PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the Wilson Prostaff Torch

kentuckytennisdude
06-06-2004, 04:45 PM
I would like everyone's opinion of the Prostaff Torch. Im a 3.5 player and fixing to buy it.

Thanks

KTD

jack mckinney
06-06-2004, 05:51 PM
I can't speak from trying it but there are 2 of our best 5.0 players using the mid size. They swear by them. Wish I could help more. Jack [/b]

Steve Huff
06-06-2004, 10:30 PM
I thought it felt cheap, not very solid. In my opinion, there are a lot of rackets that cost the same or less that are better, more solid frames.

kooyah
06-06-2004, 11:01 PM
I'm not one to get too bent out of shape about cosmetics, but damn, that racquet is so ugly that I'd never be able to seriously consider using it.

rooski
06-07-2004, 05:13 PM
Contrary to what Steve said above, I thought the racket was extremely stable for it's weight and very solid. If it was a bit more head heavy it would have been reasonably close to the original skunk 95 Std. The paint job is hideous I have to admit.

Pushmaster
06-07-2004, 07:05 PM
A guy I play with sometimes has one. It's not a REAL tennis racquet, it's a TOY, and an ugly one at that.

goober
06-13-2004, 12:27 AM
Contrary to what Steve said above, I thought the racket was extremely stable for it's weight and very solid. If it was a bit more head heavy it would have been reasonably close to the original skunk 95 Std. The paint job is hideous I have to admit.

I have to agree. I tried the MP and thought it was very stable for its weight. If you added some lead tape it would actually be a decent racquet. I think people look at the paint job and think that it must be a junior racquet or they can't take it seriously.

Why it is in the Prostaff line I have no idea.

Mr. Sparkay
06-13-2004, 02:52 AM
Your game will have more of a chance to "grow" with a Hammer6 or TT Scream.

perfmode
06-13-2004, 07:28 AM
My friend Jason is a 5.5-6.0 USTA player and he just bought 4 of em a month ago. He loves em. He demo'd the Torch, Surge and HPS6.1 and ended up getting the Torches. BTW, He usually beats me 6-3, 6-3 when we play.

**edit**

The racquet seems to have crazy spin potential. He breaks strings every 4-6 hours with the racquet though.

Shane Reynolds
06-13-2004, 01:04 PM
My opinion is that it is one of the most hideous wastes of graphite fiber I have ever seen. Not even beer goggles can help.

Pushmaster
06-13-2004, 05:14 PM
It's hard for me to believe that a 5.5-6.0 player could play with a Torch. If he would play against some of the heavy hitters that I've been playing against they would twist that thing right out of his hand.

perfmode
06-13-2004, 05:22 PM
I was really shocked when he bought em over the HPS and the Surge but I think he just got em cuz he's cheap. He's a rich guy but he doesn't like to spend money, especially on tennis stuff. He can play really well with any racquet. I'll have to ask him about that sometime though.

goober
06-13-2004, 08:18 PM
I was really shocked when he bought em over the HPS and the Surge but I think he just got em cuz he's cheap. He's a rich guy but he doesn't like to spend money, especially on tennis stuff. He can play really well with any racquet. I'll have to ask him about that sometime though.

Yah ask him.

generally the better player you are, the more particular you are about your equipment.

I don't think people would be puttin da hate on the Torch if it had a normal paint job :D

perfmode
06-16-2004, 05:38 AM
I talked to him yesterday and he said he got it cuz it was "mad cheap" and he could get "mad spins wit it."

tennisnj
06-16-2004, 05:54 AM
I demoed this racquet in the OS bc someone had suggested it to be comparable to the Prince TT Bandit OS. Wow was this totally the wrong choice. It was one of the worst racquets I have ever played with. I couldn't hit the ball hard, soft, w/spin, heck anywhere in the court!. Now I'm a 5.0+ player & it definately wouldn't suit that rating or any other as far as i'm concerned. It's a recreational racquet @ best.

perfmode
06-16-2004, 05:46 PM
he has the 95.

tennisnj
06-16-2004, 06:59 PM
doesn't matter, I've had this misfortune of hitting w/both the MP & OS...They both should have come w/a free bowl of soup.

Steve Huff
06-16-2004, 07:56 PM
Judging by the cosmetics, it was definitely marketed toward kids. My son uses a Bandit MP (he's 12, 75 lbs). One of his buddies who plays for the middle school team has a Torch. He tried my son's Bandit and immediately asked his dad if he could get one. I'm not saying the Bandit is that great, but from his comments and my brief hitting with them both, I'd say the Bandit is a lot more stable and solid feeling than the Torch.

tennisnj
06-16-2004, 08:31 PM
I agree Steve.