PDA

View Full Version : who owns stringers and who pays for stringjobs

ATXtennisaddict
01-13-2006, 08:12 AM
go.

I own a stringer that I never use.

Masamusou
01-13-2006, 08:14 AM
Own a stringer that I use at the very minimum 10 times a month, usually more.

tarheelbornjohn
01-13-2006, 10:46 AM
I have a Super Stringer II and use it 4 or more times per month. Summer around 6. I love being able to experiment with it and make sure my racquets are strung the way I want them to be.

didier
01-13-2006, 10:51 AM
i own a stringer.
dont use it that much.
bought it because shops never do it right.

yourserve
01-13-2006, 11:15 AM
i have a stringer. will be busy the next couple of months. three high
school teams in town. only other stringer has a one week wait.

RiosTheGenius
01-13-2006, 11:23 AM
i have a stringer. will be busy the next couple of months. three high
school teams in town. only other stringer has a one week wait.
it's alright, most HS kids don't really break strings so don't knock yourself out.

RiosTheGenius
01-13-2006, 11:24 AM
I pay for stringing cuz I don't have time to do stuff like that. too much on my plate

Nuke
01-13-2006, 11:33 AM
I pay to have it done. Thought about buying a cheap stinger, but it sounds like too much trouble to bother with. Yes, you stringers will now tell me how easy it is.

Ripper
01-13-2006, 11:50 AM
I pay for stringing cuz I don't have time to do stuff like that. too much on my plate

Same here.

Midlife crisis
01-13-2006, 11:55 AM
it's alright, most HS kids don't really break strings so don't knock yourself out.

My 7th grade son who started playing tennis nine months ago, breaks his Dunlop Max Comfort every month. He's expecting this will be his "summer job" to string for his team mates rather than, like, mowing the lawn.

A couple of the top high school players are in the 5.0 flights at our club and do well. They look like they'd saw through something like PSGD in four or five hours.

devilish_duke
01-13-2006, 02:17 PM
I pay for stringing because I don't have time to select a stringing machine or learn to string at the moment.

Steve Huff
01-13-2006, 04:16 PM
Time vs. money. I never had that problem growing up. I always had more time than money, regardless of how busy I was.

Barricade_steve
01-13-2006, 04:22 PM
I own a stringer. I string my own rackets and for people on my HS team. Imma gona be busy in the next couple of month since our season gonna strt soon.$$$$

fastdunn
01-13-2006, 04:55 PM
I do not know why I got into stringing. I do own 2 stringers.
One drop weight and an electronic machine. I used to have
crank machine but sold it. I plan to sell the drop weight.

I generally enjoy playing with machines, basically guy stuff.
I often fix car problems by myself, for example.
I generally enjoy playing with strings. I mean for example
I enjoy sounds from guitar, violin, viola, and so on. But
I hate sounds of trumpet, sexophone or any other horn..
I think I basically got drew into tennis because I enjoy
the sensation from string bed...

diredesire
01-13-2006, 10:10 PM

Like spamming tennis message boards and flaming other members? I think you need a chill pill. Your above post isn't winning you any popularity points.

ok, sounds good. your son is gifted...... and it's ok man, every father loves his son and his strokes, and his string breaking , and his ability to get chicks, and his ability to kick other kids' assses, etc, etc, dadada dadada... it's all good man........ DIDN'T YOU READ THE WORD 'MOST' DUMB-ASSSSS!!!!!!!!!

Masamusou
01-13-2006, 10:24 PM
Like spamming tennis message boards and flaming other members? I think you need a chill pill. Your above post isn't winning you any popularity points.

I suggest the ignore function...

RiosTheGenius
01-13-2006, 10:30 PM
let me tell you, I'm extremely worried about popularity

diredesire
01-13-2006, 11:07 PM
let me tell you, I'm extremely worried about popularity

I'm not trying to be abrasive here, but you should at least have some consideration for the rules of the message board. Especially the one about flaming/direct insults to other members of the boards.

RiosTheGenius
01-13-2006, 11:18 PM
I'm not trying to be abrasive here, but you should at least have some consideration for the rules of the message board. Especially the one about flaming/direct insults to other members of the boards.
alrighty Robin Hood

katone
01-15-2006, 10:37 PM
rios, you say you have no time to string racquets, "too much on your plate".
ok..
quick fact: you joined the board about 250 days ago, and you posted 1143 messages.
that s a bit more than 4 per day.
let s say to post 4 yourself, you must read at least 8 from others. this should take about 10mn per day of your time (I know, you spend more than 10mn/day here, I do too ;) ).
by cutting your time on the board in half, you could find 30 minutes to string a racquet every 6 days, and still have time to reply to me here.. :p
:rolleyes:

RiosTheGenius
01-16-2006, 12:24 PM
rios, you say you have no time to string racquets, "too much on your plate".
ok..
quick fact: you joined the board about 250 days ago, and you posted 1143 messages.
that s a bit more than 4 per day.
let s say to post 4 yourself, you must read at least 8 from others. this should take about 10mn per day of your time (I know, you spend more than 10mn/day here, I do too ;) ).
by cutting your time on the board in half, you could find 30 minutes to string a racquet every 6 days, and still have time to reply to me here.. :p
nice research.

so I'm assuming that you expect me to have a stringing device at the office???

and I don't read 8 posts from others per day... I read about 20

Rabbit
01-16-2006, 07:56 PM
I have strung since I was in college, many moons ago. I currently own a Prince Neos and love it. I enjoy stringing and find it to be relaxing and challenging. It's a great hobby.

Stringing doesn't take a great deal of time, I can usually string one of my frames in about 20 minutes.

theace21
01-16-2006, 10:04 PM
I have strung since I was in college, many moons ago. I currently own a Prince Neos and love it. I enjoy stringing and find it to be relaxing and challenging. It's a great hobby.

Stringing doesn't take a great deal of time, I can usually string one of my frames in about 20 minutes.
I have an Ektelon H with the Wise Head. The 20 minutes it takes to string a racket vs the time to drive to the pro shop and back is easily 20 minutes. Then you have to return to pick it up. Add that to the turn around time for the shop, and the money you save.

Stringing your own rackets is a bargain. You can try out the newest strings cheaply (vs pro shop price). If you are a serious tennis player you should consider string your own rackets...

goober
01-17-2006, 05:34 AM
I am pretty busy with full time job and 3 kids all under 5. I still think that stringing with a dropweight is a time saver and a big money saver.

Closest pro shop is 25 minutes away. That is 100 minutes to drop it off and pick it up again if you count round trip time. I can string a racquet in under 100 minutes. They charge after tax $22 for syn gut and $28-32 multi or most hybrids. I save at least $20 each string job plus $4-5 on gas.

thetenniskid07
01-17-2006, 07:06 PM
I pay for it. Time is money too! I don't think I want to spend 45 mins stringing my racquet. I will learn how to do it but... probably will only do it when I have time!

hummer23
01-17-2006, 07:25 PM
I own a stringer, and i love it. I use it maybe 15 tiem sper month now in the winter, so everyother evening, or sometimes a few ata time, once a week. During the summer ive basically got a couple of frames in my bag at all times that i need to string. Its great and so convienient. the extra capital is helpful in buying grips, strings etc. that i need anyway.

PM_
01-18-2006, 07:11 PM
nice research.

so I'm assuming that you expect me to have a stringing device at the office???

and I don't read 8 posts from others per day... I read about 20
sorry guys but his one topped the cake.

mctennis
01-21-2006, 08:07 AM
Do people that string their own racquets usually end up breaking more strings than normal? Just wondering since I notice a lot of people break strings here.

goober
01-21-2006, 10:38 AM
Do people that string their own racquets usually end up breaking more strings than normal? Just wondering since I notice a lot of people break strings here.

I break my strings more often because I use 17g and 18g string which I would never do when I paid for stringing. It costs me less than $2 to string so I don't really care. Also I don't use any poly or kevlar which are hard on my arm. I use to use these to extend my stringlife.

bigserving
01-21-2006, 05:06 PM
The original poster is the only person that owns a machine and still pays for stringing.

In the time that it usually takes to drop off and pick up a frame, not only can you string your own, but you can string whenever it is convenient for you. It can be midnight, 6 am, sober, drunk, dressed, not dressed,and not just pro shop hours.

The biggest regret that i have heard from folks that won their own machine, is that they did not get one sooner. The time saving, convenience, fun, is in addition to the lower cost.

I think that we have a consensus, stringing your own is the way to go.

rfprse
01-21-2006, 05:24 PM
I do restring more frequently than before I got a stringer. That's one of the reasons I got one (along with testing various strings and dissatisfaction with the quality of the string jobs....). Is the frequency higher than normal? In terms of restringing, I'm not sure there's such a standard that works for everyone.