PDA

View Full Version : Strings in Australia

GregLynch
01-13-2006, 12:09 AM
Can i ask y is it that americans seem to have a great range of strings available to them and in Australia we dont seem to have many only head and wilson and jadee at most places except the 2 big tennis stores in nsw ******** and tennis ranch have a bit of a selection

bagung
01-13-2006, 01:43 AM
you should try klip, made in australia..... i have try their legeng natural gut, adrenalin , x-plosive, k-boom, all are excellent.... compare to babolat, luxilon etc, they are just as good

GregLynch
01-14-2006, 12:44 AM
yeh but any string i want has to be ordered because they dont supply it they only really sell head and jadee and is heada good string brand and wat pro's play with it

BreakPoint
01-14-2006, 01:36 AM
It probably has something to do with the U.S. being a much bigger market for string manufacturers, with over 300 million people versus less than 20 million people in Australia. :(

I guess we do have a huge selection of strings to the point of making choosing one very confusing. Just look at the choices here at TW. So I guess it's good and bad. Bad in the sense in that we end up wasting a lot of money trying out all of these strings! :( Yeah, I guess we're pretty spoiled when it comes to choice. :D

GregLynch
01-14-2006, 01:50 AM
yeh its pretty s h i t house here the selection in very poor

Zverev
01-15-2006, 01:26 PM
Just buy from TW, they ship to Australia.
It will work out cheaper than to buy locally.

LoveThisGame
01-15-2006, 05:31 PM
Take some of ours in the U.S.! I've seen statistics like over 400 strings, and I don't understand how companies make money given that. Certainly we don't have 300 MM people hitting tennis balls, and of those 20+ million that presumably play tennis, most all don't play often enough or hard enough to go through many strings.

I wonder if we will reach steady state: number of new strings = number of strings retired? Probably not. Too many strings don't get retired, they just stay in the product line hoping for some sales which will drop inventory to zero.

But it is unfortunate that you don't get a FEW more alternatives.

Ljubicic for number1
01-15-2006, 08:23 PM
I dont think we are that hard done by here!! Our warehouse, top serve and the ranch all have a good range.

GregLynch
01-16-2006, 12:26 AM
yeah but not bathurst

Ljubicic for number1
01-16-2006, 02:18 AM
yeah but not bathurst

Thats hilarious well done:D

Sixpointone
01-16-2006, 07:25 AM
Greg,

If you have not tried them already (it is tough to tell when the software makes certain names into ********), Top Serve Tennis is worth checking into.

They have a solid selection and great service. And I am certain that they would be able to handle any questions that you might have.

Having said that, odds are that until the Australian Open ends they will be very busy.

Hope that helps,
John

BreakPoint
01-16-2006, 12:52 PM
I've seen statistics like over 400 strings, and I don't understand how companies make money given that. Certainly we don't have 300 MM people hitting tennis balls, and of those 20+ million that presumably play tennis, most all don't play often enough or hard enough to go through many strings.

Yeah, I'm amazed that these string companies can make any money at all given the huge variety of brands and models and types of strings and the complexity of manufacturing them. Look at the cross sections of some of these multi strings and you see hundreds of strands that need to be wound and glued together to make a decent multi string. Since there are hundreds of string choices, how many of each kind of string in each gauge can they possibly sell. As you said, most recreational players don't go through that many strings in a year. Still, they must be profitable or else they wouldn't be in business very long. I'm sure it's the huge popularity of tennis in Europe and South America that keeps these string makers in business.

GregLynch
01-16-2006, 02:59 PM
yeh my tennis friends dad owns top serve but want im saying is that there isnt a great selection for bathurst country nsw and most people dont want to travel to sydney for strings

Sixpointone
01-16-2006, 03:19 PM
Greg,

Now that I see your answer, you inquiry makes a little bit more sense to me.

Reason being, I should have mentioned, that I am not from Australia. And as such I am not all that familair with the geography of your country.

I wish I could have been of more assistance.

All My Best,
John

Ljubicic for number1
01-19-2006, 04:56 AM
yeh my tennis friends dad owns top serve but want im saying is that there isnt a great selection for bathurst country nsw and most people dont want to travel to sydney for strings

C'mon man you gotta be serious!!! what can you get in Bathurst? Milk & Bread is pushing the limits.

Just get the stuff freighted up from Sydney for a couple of Dollars.

tiptopperoo
01-19-2006, 05:04 PM
Could I suggest that since your friends dad OWNS Top Serve Tennis, that
A: He would be a great person to ask.
B: You could prolly get 'mates rates' on the string
C: Also mates rates on the damn string job itself!!!

You have it made my friend, stop posting here, buy the guy a slab of beer every 6months and you will have the cheapest access to all tennis gear!

GregLynch
01-20-2006, 01:53 AM
ljubicic bathurst has 40000 people i think we can get bread and milk

Ljubicic for number1
01-20-2006, 03:39 AM
ljubicic bathurst has 40000 people i think we can get bread and milk

:D ok ok I was taking it a bit far with the bread & Milk :D but you know what I mean, just freight the stuff from Sydney mate. Will be cheaper even with freight than buying in Bathurst anyway.

John.

GregLynch
01-21-2006, 12:53 AM
no the point is i want to get racquet strung with string to play with and see if i like it so im not going to buy a reel or packets from places

precision response
01-22-2006, 12:04 AM
no the point is i want to get racquet strung with string to play with and see if i like it so im not going to buy a reel or packets from places

Australia post is there for a reason mate. Call Top-serve or whoever, send your racquet to them, they will string it up and send it right back to you. Otherwise, purchase a cheap stringer ($500 AUD from Top-serve, probably cheaper since you know the owner) and order your strings from TW (that will be the most efficient option).

And finally, don't whine on the internet - nobody cares.

GregLynch
01-22-2006, 02:02 AM
well if no one cares then why did u reply ?

Ljubicic for number1
01-22-2006, 04:07 AM
Because we are trying to be constructive, but you are very hard to please.