PDA

View Full Version : ncode nsix-one 95 vs ncode npro surge X

totomi
01-08-2006, 08:10 PM
Hi guys, I need some racquet advice. I recently demoed several ncode racquets(ntour, nsix-one, npro surgeX, nvision) and really liked the feel and spin coming from the nSix-One or npro surge X. However I think the nSix-One might be a bit too heavy for me. Npro surgeX is lighter but it doesn't give me enough pop on the serve. Any suggestions for something that has the same solid feel and power of the nsix-one but a little lighter ?

I am a hard-hitting 3.5 baseliner currently using volkl tour8. I am a rather petite female so I am not sure if the heavy racquets will hurt my arm in the long run.

Thanks a bunch!

tarkowski
01-09-2006, 09:30 AM
Hi guys, I need some racquet advice. I recently demoed several ncode racquets(ntour, nsix-one, npro surgeX, nvision) and really liked the feel and spin coming from the nSix-One or npro surge X. However I think the nSix-One might be a bit too heavy for me. Npro surgeX is lighter but it doesn't give me enough pop on the serve. Any suggestions for something that has the same solid feel and power of the nsix-one but a little lighter ?

I am a hard-hitting 3.5 baseliner currently using volkl tour8. I am a rather petite female so I am not sure if the heavy racquets will hurt my arm in the long run.

Thanks a bunch!

Hi totomi,

What did you think of the nTour? That would be my suggestion for someone looking for a baseliner's stick that's solid like the nSixOne but less demanding and not quite as heavy.

This is the stick my wife currently uses and she has had some great success with it. However, just out of curiosity, as well as a desire for a little more power and forgiveness, she is going to be giving the Prince Shark MP (the blue one) a run for the next few months.

She demoed the Surge and found it not as stable as the nTour for the baseline - but quicker around the net. The Shark pretty much splits the difference.

My wife actually plays some of her best tennis with the nSixOne 95 16x18 but finds it too heavy for 3 sets and match play. It doesn't hurt her arm - she just gets fatigued. Plus, we play in Colorado over 7000 feet where the game can get pretty fast and swingspeed is much needed for topspin to keep the balls in the court. Things are a little easier at sea-level and I think she might actually choose the nSixOne there.

Depending on how much you play and how athletic you are, petite or not, a heavy stick like the nSixOne could work out. I see 100lb high-school gals at the local club with Prince Diablo Mids (about the same weight and class of racquet) just punishing the ball. (Wish I could play that well...)

By the way, the Surge X, with the proper head-speed, is one of the more powerful-serving racquets out there. It may have been that the strings on your demo were dead (demos can be awful).

Good luck!

totomi
01-09-2006, 11:09 AM
Thanks tarkowski. I found the ntour powerful but I like the dampened and comfortable feel of the nsix-one better. Also I was not able to generate as much spin with the ntour. Besides the weight, another reason that I am probably not getting a nsixone is that it doesn't come with my 4 1/8 grip size.

I liked hitting spin serves with the surgeX, but the ntour and nsixone give me more pop on flat serves. Is surgeX suppose to be more powerful than nsixone? I found it to have the lowest power of all four racquets I demoed. I will give the prince shark a try...

vinnier6
01-09-2006, 12:19 PM
did you try the regular surge vrs the surge x....i would lean toward the shorter stick...

tarkowski
01-09-2006, 12:41 PM
Thanks tarkowski. I found the ntour powerful but I like the dampened and comfortable feel of the nsix-one better. Also I was not able to generate as much spin with the ntour. Besides the weight, another reason that I am probably not getting a nsixone is that it doesn't come with my 4 1/8 grip size.

I liked hitting spin serves with the surgeX, but the ntour and nsixone give me more pop on flat serves. Is surgeX suppose to be more powerful than nsixone? I found it to have the lowest power of all four racquets I demoed. I will give the prince shark a try...

Racquet power is a actually a pretty deep subject. It's hard to compare apples-to-apples across frames because there are so many factors at work. There are websites and articles available to help understand the subject, but nothing is better than demoing the racquets and forming your own conclusion.

The simple answer is yes, the Surge is designed to be a more powerful, easier-to-use racquet than the nSixOne. It is stiffer (more energy put back into the ball), larger (bigger sweet spot, more trampoline effect off the strings), and lighter (easier to generate speed for power).

The complicated answer is that power doesn't just depend on these variables. The nSixOne is fairly stiff as well - but weighs a whole lot more and is a bit more head-light. WIth the right string combo and in the right hands, this stick can be more powerful than the Surge. It sounds like this was the case for you.

Let us know how your demo with the Shark goes! Compared to the nTour, my wife likes the balance (more head light), and more open-string pattern (for spin). Compared to the Surge, she thinks it hits more solid.

totomi
01-09-2006, 12:47 PM
did you try the regular surge vrs the surge x....i would lean toward the shorter stick...

I have not tried tried the shorter surge. How does it play compared to surge x ?

tennislover
04-05-2006, 04:40 PM
bump? I'm curious to the above question

DURICA533
04-06-2006, 11:46 PM
Dear Totomi,

As Tarkowski said, the SurgeX is really (I mean really) one of the most 'pop on the serve' oriented rackets. When my serve isn't clicking with my ROK or PS 6.0 85 I drag the SurgeX out and its pretty much match over.

IMO, it sounds like you are not using enough wrist on your action. Maybe that's why the 6.1 does better for you, cause your arm is moving the mass of the hoop rather than using your kinetic motion.

If that's the case, what you might want to do is when testing rackets is bring lead tape with you. I know females usually don't go to this trouble, but I know there are rackets out there that are designed for player modification. For example my Wilson ROK. Off the shelf, it's nothing.

Anyway, if there is one aspect of the racket that you like such as the spin and want to keep, with the SurgeX you can amplify its mass and then it could work with your serving motion.

FYI, The SurgeX is Wilson's copy to the Babolat Pure Drive+ which is Andy Roddick's and Ivan Lubijic's racket of choice and they are one of the biggest servers on tour.

good luck.