PDA

View Full Version : Main and cross tension vs movement

Bottle Rocket
01-14-2006, 12:45 AM
I am making this thread to try and start a discussion on the effects of tension and movement. So here we go...

Assuming you have the same string for the crosses and the mains;

If you string the crosses tighter than the mains, the mains will be less likely to move, right? This is due to the increased friction between the two strings preventing the mains from moving.

If you string the crosses much looser than the mains the mains will move and then it will be easier for them to come back? I can imagine playing with a racket missing the crosses completely. The mains would never end up "bent" out of place.

Besides the stiffness I think one of the reasons that my Luxilon strings never "move" is because there is very low friction between the strings. I think they move upon impact and then go right back to where they started. Maybe so quickly that this is what contributes to the extra spin? Only when the strings loose tension does this quit happening.

Any comments?

Alafter
01-14-2006, 08:29 PM
i notice that the only string in the main that have a tendency for moving back to straight position is poly. If it's synthetic or multi in the main, they remain swayed all over the place after the ball spin moved them around.

Oh right now I use hybrid of luxilon rough mains and dunlop multi in crosses. They are both at 53 lbs (min tension). I kinda want to try something a little more extreme next time, like 50 lbs mains and 56-58 lbs crosses. Will a diff of 8 lbs tension kill racquets?

Zverev
01-15-2006, 02:31 PM
I have Prince Perfection Control in mains at 58, and Gosen Micro Super in the crosses at 56.
Prince moves like crazy, all over the place. Gosen stays put, I cannot move it at all, even by hand, it's like glued to.
Hard to explain the phenomena.