PDA

View Full Version : racket shop in westwood, los angeles??

swedechris
01-08-2006, 02:32 PM
does anyone know of a good racket // tennis shop in the westwood 7 ucla area of Los angeles?( besides racket doctor in over in glendale..)
have a friend going there soon and she would love tknow.. thanks//c

tandayu
01-08-2006, 02:42 PM
For selection and price, your friend has to travel from Westwood, it is well worthy of a trip

nViATi
01-08-2006, 02:45 PM
Why not order from TW? Great prices and customer service :)

Vantage231511
01-08-2006, 03:26 PM
Call UCLA and ask one of the coaches who the team uses. Its bound to be the best in the area.

goober
01-08-2006, 05:34 PM
Call UCLA and ask one of the coaches who the team uses. Its bound to be the best in the area.

UCLA being a top D1 team is fully sponsored I am sure. So I would think that the players get free clothes, shoes, racquets, ect. right? They may or may not really have a good idea of what the best tennis shop from a price and selection standpoint. You may want to inquire with the intramural tennis clubs on campus since these guys have to pay for everything.

mverdugo
01-08-2006, 09:04 PM
It's a bit of a trek but I would highly recommend Dan's Sports in Simi Valley. Knowledgable staff, outstanding prices, no frills good tennis store. Just make sure that you plan around traffic if you are in Westwood. Dan's blows away Racquet Doctor as far as pricing and their staff.

swedechris
01-08-2006, 09:12 PM
tahnsk guys for you replies and info.. she wiont be able to get around much because she is attenting a workshop at UCLA..will be tough to get time to get out of that area for my sake:).. but isnt there a tennis store right there somewhere..? i havent been to La for many years now but i do rememeber there being a shop there near .. a small but very well equipped one.. anyone know of it? best/c

snoflewis
01-08-2006, 09:48 PM
It's a bit of a trek but I would highly recommend Dan's Sports in Simi Valley. Knowledgable staff, outstanding prices, no frills good tennis store. Just make sure that you plan around traffic if you are in Westwood. Dan's blows away Racquet Doctor as far as pricing and their staff.

the racket choice at Dan's is very limited. they do have rackets that you don't find at racket doctor, but there arent that many choices to choose from, especially if you're looking for a midsize racket (i believe there were only 3 to choose from). as far as pricing goes, they do offer good deals, but to get a great deal, you need to price match, and sometimes, they will even beat that price by a decent amount. but i agree, their staff is good and there is a lot they can help you w/.

swedechris
01-08-2006, 09:52 PM
thansk .. i will try to call them up to see what they have.. i am in europe myself.. !!
but if anyone gets a n idea of a tennsi stor in west wood itself.. please please let me know.. or if anyone at/from UCLA sees thsi post .. please let me knwo.. im also intereted in used rackets in good condition from seller in the LA AREA!
chrisofoto@yahoo.com

35ft6
01-09-2006, 02:14 AM
There's supposedly a little racket place on a street called Berkeley, I think I heard that's where UCLA goes. Don't quote me. If you don't have any luck by tomorrow night post something and I'll ask my friend who works for UCLA athletics.

golden chicken
01-09-2006, 03:36 AM
yeah, there is a little hole in the wall racket place...i think it's next to a wal greens, but it's been a couple years since i've been down that way. use yahoo yellow pages or something and you should be able to find it.

Tchocky
01-09-2006, 11:55 AM
When I went to UCLA, they had a tennis shop in Ackerman. They even had a on site stringer.

mellofelow
01-09-2006, 12:12 PM
There's supposedly a little racket place on a street called Berkeley, I think I heard that's where UCLA goes. Don't quote me. If you don't have any luck by tomorrow night post something and I'll ask my friend who works for UCLA athletics.

I know the owner of the shop, it's called '1ST STRING'. It's on Berkeley Street in Santa Monica. Give him a buzz.

big ted
01-09-2006, 01:33 PM
thansk .. i will try to call them up to see what they have.. i am in europe myself.. !!
but if anyone gets a n idea of a tennsi stor in west wood itself.. please please let me know.. or if anyone at/from UCLA sees thsi post .. please let me knwo.. im also intereted in used rackets in good condition from seller in the LA AREA!
chrisofoto@yahoo.com

i think ur thinking of westwood sporting goods
1065 gayley ave.
they got EVERYthing tennis there
sampras used to get his racquets strung there when practicing at ucla i heard

golden chicken
01-09-2006, 02:33 PM
i think ur thinking of westwood sporting goods
1065 gayley ave.
they got EVERYthing tennis there
sampras used to get his racquets strung there when practicing at ucla i heard

that's the one! and according to the guy there, sampras did used to have his rackets done there. he has practically everything there.

a_2c+
11-25-2008, 05:57 PM
haha. i purchased my K95 at westwood sporting goods...

DNShade
11-25-2008, 06:25 PM
Westwood Sports is the place. Bill used to string for everyone who was serious in the area - now his son runs it and does it. Sampras still gets his rackets strung there all the time - just check this thread where one of our own just took pics of Pete's personal KPS 88 Westwood Sports yesterday-

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=232859

They string for The Countrywide every year. Maybe not the best prices on rackets etc - compared to TW - but good none the less and good guys.