PDA

View Full Version : RDX500 mid vs. RDX500 MP review...

kumat63
01-07-2006, 04:11 PM
There's been a lot of threads on midsize heads vs. midplus recently (probably too many). Those threads made me curious how I'd play with the different head sizes, so I decided to find out. I've been playing a 98" Head Prestige for the last 2 years but have an RDX500 MP in the closet, and picked up an RDX500 mid to demo from TW just to see how they compare (thought it would be more fair picking a racquet I like but that isn't my usual stick--which is why I didn't try the Prestige mid). About me: I'm a 4.5-5.0 player these days, 42 years old, played Div. I college tennis in the early 80's for a small college, and recreationally for a while after that, then took about 12 years off till a couple years ago. I'm not a big hitter, not at all by today's standards, but I've prided myself on being a fairly clean striker of the ball. I played 90-93" racquets (Head mostly) in college and just figured "bigger must be better" when I picked up a new racquet a couple years ago. Anyway here's what I found...

I really like both the RDX500 racquets and played well with both. In hitting with my regular partners the past week (maybe 5-6 hours all total), and some hitting off a backboard for an hour or two (a fairly good test of control I find), I found that I definitely had better control with the RDX500 mid. I could place the ball a bit better, especially hitting against a backboard which was interesting. I hardly had to move my feet hitting against the wall with the mid, but would have to shuffle a step or two every 4th or 5th ball with the midplus. Hitting against other players I also noticed a bit better control with the mid, especially returning serves. The midplus did have a little more power off the ground than the mid, but I honestly wasn't mishitting any more balls with the mid than the midplus which surprised me because frankly, I expected a couple more framers with the mid, but if anything, I hit more cleanly with the 90 than the 98.

On more defensive shots though, caught deep and out of position the power of the midplus helped me get back in the point better, but when it came to offensive shots, I found I could be a bit more aggressive with the mid, so it was kind of a push as far as how I played with either.

The biggest difference was serving. I could generate a bit more pace with the mid than the midplus, and more spin with the midplus than with the mid. Wasn't a huge difference, but being able to place the mid just a smidge better was a slight advantage overall--could aim a foot or so closer to the line.

I conducted the experiment just for my own curiousity and really expected it to confirm that I'm better off with a 98" head, but the results were different than my expectations. I really didn't notice much difference at all between the two frames, and if anything, I'd say I had a slight preference for the greater control and placement of the mid vs. the slight power and spin edge of the midplus.

I don't imagine one player's findings are terribly significant in the overall debate about smaller vs. larger heads, but for me, I was surprised at how subtle and minor the differences really were for my game at least, and I'm certainly not a great player or anything. Last thought--both RDX500s are nice racquets and I plan on hitting a little more with the mid to see if it continues to perform as it has for this very short test...

Marius_Hancu
01-07-2006, 04:37 PM
good work.

now the only thing we need is a sponsor, who would pay you and/or an observer to generate some real stats as well as for a radar:-)

emerckx53
01-07-2006, 05:15 PM
good work.

now the only thing we need is a sponsor, who would pay you and/or an observer to generate some real stats as well as for a radar:-)

Marius,

You have answered a couple of arm related questions for me...now I have another...sorry to hijack this thread...it seems I cannot email you direct through the forum. Can you contact me at madair@fastmail.fm please. Thanks.

Marius_Hancu
01-07-2006, 05:20 PM
Marius,

You have answered a couple of arm related questions for me...now I have another...sorry to hijack this thread...it seems I cannot email you direct through the forum. Can you contact me at madair@fastmail.fm please. Thanks.

pls post in the Health forum and we'll pick it up from there.
I prefer to do it this way.

Roforot
01-07-2006, 06:11 PM
You may want to try a prestige mid as well
since you're using the midplus version; it may be
even more to your liking.

kumat63
01-07-2006, 06:53 PM
You may want to try a prestige mid as well
since you're using the midplus version; it may be
even more to your liking.

Yes, a good suggestion, the same thought had crossed my mind...

freewalker
01-09-2006, 10:13 AM
Thanks for your nice review.

I remember a guy in this forum said RDX 500 mid is totally different from MP. I never got a chance to compare Mid with MP side-by-side. What do you think?

Redflea
01-09-2006, 04:59 PM
More than one guy...and I'm one of them...love the mid (been using them for about two years now) and dislike the MP. I'm mid-40's, 4.0 - 4.5 player, all-court game w/my time biased more towards the baseline.

I actually gave the MP a try after demoing and really liking the Mid, thinking that it might provide similar characteristics, but found that it didn't provide the same solid feel and control of the mid, wasn't a lot more powerful, didn't work at the net nearly as well, and wasn't especially good for me from the baseline either.

I know lots of others really like the MP, so there must be a good racquet in there, but not in my hands. :)

jackson vile
01-09-2006, 05:47 PM
The mids take a lot more work, I think that people should always try different things and use what works and still check around.

But generally the harder the racquet you use the better the player you will become, but when it comes to game time I pop my 95" out and I find that it gets the job done so why go smaller, thank you for your review.

email me if you want to sell your RDX500MP:mrgreen:

Redflea
01-09-2006, 08:09 PM
I think that's the point here...what I and some others have found is that the Mid isn't a lot more work than the MP (at least in the case of the RDX line).

Whether that's a failing of the MP, or shows the brillance of the Mid, isn't a debate I'll freely start. ;-)

But I agree...you gotta use what works for you.

Ripper
01-10-2006, 06:13 AM
I own a couple of MPs and like them very much. Though, still trying to find the right strings and tensions for them. I've never tried the Mid. However, from what I, constantly, read here, it seems to be one of easiest to use Mids out there. And I think that's what's so appealing about it. Many intermediate players, even beginners, really want to use Mids (not sure why, exactly, but that's another subject). Apparently, the RDX 500 Mid gives them the opportunity to do just that, without screwing up. So, kudos to Yonex!

PS: I'm kind of considering purchasing an used one (Mid), just so I can check it out for myself (no Yonex demos where I live).

Diesel
01-11-2006, 07:53 AM
I'd really like to see you compare the Head Prestige Mid vs. Midplus

kumat63
01-11-2006, 04:32 PM
I found the mid and miplus RDX do play quite differently. The mid feels heavier, more substantial at impact, more "plow-through" effect. The midplus feels lighter, a little more "twangy" sound at impact instead of the muted "thunk" of the mid. But the midplus is a spin machine from the baseline and the second serves, and it is more powerful when you're pulled wide and deep behind the baseline--it's easier to hit something deep and strong to keep yourself in the point with the midplus (a position I unfortunately find myself in too often!).

Like I said, I played well with both racquets, but played a noticeably different game with each.

As far as checking out the Prestige MP (my usual racquet the LM version) and the Prestige mid, I'd like to do it but my local shop doesn't string any mid demos and it's 20 bucks for me to get one from TW. If they want to send me one...

jackson vile
01-11-2006, 04:50 PM
If you have played with the LMP+ the mid is just more prestige experience packed in there, more power, more spin, more acurace, more demanding, more stable, more butter, ect

If you can weild the LMPmid you can litterally kill people:mrgreen: That is if you don't get tired first.:-|