PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with PolyStar Energy and LM Prestige

tarheelbornjohn
01-18-2006, 07:52 AM
I have been stringing for several years now and this is not just my error. I have now had this happen 4 times. I am stringing my LM Prestige MP with PolyStar Energy. The prestige has little slots for the string to go in on the Grommets and if you have one you know that when stringing it will "pop" into the grament when tension is applied. I use a dropweight and have been "gently" letting down the drop weight rather than having it "fall" on its own like I usually do with other strings. When the string catches on this slot as I am tensioning, and pops thru it has broken doing the crosses on four different string jobs. I have ended up using Lux ALU or Bab Huricane for the crosses so I can finish the string job. Has anyone else had this happen. I have not had this trouble with other strings on the same racquets. I like the way the string plays in a hybrid since I have not been able to complete a full job of it.

Can I get replacement Grommets that are open like the Instinct or other Head racquets. Please Help.

tarheelbornjohn
01-19-2006, 06:41 AM
So no one has had similar problems?

racingdad23
01-19-2006, 01:10 PM
Sorry have not strung a Prestige but absolutely no problem stringing Prince and Fischer with this string.

tarheelbornjohn
01-19-2006, 01:17 PM
I have not had any problems with it breaking when not popping thru the CAP gromment so I would think that other racquets would be fine. I have also not had a problem with it breaking too soon after it is strung up. I guess it is just the quick snap that this string can not handle. Lux ALU, Huricane, ProPlasma Poly or NG never seem to do this to me.

10isbum
01-19-2006, 01:24 PM
I probably string more poly string jobs than any other and in fact purchase a number of these poly in reels and have no problem except for 3 polys, which are PolyStar Energy 1.20, Signum Pro Poly Plasma, and the Prince Poly Gut only in gold color. Following the recommendations by Signum the number of breakage have decrease but the PolyStar has not. My impression is that with the PolyStar, it's about the only poly that seems to stretch while under load. Consequently due to the nature of drop weight in which the dwell time is increase as oppose to crank or electric stringing machine. I would compare this increase dwell time of the drop weight to something similar to prestretching which Signum claims may cause premature breaking. Also off the top of my head, I believe I broke more cross strings than main strngs when stringing with Energy, and also not the same grommet hole. Recomendation from the seller of either PolyStar to Signum is to go to bigger diameter string which I find is true. Also dropping tension helps.

tarheelbornjohn
01-20-2006, 08:11 AM
I have seen that Stretch with my own eyes. You can watch the dropweight slowly dropping underload. I even made a mpeg file of it and thought about posting a link to it here so others could see. I had thoughts that a non constant pull stringer would not get all of this out. Could the breaking be due to the fact that I let the string "stretch" itself out and weight until it has finished before I clamp it off? I would think that if I don't let it stretch itself out it would lose tension more. I have not had other polys do this to the extent that the Energy does it. Also, It always pops as it is pulling thru the cap gromments and making the Snap sound. But that spot is also already been under the stretch from the previous cross pull. Since the mains are longer, mabe that spot was on the crank and therefor not been "prestretched" from the previous main tensioning.

Thoughts?

Stan
01-20-2006, 08:32 AM
Poly Polar is another poly with good elasticity and strectches while stringing. While I have not used the Polystar, the Poly Polar is a comparable poly that I have string in an LM Prestige (caps grommets) without issue. You have done nothing wrong with allowing the constant pull to remove the slack...in fact this is exactly what you should do with a stretchy string.

Sometimes the composite polys can be tempermental when installing. Is yours always breaking in the same spot? I have read accounts of the breakage problems with the Polystar and to some extent the Poly Plasma. Seems like it is the nature of the beast. Stringers need to be careful when installing these strings.

I would recommend you take the blunt end of a screwdriver or some tool and gently push the string into the grommet slit before pulling tension. This may help eliminate whatever stress is being created when the string "pops" into the cap grommet.

If you are looking for a softer poly I strongly recommend the Poly Polar, even though it's hard to find. Sometimes you can get it on the auction site. The newer production runs are soft, comfortable and hold tension well. In fact I installed a set in my racquet on 1/5/06 and have played with it for 2 weeks and it has only lost 8%, which is excellent by poly standards.