PDA

View Full Version : O3 tour problems

devilish_duke
01-09-2006, 07:51 AM
Hey, I have the chance to acquire two O3 tours at low prices. I've been hearing about some problems with the frames in general though. Also a pro friend of mine went from the O3 tour to the Red to the White. Is there anything anyone knows that would be helpful? Thanks in advance.

Jonnyf
01-09-2006, 07:59 AM
its a fantastic stick my groundies are immense now and my seve hasnt lost all that much i just leaded it up but i havent played since that

AndrewD
01-09-2006, 06:20 PM
Regardless of personal preference, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 03 Tour. They do not require weight to be added, they do not require special strings or a fancy set-up (that is personal preference). They will play well for a wide range of playing styles and levels. They can be effectively modified or they can be left in stock form, it is entirely up to you (please, don't add weight before you've given them a full test and don't add it just because people here say you should).

You just have to work out whether or not you like them, same as any other racquet. Also, why not just ask your friend why they shifted from the Tour to the Red and then to the White. Common sense would suggest that kind of a move is made because the person is looking for something a bit stiffer than the Tour, not because there's anything wrong with the racquet.

Ripper
01-10-2006, 05:16 AM
Regardless of personal preference, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 03 Tour. They do not require weight to be added, they do not require special strings or a fancy set-up (that is personal preference). They will play well for a wide range of playing styles and levels. They can be effectively modified or they can be left in stock form, it is entirely up to you (please, don't add weight before you've given them a full test and don't add it just because people here say you should).

You just have to work out whether or not you like them, same as any other racquet. Also, why not just ask your friend why they shifted from the Tour to the Red and then to the White. Common sense would suggest that kind of a move is made because the person is looking for something a bit stiffer than the Tour, not because there's anything wrong with the racquet.

I own a couple of O3 Tours and agree with Andrew here.

KOtennis
01-10-2006, 01:18 PM
i tired hitting with it for around 20 min last weekend.
it is a VERY comfortable racquet. maybe a little too comfortable for me.
but i LOVE the huge sweetspot. everything was good but my groundies were going a little long. perhaps due to the low string tension. i would love to try the O3 Tour again at around 60 lbs with 17 guage strings. that might just be perfect for me.

Roy
01-11-2006, 03:23 AM
I like the feel of the O3 when i hit away but for some reason i don't think it's as accurate and precise as the other popular rackets e.g. N Code 95.

Anyone share my view ?

basil J
01-11-2006, 05:43 AM
03 tour is very sensitive to string tensions and added weight. I agree with Andrew nd Ripper here. You need to take a couple of test drives, try some different set ups and then make a decision. 03 tour is great in stock form, yet very customizable( is that a word?) to satisfy a large section of player types. I know people using the 03 tour who Strictly S&V, and I know people who use them who never venture to the net. It has also become popular with some double players I know because it is so easy to maneuver.
Huge sweet spot. Once you find your rnge with this racquet, it is extremely user friendly. IMO....

Mace
03-11-2006, 05:42 PM
I like the feel of the O3 when i hit away but for some reason i don't think it's as accurate and precise as the other popular rackets e.g. N Code 95.

Anyone share my view ?

I agree totally. From an engineering standpoint, it is a horrible idea to put holes in the hoop. That makes it twist and deflect the ball either out of the court or into the net. I found the O3 Red to be very comfortable and VERY INACCURATE compared to my n six one.

Ljubicic for number1
03-12-2006, 12:56 AM
Great racquets except for the fact that the paint chips very very easy.

El Diablo
03-12-2006, 09:05 AM
Remarkably, no mention of the string breakage problem frequently described in several recent threads. I don't use the racquet but a teaching pro I know uses it and indicates he's never seen such freequent breakage before.

tonysk83
03-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Used my new O3 tours all week, the 100in headsize version and definitely the best racquet I've owned. I demoed it for a day but after using it this whole week I absolutely love it. I am coming from PD+ so it is a pretty different racquet. It is great for volleys. My serve isn't as good, but I can make up for it with better shots all around. My slice backhand is awesome. Forehands are dead on. I definitely suggest demoing this stick.

byteme45
03-19-2006, 08:15 AM
I agree totally. From an engineering standpoint, it is a horrible idea to put holes in the hoop. That makes it twist and deflect the ball either out of the court or into the net. I found the O3 Red to be very comfortable and VERY INACCURATE compared to my n six one.

Totally DISagree. I played with the 6.1 95 for almost 2 years. I think the O3 MS and the 6.1 95 are VERY similar racquets feel wise, however, the O3 give me more feel, more control hits a heavier ball than the 6.1. Backhands especially. The only place the 6.1 might have it over the O3 MS is on volleys but even that is going away the more I use it. My two 6.1 95's are going up for sale.

byteme45
03-19-2006, 08:18 AM
Remarkably, no mention of the string breakage problem frequently described in several recent threads. I don't use the racquet but a teaching pro I know uses it and indicates he's never seen such freequent breakage before.

So far with my O3 MS strung with Polyspin 17ga mains and Live Wire XP 17 crosses at 62 I'm stringing at the exact same frequency as I did with my 6.1 95 racquets.

fishuuuuu
03-19-2006, 08:24 AM
The racquet felt a little flimsy to me ... I followed johncauthen's methodology of applying lead tape beneath the throat and my O3 Tours felt just as solid if not more than Wilson's n6-1 95.

String breakage is a bit of a problem, but not so much more of a problem if you were already a string break in the first place.

The initial 'problems' come from unprecented comfort, a huge sweet spot, a surprising lack of power, and the aerodynamics of the frame. After you sort through (with testing) what you can and can't do, it really is an amazing frame.

byteme45
03-19-2006, 08:41 AM
The racquet felt a little flimsy to me ... I followed johncauthen's methodology of applying lead tape beneath the throat and my O3 Tours felt just as solid if not more than Wilson's n6-1 95.

String breakage is a bit of a problem, but not so much more of a problem if you were already a string break in the first place.

The initial 'problems' come from unprecented comfort, a huge sweet spot, a surprising lack of power, and the aerodynamics of the frame. After you sort through (with testing) what you can and can't do, it really is an amazing frame.

Now, there is something I agree with! Where did you put the tape? When I first got it I put some tape at 3 & 9 but removed it and haven't gone back to it.

fishuuuuu
03-19-2006, 04:50 PM
Now, there is something I agree with! Where did you put the tape? When I first got it I put some tape at 3 & 9 but removed it and haven't gone back to it.

Try it an inch beneath the apex of the throat ... you will love it.

Mace
03-19-2006, 05:23 PM

There is no lack of power . Look at Prince's own data on their website. The 03 Tour and the whole line has too much power. The racquet has perfect weighting as is. Whatever you have observed is invalidated because you are so wrong about the power issue and that is critical.

fishuuuuu
03-19-2006, 05:43 PM
Right ... because I don't know what power is when I use my own racquet and use other racquets. When was weight even a consideration? This is your chance Mace! STFU!