PDA

View Full Version : Achilles pain

christo
06-06-2004, 10:21 AM
Whenever I play a hard match I always end up with my right achilles tendon hurting like hell, can barely touch it. What to do to alleviate this pain. Is it tendonitis or something else. I don't want it to rupture.

netman
06-07-2004, 04:15 AM
Achilles ruptures are usually caused by cumulative, micro trauma. Enough damage and scar tissue builds up in one spot and the tendon final breaks. They can happen even in the absence of pain. Something as simple as stepping off a curb can trigger the rupture.

From your description, you are definitely causing severe inflammation when you play. That in itself is not necessarily bad, but does serve as an indicator that something else is going on. Rest is the best thing to let it settle down. It would also be in your best interest to consult with a clinician who has expertise in the Achilles to make sure there are no major problems. They can also provide good advice on stretches and skills to minimize the stress on the tendon. If it is as bad as you describe, and you continue to push it, something will eventually happen and it will not be good.

fred-s
06-08-2004, 09:13 AM
You should see an orthopedist to determine whether there is a tear, whether you have teniditis or some other injury.

If it is tendinitis, you should get some physical therapy and also regularly do the exercises and stretching they give you. I have had a few bouts of achilles tendinitis over the years and I've found that this injury responds extremely well and usually rapidly to physical therapy (at least compared to other injuries I have had).

christo
06-11-2004, 08:47 AM
can you describe the sort of therapy I should be doing to stay healthy?

netman
06-11-2004, 09:46 AM
IMPORTANT: Don't do any of these until the pain and inflammation are gone. If any of these aggravate the situation stop immediately.

1. Calf stretches everyday to keep it loose.

2. You can use a balance board and/or wobble board to strengthen the ankle, calf and tendon across all movements. Stand on the board and rock it back and forth without let the edges touch the floor. On the wobble make it tougher by rotating and rocking.

3. For linear strength, do calve raises, either standing or seated. Start without weight. Use dumbbells as you get stronger. 1 set 6-8 reps each leg to start. Don't over do these. The goal is to build up to 15-20 reps each leg. Overdue it and you will injure the muscle or tendon.

Remember, if you try to do these exercises while there is still pain or inflammation, you will only make matters worse.

fred-s
06-19-2004, 09:29 AM
You should find out first if you have a slight tear before you start doing too much stretching. If you have a tear, as opposed to tendinitis, you might be doing more harm than good by stretching. You don't want to risk a ruptured achilles tendon - it requires a long recovery period. Good luck.