PDA

View Full Version : Flex rating question

THath
06-05-2004, 03:42 PM
I see the flex rating on all the racquet reviews but I don't know which direction it goes. Is the higher the number mean its more flexible or does it mean it's stiffer? Also, what then should you stay below or above if you've had shoulder problems? Thanks.

ragnaROK
06-05-2004, 07:50 PM
Higher= Stiffer
Lower= Flexible

Gaines Hillix
06-06-2004, 07:55 AM
THath, ranaROK is correct. This measurement is taken at the throat of the racquet. It's not the whole story though. Some frames are stiffer in the upper hoop than others and this effects the way they play and feel on off center hits toward the tip of the frame. Of course, you may not know unless you demo the racquet. The guideline I use is that anything that is 60 or below is very flexible. 60-65 is flexible, 65-69 is medium flex and anything 70 or above is stiff. I have noticed that it gets a little tricky in the 65-69 range depending on beam width. Anything in that range under 25mm is going to feel o.k. to me. Above that, they start to feel too stiff. Also, balance point makes a difference, IMO. I don't think a racquet that is head light but a little on the stiff side, like the Pro Staffs, feels as stiff as a HyperHammer that is head heavy and the same siffness. Beam width comes into play there too. Most Hammers are widebodies.