PDA

View Full Version : Urgent: St. Vincent or not? Shoud I bid on it...?

SwissServe
06-04-2004, 03:41 PM
Hi

As I have just seen on ****.ch (only shipping to Europe) there is an interesting racquet for sale, for me it looks like a Wilson Pro Staff Original 85 St. Vincent... have a look:

http://i10.****img.com/01/i/01/e4/9e/49_1_b.JPG

or the whole bidding under:
http://cgi.****.ch/ws/****ISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4134755724&ssPageName= ADME:X:ON:CH:2

I have asked the seller what letters are on the buttcap and he answered KTQ, right now the price is EUR 21.00 which is about around US $ 28.... If it is a St. Vincent a pretty nice deal :lol:

Should I bid on this racquet (original SV? price?), a pro-argument is that I already own such a stick and a second would be nice...

Let me know, what you think about it! Thank you very much!
The auction will end on MEZ 22:24....

ProStaffTour90
06-04-2004, 04:10 PM
No it isn't a st. vincent, don't touch it with a barge pole!!!

(Puts own bid in! :twisted:)

joegerardi
06-04-2004, 05:31 PM
It DOES look like one, but without a closeup, or the code on the buttcap, it's hard to say for sure. Early Chicago ProStaffs had the white buttcap also.

But, at 20 Euros, it's still a great price for a great stick!

..Joe

Swan Song
06-04-2004, 06:53 PM
I have heard numerous times that if the manufacturing codes ends with a Q, then it is a product of St. Vincent and the Grenadines.

Coda
06-04-2004, 07:53 PM
for only 30 bucks...that would be a great deal for a China prostaff.

K!ck5w3rvE
06-04-2004, 08:47 PM
yep go for it, and if you do, tell us about it when you receive it.

david aames
06-04-2004, 09:29 PM
Looks legit for the following reasons:

- old style cover (midsize in very small characters. Different on Taiwan and China)
- old graphics in the throat area (prostaff not prostaff 6.0 like for China production)
- description of the inside of the throat area

A few ways to tell for sure. Combination of 2 would do the trick:

- The Q letter is the easy one (but the butt cap could have been replaced with one taken from a cracked frame...)
- Ask the seller to read you what's written inside the throat. From what he wrote in the description, it's an early st vincent with the 2 large stickers (one for grip and tensions, the other for weight and balance). The last few years of the St Vincent production had different graphics on the inside of the throat. Taiwan versions were very similar with one added line.
- The extreme ends of the grommets (at the 'wilson' level) should lead to a deep angular area (end is short, flat and round on taiwan and china)
- Red paint sometimes show under the black coating

Hope this helps...

a529612
06-04-2004, 11:23 PM
Also, the grommet channel is very deep on the SV.

SwissServe
06-04-2004, 11:30 PM
Thanks for your help! I will check the auction on the evening... but for me, it looks like a sv (no bumper guard, paintings, letters on buttcap and the weight could be right).

I let you know, if I get it

andreh
06-05-2004, 01:27 AM
I'm a European. Maybe I'll outbid you....just kidding. Its all yours.

SwissServe
06-06-2004, 12:00 PM
I didn't get it, for me, the price was to high (around CHF 70)... I just ordered two new LM Prestiges, so I don't have any bucks left :-) (I get them for a gooood price). Maybe next time. Now I am bidding on a cheaper Prestige tour.

david aames
06-07-2004, 04:48 AM
50 euros too expensive? What were you expecting? They fetch between 2 and 3 times that price on **** here in the US.

SwissServe
06-07-2004, 08:37 AM
I didn't say it's expensive for a SV, but for me as a student IT IS...

SwissServe
06-07-2004, 08:41 AM
But as I have seen the guy would have shipped the stick around the world (I received the mail after the stick was sold)... So keep an eye open on the European **** (****.ch or ****.de) often they write "shipping to: Europe, Germany" but this doesn't means not to the US.....

SwissServe
06-07-2004, 08:53 AM
Here is another SV http://cgi.****.ch/ws/****ISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=66831&item=3681873 886&rd=1

But I am not sure if it's an original (Bumper guard looks for me a little unknown, I heard that the early SV hadn't such a thing...)

The guy ships worldwide....

Good luck! Now it is cheap...