PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a durable string ...

Tim Tiger Henman
02-28-2004, 06:14 AM
... that grips like kevlar (or as close as possible). Does anyone have any suggestions? Basically I'm trying to get away from the Luxilon feel (i.e. no feel).

I loved NRG, but no durability.

I love the playability of kevlar - especially the grip. But too arm-unfriendly.

I love the durability of Lux. But not the way it contacts balls. Too slippery.

Any suggestions most welcome!
:?

Match-Point
02-28-2004, 06:25 AM
Have you tried Head Rip Control. I have a customer who has similar needs and really likes this string. Its a bear to string.

borisboris
02-28-2004, 11:42 AM
:o Use a poly. Try Kirschbuam Touch Turbo - has the soft feeling for poly + the durability. I just used the Gama Zo = demo and it exploded after my 2nd set. The TT deserves a try.

mackadilly
02-28-2004, 11:55 AM
Ashaway Dynamite 16g

mark rodgers
02-28-2004, 12:14 PM
Babolat Pro Hurricane

Tim Tiger Henman
02-28-2004, 01:15 PM
Lots of suggestions, but can anyone attest to the grip of these strings? That is the crucial thing - must grip the ball well and not slip. I'm looking for that distinct kevlar feel or as close as ...

sinoslav
02-28-2004, 01:34 PM
Just a note on NRG -- I've recently strung up NRG 17 for the first time and put string-savers on the sweetspot, and I'm thoroughly impressed by the durability. I think the stringsavers must make a difference b/c I've been playing 4-6 hours a week for nearly two months with them, and while the strings are frayed they still play phenomenally! Really pleasantly surprised.

kreative
02-28-2004, 06:04 PM
rip control has some awesome grip imo. also try head intellistring.

Deuce
02-28-2004, 11:26 PM
I told you, dude, give the Kevlar another shot at a lower tension - and string the (place string name here) crosses about 5 to 7 pounds tighter than the Kevlar mains.

The only way to get the unique Kevlar experience is to use Kevlar.

Tim Tiger Henman
02-29-2004, 02:36 AM
Deuce,
I went low - lower than a dwarf limbo dancer trying to go as low as he can go.

But still got problems.

I think I'll give Head rip a try as I've gotten 2 good recs on it.

Hyperstate
02-29-2004, 09:43 PM
Try the Toalson Hybrid Control. Mains are of a nylon-aramid construction. Crosses are nylon. It has slightly less bite than Forten Thin Blend but still has plenty of bite. Plays significantly softer probably because of the mixed materials in the mains. A very good string IMO.

Tim Tiger Henman
03-01-2004, 03:08 AM
Hyperstate where can I get hold of this string?

Many thanks.

Stinkdyr
03-01-2004, 09:18 AM
use Forten Aramid Gear in mains. Use a soft X string with it. Can't beat it for ball grip.

Hyperstate
03-02-2004, 12:01 AM
TTHenman, my pro shop carries it, but then, I'm in Singapore. Did a Google search. Assuming you're from the UK, try the website:

http://toalson-europe.com/en/tennis/string_ultimate_115hybridcontrol.htm

There's an online store's but the link isn't working. Perhaps you can try emailing them. Good luck!