PDA

View Full Version : any suggestions for a 3.5 player?

Tenniswithtea
01-08-2006, 04:02 PM
my friend is a 3.5 player and is asking me to find a good racquet for him. He has a relatively consistent backhand (a bit flat but with some topspin) and a wavering forehand (sometimes good sometimes out of control). His shots are medium pace (doesnt cause me to move out of position a lot) and his serves need some work (more pace and consistency). He volleys about 15% of the time but has trouble putting volleys away. He wants a racquet that will help add pace on serves and groundstrokes. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Ronaldo
01-08-2006, 04:09 PM
Babolat PD, if he doesn't like it it is a leadpipe cinch to sell it without taking a bath.

Sixpointone
01-08-2006, 05:03 PM
Hi Tenniswithtea,

It would likely be a good idea to list what current Racquet (as well as String and Tension if possible) your friend is using.

Regards,
John

vinnier6
01-08-2006, 06:24 PM
i say take some lessons...it helps...alot

jck01
01-08-2006, 08:02 PM
my friend is a 3.5 player and is asking me to find a good racquet for him. He has a relatively consistent backhand (a bit flat but with some topspin) and a wavering forehand (sometimes good sometimes out of control). His shots are medium pace (doesnt cause me to move out of position a lot) and his serves need some work (more pace and consistency). He volleys about 15% of the time but has trouble putting volleys away. He wants a racquet that will help add pace on serves and groundstrokes. Do you guys have any suggestions?

If you don't mind us asking, what is your friend's current racquet? What type of player is he? Is he a baseliner, all-court player, serve-volleyer, retriever, etc.? Also, I wonder what type of racquet weight your friend can handle and whether he's into head-heavy or head-light racquets.

For most 3.5-level player, I think Head LM 4 or Head FP 4 would be something that should be looked at. It generates good pace, good control, and good spins.

pham4313
01-08-2006, 08:07 PM
he should move on to the player's line...starting with the wilson ncode 95 or the LM prestige MP....LM radical is also a good one

Tenniswithtea
01-08-2006, 08:09 PM
he currently uses a lm prestige but feels its too advanced for him (shoulda demoed i guess :O)
he's mostly a baseliner, but wants to try to be an all-courter
and...he prefers head-light

WhatBackhand?
01-08-2006, 10:00 PM
Head FlexPoint 4 - an excellent and forgiving choice for 3.0 to 4.0 players. Light, big sweetspot, good power, good control.

str33t
01-08-2006, 10:29 PM
I agree with pham4313. I just switched over to a LM radical. Before I was using a Wilson 6.3 Hammer racquet. Since my move towards the more player oriented racquets, I have felt a great improvement to my game.

AndrewD
01-08-2006, 11:40 PM
Babolat AeroPro Drive standard (not the extended length version) and Prince 03 White are good options for someone in the 3.5 range and with the needs you described. The 03 White has a touch more flex although I've found the APD to be quite a comfortable racquet with good control, excellent spin potential (its forte), good power and very manoeuvrable. It will certainly give him a bit more power but the easy-to-generate spin will allow him to control his shots. The 03 White offers similar traits but a little bit less in each category apart from comfort, touch/feel ( I did find the White to play a bit lighter than the APD).

There's quite a lot of others out there but it does very much depend on his preferences. Probably a good idea to find out how stiff he likes a racquet to be (if he doesn't know exactly, then a rough idea would still be useful), how heavy and what kind of headsize.

A cheaper option might be the Dunlop M-Fil300. I think the other two are better racquets but the Dunlop does offer good performance and more flex.

Marius_Hancu
01-09-2006, 12:49 AM
he currently uses a lm prestige but feels its too advanced for him (shoulda demoed i guess :O)
he's mostly a baseliner, but wants to try to be an all-courter
and...he prefers head-light

perhaps Volkl Tour Gen II or M-Fil 300

check:

Best arm friendly racquets?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=77937
if he wants to avoid arm problems