PDA

View Full Version : NXG Mid vs Diablo Mid

nViATi
01-07-2006, 10:46 PM
I've already decided on 3 frames to demo and I just need one more. Both of these frames have similar power levels to a Head LM Prestige MP. (I like the power level and feel of a Head LM Prestige MP)
What do you guys think about them?

VolklVenom
01-08-2006, 12:46 PM
NXG is a shocking stick. feels like a plank of 2x4.

swedechris
01-08-2006, 01:35 PM
i agree on the nxg mid being a weird racket .. cant get a feel from it and it just feel strange.. i played with the midplus though , on clay all summer long and i actually really like/liked it ..!! it is solid and fairly well balanced and offers good feel and control .. even better when i applied some lead tape at 9 and 3 oclock .. its not a netrushers racket though for sure.. but campimng out or around the baleine and playing angles and dropshots worked fine for me..

strings go quickly though .. perhaps due to no grommets = no dampening 7 cusion for the string at all.. + open string pattern..

but again the mid version is not gonna win the nobel price for tennis rackets :)

Aonex
01-08-2006, 01:41 PM
I've tried both frames and found that there really isn't much similarity between the two. I was very impressed with the control from the Diablo Mid. The NXG Mid was alright, but didn't have the same control.

skraggle
01-08-2006, 02:09 PM
The short version?

Cross the NXG off your list and get the Diablo Mid.

The long version:

NXG:
Of all the racquets I've owned (70+), the NXG was by far the worst. No feel, weird feel when swinging, unpleasant ball feel, just icky. In addition, it is hands down one of the worst-looking racquets ever. Run screaming from this steaming pile of poor engineering.

Diablo Mid:
This, on the other hand, is one of my very favorite racquets, and one of my regular playing sticks (others being PK Heritage C 93 and PS 6.0 85). Control is superb, volleys like a dream, easy to swing for a heavy, head light racquet and easy to generate topspin even with the smaller head.

The only issues I have with it is serving and grip shape. When serving, if my form is on and I snap my wrist well, great power and placement. If I get loose with my form, not so good. Yes, this is true with any racquet, but seems maginified with the Diablo Mid.

As for grip shape, I've never really liked it. I have an extra overgrip on it to reduce the boxiness, and it helps a lot. So much so that I would probably buy a grip size down next time and build up to a rounder shape with 2 or 3 overgrips.

Hope this helps...

skraggle
01-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Repost error-apologies

Davai
01-08-2006, 03:38 PM
Well I guess I'm in the minority here becasue I actually have a different opinion on the NXG mid. I have yet found a racket that has less power in the current line up of rackets. My advice close your eyes and see how it plays. I have never tried playing with the Diablo mid, so I can't compare the two. All the other people who didn't like the racekt I would like to ask you how long did you try to play with it? And nViATi please tell us which racket seemed to offer less power-more control and which seemed to feel comfortable right away. The way I see it is the o3 tour mid is probably not going to be sponsored by anyone and people will therefore have bad opinions on it, does it mean that it is a bad racket, who knows?

Deuce
01-09-2006, 12:48 AM
The NXG mid is a hit or miss racquet. Essentially, you'll either love it or hate it.

I found the Diablo Mid to be quite stiff - significantly more stiff than the NXG Mid. Not too much power in the Diablo Mid - best strung at low tension.