PDA

View Full Version : am I weird?

aLateComer
01-15-2006, 09:27 AM
I am a 4.0 all court player. I have a reasonable topspin forehard and backhand. I still don't know how to serve a good reliable topspin, therefore, I serve both 1st and 2nd serve hard and flat. I generally know what I've done wrong on the 1st serve and modify the same serve to make the ball go in on the 2nd attempt. It's been working for me this way for years.

Anyway, my question is, why do I always pop the cross string, but never the main? Does it only happen to me? What does this say about my hitting style?

thanks!
/dan

courtrage
01-15-2006, 09:45 AM
thats interesting...i think i've only popped a cross string once in my life...interested in hearing other people thoughts on this...

H-town hero
01-15-2006, 10:03 AM
ya i always pop cross strings
probally cause i hit with massive top spin
so the mains slide around and fray the crosses till they break

joe
01-15-2006, 12:37 PM
What racquet are you using? I broke mains all the time in my POG and then switched to a 200G HM and break the crosses only now.

aLateComer
01-15-2006, 02:49 PM
I used to use Wilson Prostaff original 85 (Sampras' racquet). Now, I'm using the Wilson Tour 90 (not the ncode). Same thing. always pop the cross.

So, the question becomes, when I use hybrid, should I use the durable one (kevlar) on the cross, since that's the one always break. But, it seems backward ...

goober
01-15-2006, 02:55 PM
I used to use Wilson Prostaff original 85 (Sampras' racquet). Now, I'm using the Wilson Tour 90 (not the ncode). Same thing. always pop the cross.

So, the question becomes, when I use hybrid, should I use the durable one (kevlar) on the cross, since that's the one always break. But, it seems backward ...

I would use poly on the cross not kevlar. Kevlar is really stiff and I doubt it would go well with a Wilson Tour 90.

BTW I know a fair amount of 4.0 players that flat serve both second and first serves. The successful ones are really good at placement and rarely double fault. Once you start playing 4.5s though you will find players that will absolutely crush flat serves.

tedmeister
01-15-2006, 04:05 PM
Anyway, my question is, why do I always pop the cross string, but never the main? Does it only happen to me? What does this say about my hitting style?

thanks!
/dan
There just might be a great disparity between the durability of your mains and crosses. I see this most often with players using a poly hybrid with a multi on the cross or with a kevlar M and a syn gut X. Happens more with the former. Sometimes, there are good players who just hit flatter shots mostly and contacts the ball on the same spot most of the time. This wears out the X just from the constant repetitive impact at that point.

A true indication that you are hitting way too many flat shots is if you have an all multi such as Nxt or Natural gut and manage to fray the crosses down to the core without breaking a main in the Nxt. Heavy topspin players usually notch and break Nxt mains without significant fraying. Their Xs just starts digging in at once.

Poly Xs usually benefit a flatter hitter more, providing a more even stringbed with less hot spots. If you hit with even moderate spin or hit with guys who hit with heavy spin, these Xs should break any of the available main strings that you can find in the market. Just exercise caution with your choice of tension as polys on the X transmits a fair amount of shock.

A kevlar cross? Nobody has asked to have that installed in our shop even during the time when Andre has it on his sticks.

LoveThisGame
01-15-2006, 06:20 PM
ALateComer,

I suspect that your "hard and flat" serve may actually "draw down" on the ball, imparting some degree of backspin. With a loose arm, it may be a bit "explosive" (enough quotes marks:) ), that is a strong force over short distance in short time. If so that may cause the cross strings to saw and eventually break.

Zverev
01-15-2006, 08:36 PM
I always break crosses first on 18x20 and most of the time on 16x20.
I use techifiber multis (X1, NRG2) on crosses.
They just wear off in the spot where they cross the mains,
and then break.
it normally takes 15-20 hrs of play.

aLateComer
01-16-2006, 07:37 AM
It sounds like the consensus is telling me that I am not hitting as much spin as I thought. I suppose, theoretically, if I AM hitting enough spin, the main would move much more than cross. And it would always be the same spot on the main the rub against different places on the cross along the path. And if that is the case, main should always break first, right? Maybe, I should hit the ball a little later (in the same plane as the body) ...