PDA

View Full Version : Is "Tamiflu" a vaccine ?

Aykhan Mammadov
01-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Against bird's flu ?

And does it help somehow against bird's flu if it is not a vaccine? Can u guarantee u'll survive if u use it ?

Also scientists write that bird's flu doesn't pass from a human to a human, only from a bird to a human, this is what is regarding N5H1.

Then why all the word is waiting that somehow this virus will change ( so called mutation) and then already a human will be able infect another people. My question why not to wait such a change from other kind of viruses, and why it is expected just from bird's flu ? And by the way why were these expectations happened now, not in 1961 when N5H1 was found ?

Jonnyf
01-10-2006, 03:25 PM
well in turey in thepast wee 5 people have died from bird flu yes right now its not mutated to pass from human to human but scientist fear it will mutate (soon) and beable to go from Human to Human. and i believe the reason they did nothing about it in 1961 is because they didnt expect it to mutate to this form atleast not this quickly

Richie Rich
01-10-2006, 04:01 PM
Tamiflu is not a vaccine and won't protect you against bird flu. it is a drug that helps you fight off symptoms of the flu and has shown to help people that have bird flu. There is no guarantee you'll live if you use it.

Google it and you will notice there are potential side effects.

Docalex007
01-10-2006, 04:43 PM
Also scientists write that bird's flu doesn't pass from a human to a human, only from a bird to a human, this is what is regarding N5H1.

Then why all the word is waiting that somehow this virus will change ( so called mutation) and then already a human will be able infect another people. My question why not to wait such a change from other kind of viruses, and why it is expected just from bird's flu ? And by the way why were these expectations happened now, not in 1961 when N5H1 was found ?

It's H5N1.

I think the biggest concern scientists have is that if a human contracts this H5N1 strain while having the regular human flu virus, the two could interact in a way that would allow the bird flu (H5N1) virus to copy (which is a form of mutation) certain parts of the human flu virus that would allow human-human propagation of the H5N1. This would lead to first, an epidemic, then into a pandemic shortly thereafter.

Here in Germany, our government has ordered all birds to be held indoors. We have about 15 geese in our backyard that keep the grass low which we will now have to keep in the stall.

I know your right on the Caspian at 40.22°N Latitude which puts you slightly downwind to Southeastern Turkey. I'm not sure of any migratory routes birds might take in that area this time of year.

Everyone seems a bit paranoid up here since we import lots of chicken from Turkey.

frekcles
01-11-2006, 08:14 AM
Tamiflu is an prescription medicine (antibiotic) right?

Kevin T
01-11-2006, 08:22 AM
Docalex and Richie are correct. I don't even think Tamiflu is worth the side effects (unless you are near death, of course). I had the worst bout of flu in my life last winter (the one year I didn't get the vaccine, wouldn't you know) and after 5 days of suffering went to the doc and she gave me Tamiflu. I have never felt more nauseated/dizzy/run down than when I took it. I was supposed to take it for 5-6 days but quit after the third day. Wasn't worth it. I think I actually felt worse on the Tamiflu.

peter
01-11-2006, 08:28 AM
Tamiflu is an prescription medicine (antibiotic) right?

Yes. Actually I don't think it's an "antibiotic" but rather a medicine that helps your body fight flu viruses in general. Works for some people but not all. And it's a bad idea to buy it and eat in "just in case" (since then it'll be less effective when and _if_ you _really_ need it).

There are also vaccines for the "bird flu" available (but in *very* limited supply). The only problem is that this vaccine only helps against the current known variants of the flu - IF (and this is a *BIG* if) it ever transforms into a human-to-human transferable variant then those vaccines very problably won't be usable at all (since they are very specific the the exact variants of a virus) and they will have to develop and produce a new variant...

Also - if it ever transforms into a human-to-human transferable variant it's also not sure that it will be a dangerous variant in that "shape" - it might just as well just become just another cold/normal flu variant...

So - just chill out and stay away from large bird farms and avoid eating bird droppings...

Richie Rich
01-11-2006, 08:38 AM
flu vaccines only target the KNOWN strains of flu. bird flu is so new none of the vaccines protect against it, at this point in time.

peter
01-11-2006, 10:20 AM
flu vaccines only target the KNOWN strains of flu. bird flu is so new none of the vaccines protect against it, at this point in time.

There _are_ experimental vaccines for the current bird flu - but only in _very_ limited amounts. And it's currently only really relevant for people working very close to birds (like chicken farmers and similar) who are susceptible to get the current variant.

Here are some relevant links:

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7012
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/avian/gen-info/vaccines.htm
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5133306

Richie Rich
01-11-2006, 10:27 AM
There _are_ experimental vaccines for the current bird flu - but only in _very_ limited amounts. And it's currently only really relevant for people working very close to birds (like chicken farmers and similar) who are susceptible to get the current variant.

Here are some relevant links:

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7012
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/avian/gen-info/vaccines.htm
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5133306

agreed. i meant for the general public or large scale distribution. nothing commercially available yet.

croatian sensation
01-12-2006, 07:38 AM
My question why not to wait such a change from other kind of viruses, and why it is expected just from bird's flu ? And by the way why were these expectations happened now, not in 1961 when N5H1 was found ?

Because of the money involved. It's all business.
It could mutate tomorrow or it could mutate in a thousand years. They told us at the university "You don't have to worry until you grow wings" :D (and note that I study pharmacy :-))

Docalex007
01-12-2006, 10:46 AM
Because of the money involved. It's all business.
It could mutate tomorrow or it could mutate in a thousand years. They told us at the university "You don't have to worry until you grow wings" :D (and note that I study pharmacy :-))

Just curious but what university?

croatian sensation
01-12-2006, 02:04 PM
Hehe..the only one (at least the only one where you can study pharmacy :-)) we have in Croatia.. University of Zagreb :-)

Aykhan Mammadov
01-12-2006, 02:25 PM
When I get wings, croatian sensation, I'll fly to Buenos-Aires myself without visa. Also during flying I'll catch every ill bird in the skyes and f...g shoot them for always because of their "bird" flu.

Docalex007
01-12-2006, 02:56 PM
Hehe..the only one (at least the only one where you can study pharmacy :-)) we have in Croatia.. University of Zagreb :-)

Nice. Plus I hear you're almost 21? I must say, your English skills are exceptional because I cannot find any of those "second language indicators" like one can spot in Aykhan's posts (BTW, Aykhan, your English is improving over time on TW...good job man). So I'm assuming English is actually your first/main language. Am I correct in making this assumption?

Oh, University of Zagreb eh? Nice. "The oldest Croatian university and the oldest
university in South East Europe."

croatian sensation
01-13-2006, 06:50 AM
Oh..thank you *blushing* Now you've put me under pressure :-)
No, english isn't my first language...and actually, I've never studied it anywhere except in school. It may be that I have a talent for foreign languages (which is at least what my mum claims...she majored in English&Italian and is always saying how I have inherited a talent for languages from her :-) )

Aykhan Mammadov
01-13-2006, 03:11 PM
In difference from u I have no talent to languages at all. I speak purely Azeri, Russian and Turkish, and a little understand English. Despite I was studying it whole my life I never have learned it completely. Without experience of talking with people or living in English-speaking world everything is forgotten.

If I read I can understand, if I listen live speech, especially American - I understand 50% maximum. In the case of Jay Leno I understand 20 % what means nothing. When English people speak I understand better because they emphasize every word.

Docalex007
01-14-2006, 05:07 AM
Oh..thank you *blushing* Now you've put me under pressure :-)
No, english isn't my first language...and actually, I've never studied it anywhere except in school. It may be that I have a talent for foreign languages (which is at least what my mum claims...she majored in English&Italian and is always saying how I have inherited a talent for languages from her :-) )

Well you sure had me fooled. I haven't spoken english in 8 months since moving back here to Germany. If it wasen't for this forum and some others, my english writing skills would be going down the drain right about now.

If I read I can understand, if I listen live speech, especially American - I understand 50% maximum. In the case of Jay Leno I understand 20 % what means nothing. When English people speak I understand better because they emphasize every word.

Yeah, Jay Leno speaks fast and his jokes are mostly insiders that only native english speaking people would get (with the exception of croation sensation, who at only 21, can write like a native english speaker).

croatian sensation
01-14-2006, 05:21 AM
In difference from u I have no talent to languages at all. I speak purely Azeri, Russian and Turkish, and a little understand English. Despite I was studying it whole my life I never have learned it completely. Without experience of talking with people or living in English-speaking world everything is forgotten.

But your english is quite good...based on what you write here I thought you can understand everything (spoken, I mean) and carry on a perfectly normal conversation (of course, with occasional mistakes, which I also make when I talk although "I write like a native English speaker" ;-) )

croatian sensation
01-14-2006, 05:25 AM
Hmm..Docalex so you're an American living in Germany...or a German who has been living in the USA for some time or..? (Maybe you've said that somewhere already...but I'm a Rookie here ;-) )

Docalex007
01-14-2006, 08:14 AM
Hmm..Docalex so you're an American living in Germany...or a German who has been living in the USA for some time or..? (Maybe you've said that somewhere already...but I'm a Rookie here ;-) )

I was born here in Germany and moved to the U.S. when I was 6. Lived there my whole life and just recently came back last May. Fluent in English und auf Deutsch and have slight French and Mandarin skills. :)

croatian sensation
01-14-2006, 11:57 AM
Deutsch...I can understand like 2 words of it (but I guess..."Women love you" right? :-) ) but I'm fluent in Italian and I'm currently learning Spanish. (I've failed to learn French..I gave up after a year of studying and switched to Spanish :-) )