PDA

View Full Version : finding tennis partners

tennissavy
01-11-2006, 10:40 AM
I will be in Ocala, Florida for 5 consecutive weekends starting in February. I am going with a friend who shows horses and likes tennis but he won't be available to play tennis with me all the time. How can I find other guys in the area with whom to play some tennis? The public courts are usually empty so just striking up a conversation won't happen.

tennissavy
01-11-2006, 03:22 PM
Anyone can help?

35ft6
01-11-2006, 04:41 PM
I don't know where Ocala is, but try Craigslist. Post an add in their "Activities" section. There's a Miami Craigslist, I know that, but, again, I'm not sure which major city Ocala is closest to.

tennissavy
01-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Does anyone else have any good suggestions?

35ft6
01-12-2006, 11:38 AM
^ Maybe try calling some tennis clubs around Ocala, ask the person who answer the phone if they can hook you up. Go to a sports store, see if they string rackets, just hang out until somebody drops off or picks up a racket. Or hire an airplane to write in the sky: "I am here visiting your fine city of Ocala and I was wondering if anybody would like to play tennis with me... my number is xxx-xxx-xxxx..." If the company that does the sky lettering charges by the character, then consider shortening that message.

Also, if you're super rich, produce a commercial and buy some time on a local station.

rilokiley
01-12-2006, 11:43 AM
There's a small university town called Gainesville about 30 mins from Ocala. you could drive up there :) since you are staying for only 5 weeks private clubs are out of the question, I guess. but there are public courts where theres always 15+ people during the night time. also you could check out the courts on campus. many ppl there as well.
or you could hit with me but you wouldn't want to drive half an hour just to hit with a 2.0. heh
good luck savy

Kaptain Karl
01-12-2006, 12:24 PM
Try calling these guys Saddlebrook (www.saddlebrook.com/tennishome.html) and asking them who they know in the Ocala area at your ability. (Saddlebrook is in Tampa / St. Pete, which is about 100 miles away from Ocala.)

Good luck. It'd be a shame to travel to such a clay court Mecca ... and not get to play.

- KK

BankOfDad
01-15-2006, 12:10 AM
Ummm....you might want to add an "s" to that craiglist.com so that it reads craigslist.com...otherwise it's stuff you mom won't want you to look at.