PDA

View Full Version : best strings for heavy topspin

GregLynch
01-08-2006, 05:40 AM
wats the best strings for heavy topspin and fast serves i brake strings every week

Marius_Hancu
01-08-2006, 05:48 AM
use the Advanced Search
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/search.php
keyword: topspin
or
spin
Forum: Stringing
Search Titles Only
there are several good threads there already

c_zimma
01-08-2006, 02:35 PM
Try some Luxilon Big Banger. Experiment. About $13 though. But they do last.

gonzalocatalino
01-08-2006, 03:23 PM
wrong forum....

J.Alexander
01-08-2006, 05:25 PM
For topspin Babolat Pro Hurricane is number 1. Used By rafael Nadal, So basically you know its real good for spin. I have tried it once the amount of topspin I had on the ball is tremendous.

kabob
01-09-2006, 12:28 AM
Fair warning that polyester string, while very spin friendly, is killer on the arm. Very stiff. It's best that you string poly as a hybrid with some soft multifilament string.

gokou703
01-09-2006, 12:32 AM
18 guage signum poly plasma is my rec., cheaper than lux. big banger a bit easier on the arm as well....

GregLynch
01-09-2006, 01:11 AM
well i have polyfibre hy-tech string on mains and synthenic gut on mains and its the syn wearing first;)

Roy
01-10-2006, 09:41 PM
Lux BB TiMo 18

DANMAN
01-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Luxilon 5 Star (of the Luxilons and polyesters)
Isospeed Pyramid of the polyamid wraps

andyroddick's mojo
01-10-2006, 11:23 PM
haha, everyone is mentioning in luxilon, but all different kinds. I say big banger ACE 18, because its thin, so it has tons of spin while maintaining awesome feel. Although it is 18 gauge, its EXTREMELY DURABLE, for an 18 gauge. go read the customer feedback for all of luxilon's strings, and see which is best for you.

jonolau
01-10-2006, 11:47 PM
Greg, you've got to stop posting your threads in the wrong sections ... :confused:

Anyway, back to your question. The best string in your case would be thin gauge aramid (also known as Kevlar). The thin gauge will help you get more spin and kevlar is extremely durable and takes a lot to break it.

Robbie_1988
01-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Fair warning that polyester string, while very spin friendly, is killer on the arm. Very stiff. It's best that you string poly as a hybrid with some soft multifilament string.

I concur. That damned Pro Hurricane string i hate. I gave me a sore arm and I dislike its feel. And the damn thing never snapped no matter how hard i tried to get it to snap.

Well i guess that's one good thing about it: DURABILITY

vkartikv
01-12-2006, 04:35 PM
Thin gauge natural gut for just about everything you demand :) (except durability)

tnig469
01-12-2006, 04:45 PM
For topspin Babolat Pro Hurricane is number 1. Used By rafael Nadal, So basically you know its real good for spin. I have tried it once the amount of topspin I had on the ball is tremendous.

Nadal uses Babolat Duralast Tour....hurricanes arent yellow like his strings

Bottle Rocket
01-12-2006, 05:28 PM
haha, everyone is mentioning in luxilon, but all different kinds. I say big banger ACE 18, because its thin, so it has tons of spin while maintaining awesome feel. Although it is 18 gauge, its EXTREMELY DURABLE, for an 18 gauge. go read the customer feedback for all of luxilon's strings, and see which is best for you.

I too would recommend Luxilon. I like to hit with a lot of top-spin and have never used a racket where the strings didn't move (or break), except for mine strung with Luxilon Original. I tried the Lux mixed with Wilson NXT for the crosses and it totally ate it up.

I would try the original and then if for some reason it doesn't do the trick, try some of the other's like the Rough and Big Banger. The original is not as firm or stiff as they say, but it's definitely not soft. String it 5-6 lbs less than your normal to start with.

I used the Lux with a Wilson H6 at 60 lbs and now with my Pure Storm at 54.

sharapovalover
01-12-2006, 07:17 PM
I say luxilon big banger alu power rough at high tension

gokou703
01-12-2006, 09:29 PM
i also agree with other posts. i like luxilon ace as well. amazing feel, and quite easy on the arm. i would use it but my polyplasmas are about as good for a cheaper price

Deuce
01-13-2006, 01:04 AM
No string will give you a better bite on the ball than Ashaway Kevlar. And it will last a long time. Don't put Kevlar in the crosses, though - only in the mains.

It tends to be difficult on the arm/elbow, though. But many players are fine with it - no pain at all. Try it and find out if it's ok for you.

jonolau
01-13-2006, 03:20 AM
No string will give you a better bite on the ball than Ashaway Kevlar. And it will last a long time. Don't put Kevlar in the crosses, though - only in the mains.

It tends to be difficult on the arm/elbow, though. But many players are fine with it - no pain at all. Try it and find out if it's ok for you.
Deuce,

Thanks for your views. I've always used aramids for both mains and crosses. The stiffness never really bothered me too much and my elbows have been fine (touch wood ...), I like the feel from this setup too. But the only thing that drives me up the wall is string movement - I've to adjust the strings in between every game.

By using different strings, is there much string movement in your setup?

basil J
01-13-2006, 06:40 AM
Try ashaway cross fire in a 17' gauge. You can get ridiculous spin with kevlar. It can be tough on the arm, but if you use a soft cross it is no worse than polyester. I personally don't see much of a difference in spin potential between poly's and my usual PSGD, but that may just be me. I saw significant difference with kevlar. I currently have an 03 tour set up with 18' gauge crossfire @ 60# and the racquet is playing very well. No arm or shoulder issues, but I can't speak to durability yet since I only have 2 hours with them. I usually string at 64#, so a mnor drop in tension is recommended.

Deuce
01-14-2006, 02:08 AM
I don't recall excessive string movement being a particular concern in the 2 or 3 months I was trying Kevlar in the mains. Had to stop, though, because the elbow was hurting.

I did find that not all Kevlar strings give crazy spin - it was only the Ashaway. If you feel it with your fingers, you'll know why. I actually broke two Dunlop tennis balls while hitting those couple of months with Ashaway Kevlar. Never happened with any other string over a much longer period. Ashaway Kevlar is tough. And rough.

GregLynch
01-14-2006, 02:37 AM
Well im using Ashaway monofire on my racquet because it is durable and i dont need kevlar that will increase spin wen there is enough

jonolau
01-14-2006, 04:54 AM
I don't recall excessive string movement being a particular concern in the 2 or 3 months I was trying Kevlar in the mains. Had to stop, though, because the elbow was hurting.

I did find that not all Kevlar strings give crazy spin - it was only the Ashaway. If you feel it with your fingers, you'll know why. I actually broke two Dunlop tennis balls while hitting those couple of months with Ashaway Kevlar. Never happened with any other string over a much longer period. Ashaway Kevlar is tough. And rough.
Not sure if you get Pacific strings (German) where you are staying. I tried it with all my racquets (my 4 Volkls, FXP Tour, and Pro Staff 7.5) and they moved around a lot. However, I take my hat off to its durability. I've never had them snap on me ever once.