PDA

View Full Version : New dvd format: bigger capacity = more audios and subtitles?

scotus
01-11-2006, 12:39 AM
I often purchase two of the same dvd titles, because I like to watch American movies in French and German. While many dvd's produced in N. America (Region 1) include the French audio and subtitlte, they do not include German. Hence I buy the same title from either e b a y or amazon.de in order to get the German audio and subtitle (Region 2).

Now, since the new, much higher-capacity dvd formats are due out soon (blue ray, HD), would the movie industry make a single dvd include widely-used languages, such as English, French and German? Does anyone have any insider's information on this?

England, France and Germany are so close to each other. Yet dividing up the regions in this manner is very frustrating to a customer like me.

FlagrantFoul
01-11-2006, 12:43 AM
Purchase a multi-region dvd player. I have one and it's made by Nova?
Cheap from Future Shop.

scotus
01-11-2006, 01:15 AM
Purchase a multi-region dvd player. I have one and it's made by Nova?
Cheap from Future Shop.

I don't see how that will help at all, but fyi I already have one.

meh
01-11-2006, 02:42 AM
I often purchase two of the same dvd titles, because I like to watch American movies in French and German. While many dvd's produced in N. America (Region 1) include the French audio and subtitlte, they do not include German. Hence I buy the same title from either e b a y or amazon.de in order to get the German audio and subtitle (Region 2).

Now, since the new, much higher-capacity dvd formats are due out soon (blue ray, HD), would the movie industry make a single dvd include widely-used languages, such as English, French and German? Does anyone have any insider's information on this?

England, France and Germany are so close to each other. Yet dividing up the regions in this manner is very frustrating to a customer like me.

Probably not, larger capacity is for higher quality video on higher and higher resolutions.

You already bought one? Blu-ray or HD DVD? Lol, if the format that wins ends up being that one that you passed over, that would be rough...

scotus
01-11-2006, 10:13 AM
Probably not, larger capacity is for higher quality video on higher and higher resolutions.

You already bought one? Blu-ray or HD DVD? Lol, if the format that wins ends up being that one that you passed over, that would be rough...

No, I do not have a blue-ray or HD dvd player. I simply have a multi-region regular dvd player.