PDA

View Full Version : When to change Signum strings?

dunlo
01-17-2006, 02:27 AM
Hi,
I have been playing with PPP for about a month now on POG mid.
That makes 17-20 hours for me.It started slightly moving last 2 games.
Should i change it?

man-walking
01-17-2006, 05:36 AM
If you feel it less responsive then restring.

Midlife crisis
01-17-2006, 10:04 PM
Hi,
I have been playing with PPP for about a month now on POG mid.
That makes 17-20 hours for me.It started slightly moving last 2 games.
Should i change it?

How do you think it is playing? Is it giving you an inconsistent response to your various shots?

String movement is pretty normal for most types of strings. It shouldn't be the sole basis for determining whether or not to restring.

dunlo
01-23-2006, 04:02 AM
Yes it is less responsive and uncontrolled too.
So i can say ideal time is mostly 3 weeks for PPP usage.

Midlife crisis
01-23-2006, 02:34 PM
Yes it is less responsive and uncontrolled too.
So i can say ideal time is mostly 3 weeks for PPP usage.

I'm a pretty hard hitter and after some initial tension loss, the string seems to hold tension pretty well. I've never noticed any loss of responsiveness, even when comparing a fresh SPPP string job to a fairly old one, and as Gaines said in another thread, the "going dead" part is very disputed and possibly the result of misinterpreting something else that has changed about the stringbed response.

hummer23
01-23-2006, 02:36 PM
I stringing my frames with sigun, and it lasts quite long time. It deosnt get harsh like otehr poly's, so conceiveably, you could have it on tehre for as long as you want. It's really mental, if you feel that it is holding you back, or the control or pop isnt there, restring, but if it palys well, dont worry aout it. It really is a very nice long lasting stringing, in terms of both durability, and playability.

man-walking
01-24-2006, 03:43 PM
I have to say that PPP left me a bit sad right now that I'm using it in cold conditions (5-10), feels quite stiff and unforgiving (small sweet spot), definitively less playable than some month ago when tempertures were higher here.

Shall we guess that it's a normal behaviour for all strings?
(playing stiffer with lower temperatures)

Midlife crisis
01-24-2006, 03:48 PM
I have to say that PPP left me a bit sad right now that I'm using it in cold conditions (5-10), feels quite stiff and unforgiving (small sweet spot), definitively less playable than some month ago when tempertures were higher here.

Shall we guess that it's a normal behaviour for all strings?
(playing stiffer with lower temperatures)

Yeah, but it's not just the strings. It's also the racquet, the grip, the rubber in the balls, and the temperature effects on your hand. You know how it really hurts when you smack your hand when it's cold - this is the same thing.

I'm lucky enough to have indoor courts to play on so I'm getting in a lot of hours. My SPPP doesn't feel any different than I recall it feeling when it was new, probably 15-20 hours ago. It still hits very sweetly and if it holds this tension, I see no reason to cut it out.

dunlo
01-26-2006, 01:09 AM
Ok but which racquets do you use?Especially you Midlife?
I personally like fresh strings a lot,but some string loose their freshness after 2 sets;so SPPP is ok for me.

backboard34
01-26-2006, 05:58 AM
I go by about 10 - 12 hours and I cut them out for fresh poly strings. It's about 2 weeks for me. Poly is so durable and firm, I feel they can be deceiving as fresh even if they are old. After about 12 hours I can feel a difference because the ball starts to fly and my arm starts to ache. I was told the pro's cut poly out every one to two DAYS.

Midlife crisis
01-26-2006, 11:13 AM
Ok but which racquets do you use?Especially you Midlife?
I personally like fresh strings a lot,but some string loose their freshness after 2 sets;so SPPP is ok for me.

I use a 377 gram, 28" long, 115 sq. in. racquet with a 16X19 pattern. I string the SPPP with 65 crosses, 64 mains on a lockout machine, on which I crank slowly to get a slight pre-stretch as the tension ramps up.

I have the same model racquet but from later in the production run, and it is quite a bit lighter but otherwise feels the same. I've had an older SPPP job in one racquet and a newer one in the other and the stringbed response feels identical to me other than for the slight tension difference. I don't notice anything that I would describe as "dead", nor anything to lead me to feel the older SPPP was any less elastic than the new stringjob.

I'm currently testing the grey poly string for ***********.net, and it's in the light of my two racquets. This experience has just confirmed to me that the SPPP is really one very good string.

Midlife crisis
01-26-2006, 11:16 AM
I was told the pro's cut poly out every one to two DAYS.

Pros will typically cut the strings in their racquets out after every match, whether or not the racquet was even used. They can afford to do this, and they like to play with a string tension which they know, rather than one they have to guess at because the strings detensioned as they sat. I'm not sure that using a pro as an example would really tell you anything, other than how busy tournament stringers must be in the first week of a Grand Slam.