PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the Prince Bandit MP.

gmlasam
06-06-2004, 07:55 AM
I've read TW reviews on this racquet, but I would like you opinion on this racquet before I demo it.

I'm a 4.5 player and have a full swing. I've been playing the Prince Graphite mid plus for years. I've started out as an all court player, but now more of a baseline player.

Steve Huff
06-06-2004, 09:54 AM
It's a versatile racket. It's light enough for kids, yet solid enough for adults to hit with. With a lot of weight in the head, you could add weight in the handle and have an even or headlight balance, and still be under 11.5oz. My 12 yr old son uses it and a good 4.0 baseliner friend of mine uses it. It has a very open string pattern (it's 16 x 19, but the strings seem farther apart than other 16 x 19 patterns I've seen). TW gave it a pretty good review also. They're real cheap now too.

Steve H.
06-06-2004, 10:22 AM
Much more powerful than the Prince Graphite -- if you have a full swing it might be hard to keep the ball in the court.

What do you want to improve on compared with the POG?

gmlasam
06-06-2004, 11:27 AM
Much more powerful than the Prince Graphite -- if you have a full swing it might be hard to keep the ball in the court.

What do you want to improve on compared with the POG?I''m beginning to hurt my right wrist, and I'm thinking of getting a lighter racquet for now to help remedy this problem. I use an extreme western forehand grip. I've tried stringing my Prince Grphite mid to 55 lbs. but I didn't like how the graphite felt. I string at about 65 to 70 lbs.

chazz
06-06-2004, 11:36 AM
Perhaps you should look for a racquet that is more flexible, that may be easier on your wrist. Light and stiff racquets aren't best for people who have wrist problems.

gmlasam
06-06-2004, 11:45 AM
Perhaps you should look for a racquet that is more flexible, that may be easier on your wrist. Light and stiff racquets aren't best for people who have wrist problems.Any suggestions?

chazz
06-06-2004, 01:20 PM
Since you've stated that you've played with the Prince Graphite which is a fairly heavy racquet maybe something along the lines of a Head Pro Tour 280 or Volkl C10 Pro. That's if you don't mind the rectangular shaped grips that those racquets come with. You can also look into some of the newer Yonex RDX 500 racquets which are fairly flexible. Use the racquet finder on here, it's very helpful. I'd look for racquets with a flex rating of 62 and under. Also try looking for a racquet that is 12 ounces or more and also very head light. Maybe 7 points head light and above.

Steve H.
06-06-2004, 02:52 PM
chazz, that would make sense if the wrist pain comes from the shock of hitting the ball, but for an extreme Western player it could also be from the repeated act of whipping the racquet, in which case it might be better to get a frame with lower swingweight to make it less work to get the necessary head speed.

A 4.5 friend of mine recently decided to switch to a topspin game, going from Eastern to Western grip, and in the process changed racquets from a HPS 6.1 (swingweight 332) to a Prince Scream (302) -- this helped the transition considerably.

gmlasam, there are quite a few frames of varying stiffnesses in that range that you could try, including the Diablo MP, Dunlop 300G, Wilson Surge, Volkl Tour 9 and V-1 series, and ProKennex Laver S. Less stiffness means less power, but also less shock. Something like that might put less strain on your wrist than the POG. The Bandit would be the worst of both worlds, since it's both lighter and stiffer than the POG and also has higher swingweight.

Hope this helps!

gmlasam
06-06-2004, 03:14 PM
Thanks chazz, and Steve H.

Yes, I think I'm getting the pain from whipping the racquet. I put excessive top spin on my forehand. Since I've gradually become more of a baseline player than an all court player, I hit my forehand with much more topspin to keep my opponent back at the baseline.

Thanks for the racquet advice, and good thing I asked about the bandit before placing a demo order with TW.

Captain Haddock
06-06-2004, 05:57 PM
To me, the Bandit MP is the best tweener out there, period. The TW review was one of the most accurate I have read. The Bandit is a player's tweener. It is not extra long, extra wide, or extra light (add a build up sleeve and a leather grip and you're above 11 oz and within players' racquets range). It is balanced well and does not feel tinny. It has a nice open string pattern and a stiff head that males it great for slice, yet is more flexible in the shaft, like the old CTS Prince or the Fischer Pro Number One, which gives it great touch. I have played all my life with 12 oz racquets and the Bandit is the only tweener I can play well with. You should seriously invest in stocking up these frames before they disappear.

thatballwas_IN
06-07-2004, 04:54 AM
Just to provide a balance, I must add my experience with the Bandit MP.

I used to use the Prince Thunderlite MP which was a GREAT racquet and the Bandit was the closest newer racquet so I gave it a go. Although the racquets were close in specs, they played VERY differently and the Bandit felt was to stiff and had no control. I hated it and sold it quickly. Uggh!

chazz
06-07-2004, 05:48 AM
I'd say definetely give the Yonex RDX 500 a try as they have a lower swingweight than your POG and are more flexible. You don't want to go too low on swingweight because than your wrist will absort too much shock and your shots won't have as much weight to them.

gmlasam
06-07-2004, 01:41 PM
Well I've demoed the Bandit this morning. Its certainly a very comfortable racquet and it played very nice. But, I had a hard time keeping the ball in the court. In order for me to keep the ball in play, I had to whip my forehand more to give the ball more top spin. This actually agrivated my wrist pain. I guess I have too much of a large loopy ground stroke for this racquet. My older Prince Graphite mid (from the 80's) compliments my ground stroke and I have much more control. I guess I'll just have to change my forehand grip from an extreme western grip to an eastern.

chazz
06-07-2004, 02:20 PM
Well I've demoed the Bandit this morning. Its certainly a very comfortable racquet and it played very nice. But, I had a hard time keeping the ball in the court. In order for me to keep the ball in play, I had to whip my forehand more to give the ball more top spin. This actually agrivated my wrist pain. I guess I have too much of a large loopy ground stroke for this racquet. My older Prince Graphite mid (from the 80's) compliments my ground stroke and I have much more control. I guess I'll just have to change my forehand grip from an extreme western grip to an eastern.

Perhaps you need to demo a less powerful racquet. Try some more flexible racquets as they have less power. It may be a technique problem. You're probably focusing too much on generating wrist snap. I would try changing to a semi western or not so exxagerated western grip. From what you said it seems like you are using too extreme of a western grip. With a flexible racquet the ball will stay on the strings longer and you won't have to use so much wrist snap to generate topspin.

Steve H.
06-08-2004, 05:15 AM
gmlasam, before making a big change to your grip, maybe you want to try some lower swingweight frames. I'd suggest the Diablo MP (flexible) and the ProKennex Laver S (stiffer) as frames that are solid like your POG but easier to whip. I'm playing with the Laver now, and it's actually encouraging me to go more western, and with no strain at all.