PDA

View Full Version : Klippermate first timer, please help

iradical18
06-04-2004, 06:25 PM
Im about to buy the classic Klippermate stringing machine. It will be my first machine to string with and ive heard its great to start out on, but ive also been searching old posts on these boards and have read some stories of distortion and such, is racket distortion automatic? Ive heard that the klippermate machine wasnt made to string the lighter rackets of todays tennis game and thats why there is distortion, can i get some feedback please?

Gaines Hillix
06-04-2004, 06:31 PM
Lots of raquets have been strung on these. It's important to mount the frame securely so that it doesn't slip. You can put som old grip material on the surfaces where the frame is held at the head and throat. Make sure the hold downs are tight, but not too tight. You don't want to overtighten them and damage the frame. I would stay well within the recommended tension range for each frame until I was sure the machine was pulling the proper tension and not distorting them in any way. Measure the frames before and after your string them to make sure.

drop shot
06-04-2004, 09:51 PM
I posted about the Klipper distorting racquets but I must say that for the money, it's not a bad stringer. I have to warn you though. Stringing racquets can be very addictive and the need for a better performing machine is strong once you master the Klipper. I too thought that I would be happy with the Klipper and planned on stringing only my own racquets. The problem was that I began stringing for others. People would find out that I had a stringer and ask me to do theirs. I did and the money I made was nice. Nice enough that I was able to buy more reels of string and still have profit left over. 3 years and 5 machines later I now am using a stand up Gamma with 6 point mounting. It securely holds all frames and I am able to string 6 or 7 racquets a night while watching tv. This amounts to about $100 for 3-4 hours of stringing. I wont get rich stringing but the ease of a machine with fixed clamps and a crank tensioner is great. I would suggest that before you get the Klipper, consider getting an Alpha or Gamma table top or stand up Crank tensioning machine. You can get one for about $450 which sounds high but when you consider that it will pay for itself in no time it doesnt seem so bad at all. Whatever you choose, good luck and keep us posted. One good thing is that should you ever want to sell your Klippermate you can get a pretty good amount for it on ****. Just don't get suckered into buying strings from Klippermate. They aren't bad but there are much better deals at Tennis Warehouse, especially when you buy it by the reel.

iradical18
06-04-2004, 10:27 PM
Thanks a lot for the reply,m 450 is kind of out of my range right now, ive got a whole lot of thigns to pay for because ill be starting college soon, but Im pretty sure that when i master the clipper i will for a standup crank or electronic machine, i appreciate all of the advice i shall heed ur words^^

drop shot
06-05-2004, 09:44 PM
I am sure that the Klipper will serve you well. Actually you can get pretty fast with the Klippermate stringer. It's very easy to transport and their customer service is one of the best in the business. They always are ready to answer any question you may have. Don't bother getting the carrying case though. I used a big plastic tool box (The kind you get at Lowes ,Home Depot or WalMart) I bought one for about 15-20 bucks and was ablet to fit my klippermate stringer, tools and several reels of string easily inside.