PDA

View Full Version : Ashaway Dynamite experiences?

ace of spades
01-15-2006, 10:30 AM
I am curious about this string. it is made out of a new material and it is said to hold tension very well(i think they tell you to drop tension for this). I am thinking of trying a set. What are your expreiences with this string? Druability? Power? Spin? Control?

Kevo
01-15-2006, 09:23 PM
I liked it pretty well. The main problem I had with it is that the outer coating keeps the strings from moving back into place easily. If you string it too loose, you can wind up with a sizeable gap in your string bed. Having said that, I found it to play pretty good at a wide range of tensions. I have tried it at 50, 55, and 62lbs. All played well, I actually liked 62 the best, but I still had problem with the string movement.

ace of spades
01-16-2006, 05:48 PM
I found it to play pretty good at a wide range of tensions. I have tried it at 50, 55, and 62lbs. All played well, I actually liked 62 the best, but I still had problem with the string movement.
dont they recommend a 10-20% drop because it doesent lose tenison?
did it play stiff at 62 and in what?

PBODY99
01-17-2006, 12:57 PM
I am curious about this string. it is made out of a new material and it is said to hold tension very well(i think they tell you to drop tension for this). I am thinking of trying a set. What are your expreiences with this string? Druability? Power? Spin? Control?

This ZYEX based multi has been around for well over 5 years. THe 16G is silver in color and is a durable and powerful string. It does maintane its string bed stiffness so a drop in tension is adviseable. i recommend this highly, but it will take a few tries to nail the tension.:cool:

I have not found the 17g version of this string to hold up very well at all. This light brown colored string frays and has broken quickly for myself and a couple of the players I string for who have used the 16g version.:(

Colpo
01-17-2006, 01:42 PM
I've tried the 17g Dynamite, with the understanding that I could use a thinner gauge with this more durable string. I ended up selling the pair of racquets before either set broke or sustained any loss in play quality, but I found the string movement very annoying. I was constantly adjusting strings. If you play with any topspin, you'll see at least 5-10 mains dramatically shift position after a series of groundstrokes. The good playability wasn't enough to overcome this nuisance, and I doubt I'll buy Dynamite again.

Kevo
01-17-2006, 04:37 PM
dont they recommend a 10-20% drop because it doesent lose tenison?
did it play stiff at 62 and in what?

It played firm, but not really stiff. Less stiff than some of the other multis I've tried at 62lbs. I'm not real sure if this is because the string deformed at that tension, or if it's just they way zyex is less dynamically stiff than nylon. I liked it better at 62 than I did at 55 though.

mctennis
01-17-2006, 04:57 PM
I used both the 16g and 17g. I liked both but I prefer the 17g since it seems to impart a little better spin for me. I think the softness is close to gut in the racquet stringers info I recieved. I prefer this sythetic if I am not using gut. I've tried a ton of other synthetics but find them harsh and not much control compaired to the Dynamite. Hope this helps.

LoveThisGame
01-17-2006, 05:59 PM
PBODY99,

You said, "This ZYEX based multi has been around for well over 5 years."

I found a reference back at least as far as 1989 for Dynamite II. Dynamite WB (Wide Body) came out in late 1991 or 1992 and was 15L (1.40 mm). It was the only Zyex at the time which held up reasonably well on clay courts.

I was fairly heavily involved at the time with Ashaway. For one thing they were based about a dozen miles from where my mother-in-law lived at the time, so I got to the plant occasionally. I was a string tester and was invited to a conference in 1992 with 5 other stringers, when they pumped us for ideas and treated us well. (Got to play on grass at Newport and see the semis of the July pro tournament.)

The situation fell into some problems a bit later. I had worked with testing a racquetball string (based on Dynamite). The players here liked it. I ordered the new string, but something changed and they DID NOT like it. Ashaway didn't want to hear that, and I was stuck with string. That problem led to my fading away, although I still have strung CROSSFIRE over the years.

SteveI
01-18-2006, 05:01 AM
It played firm, but not really stiff. Less stiff than some of the other multis I've tried at 62lbs. I'm not real sure if this is because the string deformed at that tension, or if it's just they way zyex is less dynamically stiff than nylon. I liked it better at 62 than I did at 55 though.

Kevo and All,

I also liked the string better at my normal tension. The 10% reduction made the stringbed play too soft for my liking.

Regards,
Steve

rfprse
01-18-2006, 02:50 PM
I've used it a few times and I second that it's better to string it at one's normal tension.

It's an ok string, but I wouldn't higly recommend it.
It felt good for about 3 times of playing (before the coating was peeled off and the string became literally flat). Though they claim that such change (removed coating) does not affect the play, in my case it did lose quite amount of playability (including tension, bite, etc.)

LAW2
01-20-2006, 09:26 AM
I use it in my crosses. Strung it 2# lower than normal. I wouldn't recommend dropping the tension too much. I use 17ga. and found it to be durable for me, but I am not a string breaker. String movement hasn't been a problem either, but I could see how it might be if used in the mains. I would recommend it if you like a firm string bed, not a string breaker and have a flexible racquet.

devilish_duke
01-21-2006, 01:48 AM
It's not a bad string at all. I would recommend the tension drop. Another thing is that it will take some getting used to as it felt really soft to me. Also, when the outer coating has worn off, it'll move like crazy and play/feel really loose. I used a full Dynamite job.

PBODY99
01-21-2006, 05:33 AM
PBODY99,

You said, "This ZYEX based multi has been around for well over 5 years."

I found a reference back at least as far as 1989 for Dynamite II. Dynamite WB (Wide Body) came out in late 1991 or 1992 and was 15L (1.40 mm). It was the only Zyex at the time which held up reasonably well on clay courts.

I was fairly heavily involved at the time with Ashaway. For one thing they were based about a dozen miles from where my mother-in-law lived at the time, so I got to the plant occasionally. I was a string tester and was invited to a conference in 1992 with 5 other stringers, when they pumped us for ideas and treated us well. (Got to play on grass at Newport and see the semis of the July pro tournament.)

The situation fell into some problems a bit later. I had worked with testing a racquetball string (based on Dynamite). The players here liked it. I ordered the new string, but something changed and they DID NOT like it. Ashaway didn't want to hear that, and I was stuck with string. That problem led to my fading away, although I still have strung CROSSFIRE over the years.

Yes, the racketball string didn't work, and I was too busy to check my stringing records on the age of the string.
Have you tried the 17g ? I was shocked at how quickly four different players broke the string . I still have three players using the 16g. Thank you.:cool:

TennisAsAlways
03-13-2006, 12:25 PM
I've tried the 17g Dynamite, with the understanding that I could use a thinner gauge with this more durable string. I ended up selling the pair of racquets before either set broke or sustained any loss in play quality, but I found the string movement very annoying. I was constantly adjusting strings. If you play with any topspin, you'll see at least 5-10 mains dramatically shift position after a series of groundstrokes. The good playability wasn't enough to overcome this nuisance, and I doubt I'll buy Dynamite again.Interesting. I myself am considering trying out the Dynamites. I wonder if string savers would aid the strings in reshifting back into place on their own. I too constantly experince that annoying string movement on any string setup. I have also read some reports of the coating of the Dynamites fraying and so perhaps string savers could help save the day?

Mr Colpo, what's your opinion on this?

Good day now. 8)

ffrpg
03-13-2006, 03:08 PM
I've tried the string. I strung it up 10% less than what I string my syn gut strings at the first time I used it. I thought it was too stiff and hated. I actually dropped the tension 20% the second time around and the string played much better. The downside, as mentioned above, is the fact that the strings move around a lot. The durability isn't all that great either. I got about 5 hrs out of the strings before I broke them.

TennisAsAlways
03-13-2006, 03:14 PM
I've tried the string. I strung it up 10% less than what I string my syn gut strings at the first time I used it. I thought it was too stiff and hated. I actually dropped the tension 20% the second time around and the string played much better. The downside, as mentioned above, is the fact that the strings move around a lot. The durability isn't all that great either. I got about 5 hrs out of the strings before I broke them.Interesting....only 5 hours and then they broke. Maybe String Savers could make them last much longer. I imagined that the Dynamites would at least be more durable than other multis. Anyways, as far as stiffness, would you say that they're stiffer than poly? Also, did you find them to be powerful strings?

ffrpg
03-13-2006, 03:16 PM
No, it's not stiffer than a poly. Yes, I would consider them to be powerful. Not super powerful, but more power than your average syn gut string.

TennisAsAlways
03-13-2006, 03:20 PM
No, it's not stiffer than a poly. Yes, I would consider them to be powerful. Not super powerful, but more power than your average syn gut string.Thanks for the info.

Anyways, I am on a search to find a string that is as close to natural gut as possible yet more durable. I want something that retains tension very well. What would you recommend?

Good day now. 8)

ffrpg
03-13-2006, 03:44 PM
I was on the search for the same exact thing but never found it. High end multi's don't hold tension as well as natural gut and and durability isn't really there either. Your best bet is staying with natural gut, but use string savers and possibly a thicker gauge. I eventually went back to regular syn gut strings (PSGDF and Gosen Micro) after trying out a bunch of strings.

TennisAsAlways
03-13-2006, 04:42 PM
I was on the search for the same exact thing but never found it. High end multi's don't hold tension as well as natural gut and and durability isn't really there either. Your best bet is staying with natural gut, but use string savers and possibly a thicker gauge. I eventually went back to regular syn gut strings (PSGDF and Gosen Micro) after trying out a bunch of strings.Thanks. I might get the Dynamites anyways, for my PS 6.0 85. I'm thinking about using them for the X's and some polys on the M's.

Good day now. 8)

Kevo
03-13-2006, 10:22 PM
I think Klipper Zyex is a better choice than Ashaway Dynamite. It's more expensive, but the outer coating is much more durable, and it seems to hold tension quite well. You really shouldn't string the Klipper Zyex lower, in fact I would say you should string it at the same tension you might string gut at.

TennisAsAlways
03-13-2006, 11:18 PM
Thanks Mr Kevo. I'll look into that.

Colpo
03-14-2006, 08:31 AM
Interesting. I myself am considering trying out the Dynamites. I wonder if string savers would aid the strings in reshifting back into place on their own. I too constantly experince that annoying string movement on any string setup. I have also read some reports of the coating of the Dynamites fraying and so perhaps string savers could help save the day?

Mr Colpo, what's your opinion on this?

Good day now. 8)

Sorry, it's been awhile since I searched myself. Don't know about String Savers, but I do know that that's an added step that's simply not worth it these days. Why? Because Luxilon Big Banger and Babolat Hurricane, to name a few, are excellent synthetics with little or no string movement. Compared to them, Dynamite is a bit of a dinosaur and no worth the trouble. And yes, I did observe some flaking of the Dynamite's coating as the result of the string job, and before a ball had been struck! This I need?