R. Less demanding "players" frames with more open string patterns and nice arm saving properties.

PK racquets are quite good for your arm. Do some searches on the specific models here.

altis
01-08-2006, 06:23 AM
Would the PS Tour 95 or 100 be less demanding than the PS Tour 90?

BreakPoint
01-08-2006, 11:18 AM

In a word, Yes, due to the lighter weight and larger hitting surface.

nViATi
01-08-2006, 01:06 PM
The PS Tour 95 is extremely light. You get no weight or power on your shots. I wouldn't recommend it unless you plan on leading it up.

chess9
01-08-2006, 02:37 PM
I frequently use a Wilson Jack Kramer woodie for some hitting sessions when I think I'm getting lazy. An hour of that makes a 90 feel like a barn door! I have two ROKs (93) and love them for the pin point accuracy I get from the tight string pattern, plus the head seems huge to me. If it's a windy day or I'm just not hitting well I'll pull out the Wilson nCode 95 or my Fischer FT Pro at 98. At your skill level, you should be able to hit with almost any decent racquet. Give yourself more credit for ability!

Oh, I also have the nCode 90 model and love it as well, but it's strung with gut so I only use it for special occasions. (indoors, usually)

Listen to Marius' advice about those light racquets. Tennis elbow is not something you want.

Good luck with your hunt for the Ms. World of racquets. Been there...

-Robert
________
Latina Cams (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/latin-girls/)

pham4313
01-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Just bought a brand new PS Tour 90 on the famous auction site. Cant wait to play with it. With the flex at 68, would it be a lil harsh on the arm? Whats a good tension to string at? I have my ncode strung at 55 lbs and it feels okay. Maybe i ll string the PS tour 90 at 53 lbs and see how it feels.

Keifers
01-08-2006, 05:15 PM
Like the PS 6.0 95 and 85 and some other Pro Staffs, the PS Tour 90 does not play nearly as stiff as its ra spec would suggest. The stiffness is measured at the throat area; the hoops are flexier.

Re string tension, I have one strung with BDE 17/Gosen Jim Courier 16 @ 56lbs, and one strung with Gamma Revelation 17 (a relatively soft synthetic) @ 60lbs, which is top of the recommended range. No harshness with either set up.

d_techie
01-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Hiiii!

I just want to say I'm from Australia and using the Pro Staff Tour 90 which i've bought in Australia. I'm not sure how much it weighs but I would like to say that "yes the Pro Staff Tour 90 is demanding at first."

How silly of me? I bought it because Federer used it and I replaced the Babolate Pure Drive with it. The first time I hit with the tour 90, I was like "holy sh*t what have I gotten myself into? I can't even hit deep with this racket when I swing my hardest. I have no power!!!!"

So yeah for a time (let's say about 1 year) I was being outgunned by everyone and I really struggled with this racket but I stuck by it and eventually I reaped the rewards. Now i'm a 4.5 player and I personally think the Tour 90 is the best thing to happen to me because it has helped me focus more to avoid mishitting, develop tremendous racket head speed and now I am able to generate my own power with this Log. In addition to that, it feels like a great racket anyway.

I'M SORRY! So long story short, I'd say give it decent shot. Play with it for 2 months and see if you're still unsatisfied. If you stick by it, i'm certain you'll love it. I know its the racket that I play best with.

Pro Staff Tour 90 FOREVER!!!!!

thanx for the story mate...very inspiring...hahaha...your story makes me think to stick with my ps tour and give it another try for two months...still looking for my spare racket though, coz i cant find another ps tour 90 in any store in indonesia...hahaha.What do you guys suggest, should i stick with wilson line or should i try racket from another brand?Im quite tempted with racket from Babolat line or Prince O3 line...hehehe

nwidiyantoro
01-08-2006, 09:19 PM
thanx for the story mate...very inspiring...hahaha...your story makes me think to stick with my ps tour and give it another try for two months...still looking for my spare racket though, coz i cant find another ps tour 90 in any store in indonesia...hahaha.What do you guys suggest, should i stick with wilson line or should i try racket from another brand?Im quite tempted with racket from Babolat line or Prince O3 line...hehehe

Hi d_techie

I'm from Indonesia tooo.....(Jakarta).
I also had similar stories......I have changes different racquet from Wilson PS classic 6.1,Babolat PD+,Prince michael chang and finally I stick with Prince Diablo OS. The process those searching were taking long time process (almost 3 years).Too bad in Indonesia,there is no tennis store that gives demo program before we bought the racquet.

BTW...did you buy those PS 90 from, sports warehouse in Lotus. Yesterday, I ve seen Prince NXG graphite (black edition) sold at Rp 500 K. You might wanna check them....:D

d_techie
01-08-2006, 10:56 PM
hi, its very nice to have a member that also pive in jakarta...haha...what is your rating?maybe we should play sometimes...hahaha...yes i've bought the PS90 from sport warehouse, but the one in artha gading mall...unfortunately it has been sold out (the PS series I mean)....is the NXG graphite black edition is a good stick mate?is it the one with three colours?(white, black and blue in between?), and oversize headsize if im not mistaken....

kabob
01-08-2006, 11:35 PM
Like the PS 6.0 95 and 85 and some other Pro Staffs, the PS Tour 90 does not play nearly as stiff as its ra spec would suggest. The stiffness is measured at the throat area; the hoops are flexier.

Re string tension, I have one strung with BDE 17/Gosen Jim Courier 16 @ 56lbs, and one strung with Gamma Revelation 17 (a relatively soft synthetic) @ 60lbs, which is top of the recommended range. No harshness with either set up.
I used to string my PS 90s at 55 lbs. with 17G Babo X-Cel Premium but lately it just feels too loose. I've long since gotten used to the stiffness (I don't see how you feel that it's not as stiff as rated!) so I've upped the tension to 58 lbs. Now I'm thinking of hybrid stringing with some 16G string 'cause I'm still having problems.

d_techie
01-08-2006, 11:48 PM
Hi d_techie

I'm from Indonesia tooo.....(Jakarta).
I also had similar stories......I have changes different racquet from Wilson PS classic 6.1,Babolat PD+,Prince michael chang and finally I stick with Prince Diablo OS. The process those searching were taking long time process (almost 3 years).Too bad in Indonesia,there is no tennis store that gives demo program before we bought the racquet.

BTW...did you buy those PS 90 from, sports warehouse in Lotus. Yesterday, I ve seen Prince NXG graphite (black edition) sold at Rp 500 K. You might wanna check them....:D

hi nwidyantoro, maybe it'd be nice if i could have ur number if u'rent busy?u could reach me @ 08159555512, thanx

nwidiyantoro
01-23-2006, 06:51 PM
hi, its very nice to have a member that also pive in jakarta...haha...what is your rating?maybe we should play sometimes...hahaha...yes i've bought the PS90 from sport warehouse, but the one in artha gading mall...unfortunately it has been sold out (the PS series I mean)....is the NXG graphite black edition is a good stick mate?is it the one with three colours?(white, black and blue in between?), and oversize headsize if im not mistaken....

Sorry for late reply, Just came from client site ...so I just got spare time to open internet.To be honest, I didn't know exact rating......because it depends on my mood :) . May be I'm in 2 .....

I have read most opinion this thread were neagtives on the NXG OS, generally they complaint about lack of feel (may be due to air handle system). Actually, I quite tempted to buy those racquet, but I'm stick with Prince Diablo OS (asian version) - I bought it at discount at Sport Station-at Pasaraya Blok M. Today I will go to Metro Sports, to shortening and trimming handle (from L3 to L2) of my Prince Michael Chang Graphite (OS). I hope it will play similar like Diablo OS - but may be more lighter.

If you like to play sometimes, I'm regularly play at Tanah Mas tennis court- near Arion Plaza (each Saturday 7.00 pm onward and Monday 4.00 pm onward). I'm the only guy using Prince Diablo out there...he 3x....

armand
06-27-2006, 08:03 AM
Brought out my Pro Staff Tour 90 last night and it's still a very good racquet. The most demanding thing about the racquet is the uneven stringbed. Sweetspot isn't small, it's not difficult to swing but if you do miss the sweetspot, the ball can die. And I can get more top spin from it than my 001 90!

Anyway, though it didn't feel harsh, my elbow began to hurt after about an hour. And this is with natural gut and extra weight added. Shame.