PDA

View Full Version : racquet differences

didier
01-09-2006, 09:30 AM
I wonder.
How much difference in weight , swingweight, stiffness can we really distinguish.
i have a number of similair yet different racquets and i can feel the diff when
i pick them up and play with them one after the other but after 5 minutes
that feeling is gone and i play as always.
to illustrate what i'm talking about.
i have a Wilson tour 90, dunlop 200G, ncode 90, dunlop 300g.
i have the same string and tension on all of them.
the wilsons play exactly alike, i cannot tell any difference.
the 200g is more flexible but that the only thing i can feel, swingweigth or weigth feels al the same to me.
the 300 is lighter but after 10 minutes of play , i play just as good (bad) as with the others, just less control on volleys.

but the thing is , the 300 is signifcantly different than all the others (40 grams less.)
so i wonder how much difference does it all make, or to put it in a different question. how much difference does 5 grams of lead really make? is it in my head or real ?

BLiND
01-09-2006, 09:49 AM
I can distinguish between 5g swingweight easily.

Midlife crisis
01-09-2006, 09:45 PM
didier, I'm in your camp. I'm positive many people can distinguish swingweight by swinging one racket and then immediately switching to another, but as you said you use it for a while and the differences disappear. It's also why if you have a racket that gets tired and more flexible over time, you can't tell until you use a new, fresh one.

I believe too many players get stuff into their heads that a few points in swingweight is going to ruin their game, and so it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

SteveI
01-11-2006, 05:49 AM
I wonder.
How much difference in weight , swingweight, stiffness can we really distinguish.
i have a number of similair yet different racquets and i can feel the diff when
i pick them up and play with them one after the other but after 5 minutes
that feeling is gone and i play as always.
to illustrate what i'm talking about.
i have a Wilson tour 90, dunlop 200G, ncode 90, dunlop 300g.
i have the same string and tension on all of them.
the wilsons play exactly alike, i cannot tell any difference.
the 200g is more flexible but that the only thing i can feel, swingweigth or weigth feels al the same to me.
the 300 is lighter but after 10 minutes of play , i play just as good (bad) as with the others, just less control on volleys.

but the thing is , the 300 is signifcantly different than all the others (40 grams less.)
so i wonder how much difference does it all make, or to put it in a different question. how much difference does 5 grams of lead really make? is it in my head or real ?

Hey,

My 2 cents on SW... I can't pick one up in my hand.. swing it and say.. hey this one is 320.. or 300. What I can do is play with the frame and depending on the level of the person across the net.. get a pretty good idea if the frame has High SW or a Low SW. "Playing up" and returning serve will require me to use a frame with a lower SW. I just can't get the frame moving in time to return a serve while playing a big server or someone with heavy groundstrokes. Just a fact for me.. it is not in my head. Playing the net in higher level doubles will also require a lower swingweight frame. What I did do it get the best of both worlds is "create" a frame with a low SW and high static weight that was quite HL. Hope this helps in some way.

Regards,
Steve

mctennis
01-12-2006, 04:33 PM
I can tell differences in weight, SW and stiffness. I had three racquets all the same make and model. One just felt lighter right away. Sure enough it was 5 grams lighter than the others. Of course that's just me. Mileage may vary.

str33t
01-12-2006, 04:38 PM
those are some pretty good questions...gets you thinking doesnt it ?