PDA

View Full Version : Im 13 years old and still want to grow.

RafaelRoddick54
01-16-2006, 09:10 PM
I need some help. I have a treadmill and a stregnth machine at home. How can i get fit for tennis without stopping my growth. I am overweight.

fishuuuuu
01-16-2006, 09:27 PM
I'm going to beat Marius here woo...

Eat better(less?) and run, look at threads on this same forum sub-section for threads telling you how.

str33t
01-16-2006, 10:10 PM
exercise excercise excercise ! i am also a thirteen year old and i try to play tennis about 5-7 hours a week. get out and run. go jogging etc. try doing simple workouts at home: sit ups, pull ups, jumping jacks

str33t
01-16-2006, 10:10 PM
exercise excercise excercise ! i am also a thirteen year old and i try to play tennis about 5-7 hours a week. get out and run. go jogging etc. try doing simple workouts at home: sit ups, pull ups, jumping jacks

str33t
01-16-2006, 10:11 PM
oops double post

Turning Pro
01-17-2006, 12:39 AM
Make sure you eat enough protein and get plently of rest when not working out.

Marius_Hancu
01-17-2006, 12:44 AM
check my signature here:

Great fitness sites
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=33800

arnz
01-17-2006, 09:10 AM
I need some help. I have a treadmill and a stregnth machine at home. How can i get fit for tennis without stopping my growth. I am overweight.

I dont think that exercising can stunt your growth. The only exercise that I think may be problematic are heavy barbell exercises such as heavy squats, as that puts a strain on your spine.

If the strength machine is one like bowflex etc. I think its very safe. Just start slow, start with low resistance. Running/jogging doesnt affect your growth either, so the treadmill is ok also. I know many middle/high schoolers who are good runners.

Andres
01-18-2006, 09:32 AM
Running and jumping the rope.
Jumping ropes are, IMO, the greatest aerobic exercise. Just do it moderately at the beginning ;)

Midlife crisis
01-18-2006, 01:26 PM
I dont think that exercising can stunt your growth. The only exercise that I think may be problematic are heavy barbell exercises such as heavy squats, as that puts a strain on your spine.

Extremely heavy exercise can temporarily depress production of hormones which cause growth in adolescents. If you exercise heavy enough, often enough, you can stunt you growth.

The good side is that very few teens (and actually very few people of any age) are willing to push themselves voluntarily to the point where this becomes a factor. In other words, you'd have to be training like Lance Armstrong, exercising at 70% of your maximum heart rate for hours on end, interspersing periods of tens of minutes where you are between 90-100% of your maximum heart rate, and do this day after day after day.

bluegrasser
01-19-2006, 11:35 AM
Eat your Wheaties - hey, look what it did for Jordan :)