PDA

View Full Version : I Hate Tension Loss!!!

JCFerreroFan
01-14-2006, 07:25 PM
Ive been using Gosen Polylon and Polylon ice for a long time. They are great for their durability and price and everything, but i am SO annoyed because every day it seems that the strings feel different and i have to adjust to them AGAIN because of the tension loss. Even after an hour or two these strings feel a lot looser. I dont even feel like its worth it playing with these strings all the way until they break anymore. I dont have the money to buy the expensive tension holding polys or anything, so im looking for some advice. Im thinking of switching to a durable synthetic gut such as Gosen ProForm Tuff 15L. I know it wont be as durable as the poly but i want something that will hold its tension better. How is ProForm Tuff at tension holding? Can you give me some advice about this? Its been so long since ive used synthetic gut(i was a polyhead) that i dont remember how it played at all :) Has anyone had any similar experiences to mine?

badger_badger
01-14-2006, 08:11 PM
two awesome strings ive used for good value (5$) are babolat ballistic and luxilon poly. i dont mean the big bangers from luxilon but they have a poly priced at five dollars. both can be a pain in the *** to string, but they dont lose tension easily and it's a good bargain.

SteveI
01-15-2006, 02:50 AM
two awesome strings ive used for good value (5$) are babolat ballistic and luxilon poly. i dont mean the big bangers from luxilon but they have a poly priced at five dollars. both can be a pain in the *** to string, but they dont lose tension easily and it's a good bargain.

Hi,

You could also use one of the better tension holding polys in a Hybrid - Poly mains and some basic syn gut in the crosses. Your total cost per string job would be about $6.00 or so.. and would provide a more playable, arm saving and consistant string set-up.

Regards,
Steve

Richie Rich
01-15-2006, 02:11 PM
A nylon string, like Gosen Pro Form Tuff, is not that great at holding tension either. it's also not the greatest in terms of playability. it is cheap though.

a good bargain, for a new co-polymer string, is unique big hitter. At $6.95 a set it's a great deal and holds tension pretty good. it plays like lux alu at half the cost.

SteveI
01-16-2006, 09:15 AM
A nylon string, like Gosen Pro Form Tuff, is not that great at holding tension either. it's also not the greatest in terms of playability. it is cheap though.

a good bargain, for a new co-polymer string, is unique big hitter. At $6.95 a set it's a great deal and holds tension pretty good. it plays like lux alu at half the cost.

Hi,

Hybrid that and its like $4.00 a set-up..hard to beat that! Not really a big fan of Gosen Pro Form Tuff. Might sell it to a beginner.. not anyone that really looking for a performance string.

Regards,
Steve

jhp49
01-16-2006, 09:52 AM
Here's an article in the RSI mag with string stiffness and tension loss for different polys, synthetics, and gut. I'm experimenting with Poly in mains with a stiffness of 215-245 and synthetics in the crosses with a stiffness of 195-205 (for comfort). It's a good article.
http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200509/200509stringselector.html

(String Selection Map 2005 article in Sept/October issue 2005)

JHP