PDA

View Full Version : ipod :(

Sam Groo
01-09-2006, 05:03 PM
does anyone know anything that takes off that scratches off ipods. I bought the icleaner and use it like 8 times already and nothing has happened and it left a cloudy residue. I WANT MY MONEY BACK! Is there anything else to try that fixes scratches?

nViATi
01-09-2006, 05:06 PM
Why not get a clear plastic/acrylic case that will also protect the iPod from drops?

Sam Groo
01-09-2006, 05:16 PM
i would but i want to get the scratches off first

Docalex007
01-09-2006, 05:33 PM
i would but i want to get the scratches off first

Ahhh, the infamous mistake of not thinking ahead. If you just recently got the ipod, you should know that 90% of owners complained about it scratching easily. Fitting your ipod with a case/skin would have protected your investment/gift from these scratches.

Now your left with a degraded device. I'm assuming your speaking of the black ipod nano. Well, you can still protect it from being further damaged by buying a skin or case.

I have iSkin Duo for my ipod nano (black 4GB). It came in the mail last week. I haven't even received my ipod nano yet!! Still another two weeks to delivery...but I'm thinking ahead.

Hey, I'm not trying to call you out or anything. It's happened to all of us at one point.

StraightSets
01-09-2006, 05:59 PM
You have to be careful with these iPod Nanos, espeically in black. I just wiped the screen wagainst my shirt, and extremely faint scratches appeared on the screen... you can only really see them when you hold the nano in the right light, but still.

I bought a leather case for it, similiar to that of a mobile phone. I feel more at ease now.

snoflewis
01-09-2006, 07:44 PM
i bought an iskin while ordering my ipod online....i thought it was a smart idea

jonolau
01-09-2006, 08:02 PM
Sad to say, you can't do anything to get rid of the scratches. However, you can try and contact Apple with your grouse and see whether they are willing to assist you. A couple of Nano owners sued Apple about this problem, I think it is still pending action.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/23/ipod_nano_scratching/

doriancito
01-10-2006, 12:02 AM
buy a new ipod, all the money you are opging to spend on good new cleanersis worth one more ipod, and next time but a protective plastic case

westside
01-10-2006, 02:47 AM
i bought an iskin while ordering my ipod online....i thought it was a smart idea

Same here, when I orderd my iPod i asked for a case straight away because i got a nano and I had herad complaints of scratching.

Cobrien
01-10-2006, 12:31 PM
If you are putting the skin on then do not take off the protective film which comes with it.

I currently have my second nano after the first one's screen cracked and it looked like a five year old had attacked it with a compass.

The cover makes it feel so much more chunky, I took mines out today and it felt tiny again.

legolas
01-11-2006, 06:03 PM
u cant take the gashes out

devilish_duke
01-11-2006, 10:41 PM
I remember washing a watch's surface with toothpaste got out scratches... dunno if it works for iPods.

Freedom
01-12-2006, 12:26 PM
You really expect "cleaner" to get rid of scratches? I thought scratches were small cuts or divots...

If this is the case, and cleaner can effectively treats cuts, then Windex really can be used to close wounds?

Nuke
01-12-2006, 12:35 PM
Get a roll of clear plastic mailing tape and apply it to the screen, being careful not to trap any bubbles. Carefully trim any excess away with a utility knife, leaving a small tab at one corner, to help you remove it when it's time to change it. This protects, and may minimize some minor existing scratches. When the tape starts getting beat up, peel it off and put on another. I do this with all my electronic devices that have little plastic screens (camera, cell, MP3 player).

simi
01-12-2006, 01:41 PM
I have a G3 iPod, the 40 gig model. Boy, was I ****ed when the battery died. Was led to believe that they are not user replaceable and that you had to go back to the Apple store (or send it in) to get the battery replaced. There was a lawsuit a couple years ago about this and as a result, Apple dropped the price for battery replacement to $59.

After doing a bit of research, I found out that Apple does NOT replace the battery in your iPod. They give you a "reconditioned" iPod. You lose all of your audio files and anything else you have on your disk. It appears what Apple does is take in trade old iPods that people bring in for battery replacements and give you someone else's iPod that was also returned for battery replacement, (after they put in a new battery).

To me, that sux. So, like a lot of people, I went to the internet and eekbay. The internet taught me that it was indeed possible for a user to replace his/her iPod battery and eekbay has "tons" of vendors willing to sell them to you.

Those with the best prices are based in the U.K. I opted to get one from a vendor based in the U.S. Price was only $20 for a 950mAh battery (about twice the power of the original OEM battery) and included two tools that allows you to pry off the case.

After a wait of about two weeks, my battery finally arrived. The two tools are of a different shape from each other, but they seem to perform the same function.

I don't have all that much confidence in my abilities, but I was able to replace my iPod battery in a matter of about 15-minutes. Your really need to be careful on several steps, but to my great joy, after replacing the battery, my iPod worked!

To those of you who encounter the same battery "problem", don't be afraid of replacing it yourself . . . or have an "experienced" buddy do it for you.

ShooterMcMarco
01-12-2006, 02:15 PM
I have a 3gen 20gb and the battery is about to die. It only lasts 1 hour if I play music nonstop. I'm considering buying one of those replacement batteries instead of buying a brand new ipod.