PDA

View Full Version : SHoulder/racquet questions

motonole
06-06-2004, 03:09 PM
Hi all! I have just been cleared(after 2 years and 3 operations) to resume a somewhat normal life. I had a pretty comprehensive shoulder injury that required a AC joint removal and collarbone resection, and then 2 arthroscopic clean up procedures. Now, I want to play tennis again! I was just starting to play a little better(3.0-3.5) when I got hurt. Any racquet suggestions for a 41 year old male with probably no power? I'm partial to Yonex, but then again I used to hit the ball hard! I sold all my sticks when I got hurt, so I'm starting over completely- any help would be appreciated.

Frankc
06-06-2004, 03:26 PM
As asenior who loves the game, I already use a set up that guards my still well shoulder. A heavier, relatively flexible, thin frame (some call them players frame) with thin (17-18)natural gut at mid or mid low tension. Follow your likes - but try at least a natural gut Hybrid - full gut job seems to be what I have heard from most posters. Guard that shoulder well. After I saw Gardner malloy win the 70's Nationals, he told me that a bad shoulder was the injury to avoid for longevity in Tennis. So guard it well from day one.

motonole
06-06-2004, 03:49 PM
Thanks! I'm going to have to have a replacment one day, and I want that day to be a long time coming. I'm not going to give up the one sport I think I can still play though. I may have to change everything about my game, but just being on the court again will be great. I'll definitely be careful and choosy when picking my new racquets, just looking for a starting point.

Gaines Hillix
06-06-2004, 04:51 PM
motonole, avoid the extremely light, stiff, head heavy frames. I think the Prince Graphite Classic and Pro-Kennex 5G and 7G have some of the best reputations for arm safety. As Frankc said, a softer, more elastic string is going to transmit less shock to your arm. I am sure stretching and strengthing exercises will help too.

Steve H.
06-06-2004, 04:55 PM
An oversize racquet will give you more power for less effort, which is probably good. As Frankc says, heavy, flexible, and head-light frames are considered the most arm-friendly, you might try the Prince Original Graphite oversize, which is very highly regarded and versatile. Or if you want something lighter and/or want to stay with Yonex, the VCon 17 is quite popular.

Alley Cat
06-06-2004, 06:34 PM
I had developed some shoulder/rotator cuff problems with a lighter, stiffer frame. Volkl racquets, specifically the Tour 10's and V engine have been great for the shoulder and arm. Also had good luck with the LM Prestige and HPS 6.1. Definitely heavier, head light racquets worked the best for me. The HPS was stiffer, but presented no problems (probably because it was so head light). I prefer slightly more flexible sticks though. No shoulder problems since.

Steve Huff
06-06-2004, 09:22 PM
I know everyone preaches "heavier, more flexible etc", but be careful about going too heavy. A frame that's easy on the elbow may not be easy on the shoulder. I use a ProKennex 5g because it is easy on the arm. I had made up my mind that I was going to use an old Golden Ace (basically a wood racket with graphite overlays) to play this season. It was a little over 13oz. After 3 weeks of playing 3-4 times/week, my shoulder really got sore. Had to go to the sports med doc to get a cortizone shot. It's like overthrowing a baseball or softball. The extra weight caused me to throw my arm out. RacquetTech magazine published a study about ideal racquet weight. Ideal racket weight was determined by the weight of your arm. So, even though I prefer a racket that weighs 12oz strung, I wouldn't go much over what you're used to. ProKennex rackets had very good ratings for both elbow and shoulder safety, so the 5g is a safe choice.