PDA

View Full Version : How do i know if my grip is too big?

chrisab508
06-06-2004, 09:47 AM
How do i know?

thanks.

Chris.

pchoi04
06-06-2004, 10:53 AM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Gripsize/Gripsize.html

tetsuo10
06-06-2004, 11:21 AM
You should use the biggest grip that's comfortable for you.

Gaines Hillix
06-06-2004, 05:14 PM
The Wilson website has a hand form you can print that you overlay your hand on and it tells you what the correct grip size for your hand would be. I prefer to go with that grip size plus an overgrip on my racquets. It seems to fill out my grip a little better that way.

Steve Huff
06-06-2004, 09:29 PM
You could use the old way of determining if the grip is right or not. Grip the racket firmly, and there should be enough room between the ends of your fingers and you palm to fit your index finger in.

An easier way is by holding it. If it feels too big, it probably is.

Robert Jones
06-07-2004, 12:00 PM
If you grab the handle and the gap between the end of your fingers and your palm is more than an 1/2 inch then it maybe too big.

Its not that big a deal, smaller grips can twist in your hands a bit easier but can be ofset with tacky overgrip.

Some people claim its easier to hit baseline shots with a larger grip.

I like the grips slightly small so I can get more snap on serves. Overall its probably better to have it slightly large for stroke consistancy.

destan
06-07-2004, 03:55 PM
It is interesting to read the posts on grips. I will relate my personal experience...

I have always been using the "correct" size grip (4 3/8 for me), as I followed all the guidelines about having enough space for the index finger between the palm and the fingers when you grip the racket.

However, a month ago, I bought a second hand racket of my choice, with a 4 1/4 grip size. (the deal is too good to miss :) ). I was very surprised when I played with it (I did not build up the grip). Areas where the smaller grip size are obviously better and more comfortable are the serves and net play, including volleys. Contrary to general beliefs, I did not find that the racket twisting for baseline shots, and it plays just as well at the baseline.

I started to go through my tennis books on grips and decided to look at the photos of the pros holding their rackets during play. To my surprise, I notice that quite a handful of them hold their grips with hardly any space for the index fingers to fit between the palm and finger!

So I guess that it really depends on the player himself. Just sharing my experience....

Btw, I am a 4.5 level player, and play about 4 to 5 times a week.

HT
06-07-2004, 04:09 PM
With smaller grip, you'll have an easier time whipping a cross-court shop. I would go above 4 1/2 unless you're 6'3" or have teradactal fingers!