PDA

View Full Version : Tired of Lux ...

Tim Tiger Henman
02-28-2004, 03:48 AM
OK like many others I jumped on the Lux bandwagon - but now I bitterly regret it. Lux is really durable, and it doesn't move. BUT (and this is a big but) it has an awful contact with the ball. The whole point of stiff strings is that you get a better/truer ball/string contact. But Lux just slips off the ball. You get zero bite. This can make tennis extremely unsatisfying.

I love kevlar, I love polys. But Lux is just too darn slippery. Am I the only one who feels this way?

So how about a replacement string? Something that is durable, and gets a really good ball contact like kevlar, but without destroying your elbow.

Benjamin
02-28-2004, 05:13 AM
Try Kirschbaum Super Smash Honey 17g.

Probably a little more bite on the ball but I switched from it to Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power 16L and will probably never go back. The Luxilon just has a better (ie: softer) feel to it than any other poly I've tried {and I've tried most of them}. I'll give up a small amount of bite for a softer and more lively feel.

It may also depend on what racquet you're putting it in. I'm currently using a POG mid so there's not a lot you can do to get away from massive spin :lol:

Benjamin

Tim Tiger Henman
02-28-2004, 07:07 AM
I've tried lux in the following racquets:
MW 200g, SRD Tour, RD-7, Tour 90. It plays best in the MW 200g and the SRD Tour. But in either case there is just no grip on the ball. It is the exact opposite of kevlar. Anyone who loves the grippyness of kevlar will hate the slimy sliperiness of Lux.

Why is this very important playability issue so overlooked?? :?:

Rabbit
02-28-2004, 08:32 AM
I used to play with a kevlar/synthetic mix, Prince ProBlend. I really liked it, but my arm didn't. I was installing it in a Hammer 5.0 at 65 pounds. I guess I have always like a firmer string bed.

Now a days, the tension is down to 54. I still like a firmer string bed, but much prefer Luxilon strings. I seem to have the opposite experience, I get plenty of bite on the ball. The spin I'm producing now is tight and the ball breaks hard going over the net. I really couldn't be more satisfied with a string.

Although now you've got me thinking about trying ProBlend....

kreative
02-28-2004, 07:08 PM
i thought forten thin blend had better grip than problend, kevlar is 18g. problend is more durable thou.

christo
02-28-2004, 08:40 PM
Try Lux BB Ace 18g, I've never gotten a better combination of bite and playability with any other string, string it at normal tension and put a big topspin cut on the ball, Woooahhhh. The downside is it's expensive, breaks easily and tends to go dead. Other than that it's awesome

Asclep
03-01-2004, 08:52 AM
I guess I really dont understand the whole "slips off the ball with no bite" thing. I use luxilon BB Ace 18g in a Prince Warrior TT OS at 65 pounds. I have no trouble generating spin. As for a better string? I havent really found one.

postal
03-01-2004, 11:58 AM
Give the Klip Blast a try. It is a poly/syn gut hybrid that has good bite on the ball but still is easier on the arm than Lux and has good durability.

louis netman
03-04-2004, 11:06 PM
let me tell you a story about me and lux. loved the ace 18...thin and biting....unfortunately only lasted 3 hours....tried 15 g gut mains, gosen micro 17 crosses..lasted 6 hours. conclusion: costed less than 2x the lux and lasted 2x as long. played way better, better for arm AND my arm was able to rest more since i was stringing half as much. moral of the story: any gut is better than no gut! i've never looked back...

K!ck5w3rvE
03-23-2004, 12:26 AM
try polyfibre. it is amazing. it is like a combination of touch turbo and alu power......its great, lots of bite too

danieljss
03-23-2004, 04:23 AM
i've got lux big banger in my i prestige mid plus strung at 58lb. It feels terrible, like playing with a plank of wood. No feel, no grip, just feels hard and very unpleasant to play with.

tarheelbornjohn
03-23-2004, 05:30 AM
I have been playing with Lux, but BB Ace and ALU. I have tried many combinations of tension. I have found that ACE played very well, but broke rather quickly. The ALU was a very good string, if (and only if for me) the string tension was 55 or below. I was stringing my Gama XP at 60 before I tried the switch. I did try one sting job with the ALU at 58 and what a difference from 54lbs. At 58 the string was not the same. It did not form a pocket on hard hit balls much less softer hits. Like I have said before, if you are not a big hitter and playing with another big hitter, you might not like the string at any tension. But, if you put a lot of pace on the ball and string it at 55lbs or lower (I now use 54lbs), you will see the performance of this string (ALU). ACE seems to do well between 55-58 but just not the durability of ALU.

Gaines Hillix
03-23-2004, 10:23 AM
I use open patterned MP head racquets(100 sq. in./16X19) and have never had problems generating spin on serves or groundies with ALU Power strung at 58-60 lbs. It wouldn't be my first choice in a frame with a mid sized head and an 18X20 pattern, but strung lower and with the right technique I believe it would produce as much spin as most other strings in an equal gauge.

brian.sat
03-23-2004, 12:03 PM
I've found Kevlar/Poly hybrid much more realistic. I was using Alu-power for crosses before, but, the string feel dead after a short while. Now, the problem is overcame by using Kirschbaum competition for crosses.

wahiawaboi668
03-23-2004, 09:26 PM
did u try the alu rough? my coach said he can feel the difference in spin with the regular alu and the rough version.

Radical Shot
03-23-2004, 11:07 PM
Hey Luis,

How about Beer Gut? Is that better? ;-)

I use Luxilon TiMo 18g and although it appears shiny and smooth, it produces plenty of topspin. Best string I've ever used. Much better than ALU.
________
uhwh (http://uhwh.com/)

equinox
12-30-2007, 10:37 PM
Yeah ban Luxilon type strings. It'll bring more touch and feel back into pro tennis. Maybe even revitalize the game in the process.

bluetrain4
12-30-2007, 10:45 PM
For all of you that like the spin and durabilty of poly, but hate that it loses playability or have other issues, such as the OP's, why don't you use kevlar in a hybrid.

I realize that for some, there could be arm/injury issues, so if that's a problem, then no.

Obviously all kevlar is stiff, but some is better than others. For example, I use Klip or Ashaway kevlar, which has been fine, but the kevlar in Prince Pro Blend really was too stiff.

Just a thought. I think kevlar gets too bad of a rap sometimes.

vndesu
12-31-2007, 03:42 AM
mayb instead of using all poly try a hybrid?
ive tried the full set of alu power and the rough version.
it was stiff but after hitting with 2 months with them they eventually broke.

compared to my most favorite hybrid
pro hurricane tour/ vs natural gut 17g it was more comfortable and held tension better than poly.

i agree with kevlar too they hurt so much (pro blends)
and that one day im going to try a kevlar/ nautral gut.

Stannie
12-31-2007, 10:37 AM
I like my Pacific blend on my rackets...give it a try if you like!

miniRafa386
12-31-2007, 11:21 AM
try a textured poly, like ps blue gear or sp hextreme. they both have all the benefits of poly strings, but with additional bite to the ball