PDA

View Full Version : I am confused

bcsax123
01-13-2006, 09:28 PM
Why did the crosses (Wilson Polylast) break when stringing on my racket (Prince MORE Response)? Is it because the racket is grommetless? Or did I just string it bad?

diredesire
01-13-2006, 10:14 PM
Why did the crosses (Wilson Polylast) break when stringing on my racket (Prince MORE Response)? Is it because the racket is grommetless? Or did I just string it bad?

No offense, but it sounds like you need a bit more reading/learning before you get too far into the stringing game :)

As far as your specific problem it is almost impossible to narrow the reason(s) down to a specific problem. It could be just about anything. The "grommet" or lack there-of may have a sharp edge in it. You may have had a kink at the specific junction you were tensioning (IMO, this is probably the most common mistake leading to breakage with beginning stringers). It could have been your tensioner nicking a string and then just stretching the nick to a break in the next pull. It could have been over-adjusted clamps... it could have... etc. etc.

If anything else, at least give us more info on your stringing procedure/set up. What machine are you using? Are your clamps holding OK? Have you had any problems with your machine before? How long have you been stringing (it doesn't sound like very long [no offense intended]), where on the racquet did the string break? Was it near a tie off? Was it right at the grommet? etc.

AS MUCH INFO AS POSSIBLE!

Hopefully this helps.
-DD

SteveI
01-15-2006, 03:43 AM
No offense, but it sounds like you need a bit more reading/learning before you get too far into the stringing game :)

As far as your specific problem it is almost impossible to narrow the reason(s) down to a specific problem. It could be just about anything. The "grommet" or lack there-of may have a sharp edge in it. You may have had a kink at the specific junction you were tensioning (IMO, this is probably the most common mistake leading to breakage with beginning stringers). It could have been your tensioner nicking a string and then just stretching the nick to a break in the next pull. It could have been over-adjusted clamps... it could have... etc. etc.

If anything else, at least give us more info on your stringing procedure/set up. What machine are you using? Are your clamps holding OK? Have you had any problems with your machine before? How long have you been stringing (it doesn't sound like very long [no offense intended]), where on the racquet did the string break? Was it near a tie off? Was it right at the grommet? etc.

AS MUCH INFO AS POSSIBLE!

Hopefully this helps.
-DD

Hey,

DD is right.. there are a number of reasons why you can break strings during the stringing process. Having said that.. the early "More" series of frames are famous for early string breakage both on the stringer and when in active play. In the later versions of the "More" series, Prince "counter-sunk" the holes to remove the sharp edge from the holes. That process reduced some of the early string breakage problems. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Steve