PDA

View Full Version : First strings ordered-suggestions on use?

Newberry
01-17-2006, 07:53 AM
I have a used machine on the way and I just bought my first two types of string and I'd like to get some understanding of the differences I can expecte between the two.

I have a roll of Wilson Ultra 16g, as well as a few packs of Gosen 17 OG Micro (colors)on the way.

I have some old racquets to practice on, but eventually hope to string my Dunlop Max200g. I'm after comfort & spin, but wouldn't mind adding a little more power to the 200g. Recommended tension is 55lbs.

I also have a fan-patterened oversized Dunlop Max Enforcer (58-65lbs) with long mains that I'd like to string (it has plenty of power already!).

Any info on the different characteristics of these two string materials would be appreciated.

Is there any advantage of going 2 piece with two synthetic guts of different size?
Thanks!
Wayne

Valjean
01-17-2006, 08:24 AM
You aren't going to see a lot of difference with those two; I'd say you should focus on what difference gauge and tension make for you. And, there isn't a whole lot of difference for durability by playing a 16-gauge nylon in the mains, and the 17 in the crosses, and that's the only reason you might want to. As evidently a beginning stringer, you might want to get a Stringmeter and check your work for consistency, too; it also helps when you vary tension within the stringbed and monitor performance for that.

Newberry
01-17-2006, 10:44 AM
Thanks Valjean. I expected two syn guts to be very similar. I'd really like to try gut in my 200g, but I'm not sure if the old tremont stringer I'll have is gentle enough on string to use gut.

I'm thinking (just for practice) of going with the Ultra on the mains and the Micro on the crosses (hoping the micro will give more spin).

If I used say 5lbs higher in the mains, versus the crosses, would it help keep movement down?

Valjean
01-17-2006, 01:39 PM
But there is a lot to try now between syn gut and natural gut; try a multi too, for instance. TW has a great sale on Dunlop Max Comfort now... Here is a primer you might enjoy: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/String/StringReference.html.

Actually, you're better off tensioning the crosses slightly higher than the mains, say two lbs.--but, didn't you ever hear of string savers...

Newberry
01-17-2006, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the info.
I'm running Max Comfort in my Dunlop Abzorber 98 right now, but its the string that came in the frame so I'm pretty sure its lost quite a bit of its original feel.
I am using string savers on all my racquets, but I still get a lot of movement during kick serves. Its usually my last 3 or 4 crosses that move the most (I'm bad to catch the ball on the edge of the sweetspot during serving). It would sure be nice to be able to have just a little less movement on those last couple of crosses.