PDA

View Full Version : Prince O3 Tour String Search

Micky
01-18-2006, 01:03 PM
Hello,

After two months in tennis and one month with the O3 Tour I started to go crazy with the strings. My racquet came with Prince Synthetic Gut with Duraflex 16 and after a few hours of coaching my strokes started to get worse.

After some serious reading in this forum I went to my stringer and bought (for 10U$ a set) the same PSGDF. It only lasted a few hours and just hated the feel again and lost total control.

I know it is common talk in this forum about this string...but here with the people I play and train...I was suggested to go to a psychologist. :mad:

Anyways, last sunday a got a new set of strings: Babolat Tour Duralast 16 @ 59 lbs (polyester) (people call it wire here) for the mains and Gamma Challenger 16 @ 61 lbs (nylon) for the crosses. Now, my service is great but my backhand and forehand are way too powerful.

Now the questions:

1. The mains are the ones that control the serve?
2. Should I put the same Babolat for the crosses as well?
3. Will that keep on killing my wrist?

I really love the way the PSGDF plays the fist couple of hours. I want to emulate that but with strings that should last at least a week or maybe more. (The only brands of strings that I can get locally are Babolat, Gamma and Prince.) Thanks for your suggestions and help. :D

Micky

"It is not table tennis or ping pong, it is tennis"

H-town hero
01-18-2006, 01:46 PM
you've been playing tennis for 2 months and u have a o3 tour?
i recomend a different frame

Micky
01-18-2006, 08:33 PM
Hola H-town hero,

"you've been playing tennis for 2 months and u have a o3 tour?
i recomend a different frame"

I started tennis two months ago with a Prince O3 Red and hated it. I sold it and lost money but when I tried the Tour...just perfect.

By the way, I am 42 and I was playing semi pro table tennis full time for the past four years. I am in very good shape and picked up tennis without much drama. I downloaded (illegal copies :) ) of James Jensen lessons and have two teachers now. One is actually an ex top 50 of the world (70's) and probably the best teacher in Santa Cruz Bolivia. I play three hours per day.

But my questions still remain. I play a level 4 or more with the PSGDF(I killed three sets of it already ;) ) and when it dies my level drops to 2 or less. I truly believe is not the stick.

Micky

P.S. I play semi western forehand and two handed backhand.

"It is not table tennis or ping pong...it is tennis"

fishuuuuu
01-18-2006, 08:41 PM
I don't know that if you've been playing for two months that strings has a particular affect on you but I enjoy hitting with the combination in my signature. Solid pop, steady control.

Steve Huff
01-18-2006, 09:00 PM
Try Luxilon 5-Star. It's poly based, supposed to be made for spin. If you don't like the feel of Poly, try Alpha Vengeance. It's a softer string for that gauge.

What paddle/rubber combo do you use?

Micky
01-18-2006, 09:03 PM
Hola fishuuuu,

Thank you for your reply. After trying the hybrids I felt that I lost all the sweet topspin the PSGDF gave me. Does your combo have good topspin? and is the 17 gage the cause of that spin? I read somewhere that different gages of the same brand don't matter much for topspin, but I am not sure.

Thanks again,:)

Micky

"it is not table tennis or ping pong it is tennis"

Micky
01-18-2006, 09:12 PM
Hola Steve,

Thanks for your suggestion. I appreciate it.:D

I was using a Butterfly Sardius blade with Stiga Magna 2.0mm black FH and Stiga Mendo 2.0mm red BH. For tournaments I was using a Stiga Offensive Classic CR non WRB with Butterfly Super Long Chack speedglue and the same rubbers. :D I quit TT. Do you play ??? :o

Micky

fishuuuuu
01-18-2006, 09:18 PM
Personally I really didn't like Luxilon 5Star ... textured strings are ... false to me.

Yes, the hybrid I have in my signature is pretty good at making spin actually and it may or may not have something to do with the 17 gauge I've never used the 16 gauge equivilant. The durability and playability is pretty good it lasts about a week and a half before I cut it from habit or it breaks.

A side note is its really cost-effective. If you buy a reel of each for a total of $60.00 you get a price of 1.76/stringjob if you use a little less than 39 feet when stringing each time.

Micky
01-18-2006, 09:24 PM
Hola fishuuuu,

Perfect.:D

Just one quick question...the first string in your signature is for the mains?

Micky

"It is not table tennis or ping pong, it is tennis"

fishuuuuu
01-18-2006, 09:28 PM
That's correct, the mains first Micky.

Micky
01-18-2006, 09:33 PM
Hola fishuuuuu,

Muchas gracias.:D

I appreciate your help and understanding.

Micky

"it is not table tennis or ping pong, it is tennis"

fishuuuuu
01-18-2006, 09:34 PM
Not a problem, I'd say try it before you buy it though. Don't shoot $60.00 in the drain on my word, try a set.

nViATi
01-18-2006, 10:07 PM
But my questions still remain. I play a level 4 or more with the PSGDF(I killed three sets of it already ;) ) and when it dies my level drops to 2 or less. I truly believe is not the stick.
I hope you are not saying that in two months you improved from a 1.0NTRP to a 4.0NTRP but when your strings lose tension you drop back to a 2.0NTRP.

Jonnyf
01-18-2006, 10:46 PM
I think its strange that after playing for 2 months and use an 03 Tour ive been playing for years and play county and just started playing with the 03 tour and i dont think its the easiest stick to hit with

Micky
01-19-2006, 11:56 AM
OK guys,

I donīt know if either one of you have played table tennis. That is a sport that takes a lot of dedication and effort to develop good strokes. (I am not understimating tennis though.) My arm and hand are trained to feel weight differences that you guys may never feel. ;) I am trying to reach a higher level than 4.0 NTRP.

But that is not the issue. I asked three questions. Please try to answer them. Thanks.:cool:

Micky

exhaleexplode
01-20-2006, 08:56 AM
If youve got coordination and timing why cant you hit with that racquet? I bought my stick thinking "If im not good enough for this now, I will be SOON" The best string combo ive found is timo18 mains and bde gut crosses. Way more spin. Gives a lot more confidence. You can hit high over the net knowing the ball will still drop into the court.

panic
01-20-2006, 09:47 AM
It's quite possible to become level 4 player if you play 3 hrs every day. I wish I could play that much... Anyway I tried a friends o3 and it had also timo 18 mains but babolat VS natural gut crosses. It was niice. I'd suggest also trying a natural gut hybrid if you can afford it.

Micky
01-20-2006, 01:17 PM
Hola exhaleexplode, panic

"If youve got coordination and timing why cant you hit with that racquet?"

I can hit with that racquet no problem. The problem starts once the strings are settled and stop loosing tension. That is when I don´t hit well. I love the PSGDF the first three or four hours.

"Anyway I tried a friends o3 and it had also timo 18 mains but babolat VS natural gut crosses."

What is timo 18?

Take care,

Micky

Jonnyf
01-20-2006, 01:26 PM
Luxilon Timo ill get the link in two seconds

Jonnyf
01-20-2006, 01:27 PM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACFORTEN-TBS18.html

here you go mate

PBODY99
01-20-2006, 02:39 PM
The mains provide most of the feel of a string bed. I 'm sure that you don't want an all poly job so # 2 is a no. The polys are not the most joint friendly strings around. I hope this adresses your three questions.

I understand the skills of a table tennis player and , so your rapid advancement makes sense to me. The trouble is , tennis strings go dead much faster than the rubber on you bat. Good luck.:cool:

fishuuuuu
01-20-2006, 02:41 PM
It's quite possible to become level 4 player if you play 3 hrs every day. I wish I could play that much... Anyway I tried a friends o3 and it had also timo 18 mains but babolat VS natural gut crosses. It was niice. I'd suggest also trying a natural gut hybrid if you can afford it.

Good idea. I've been so stuck on economizing stringing lately I've totally put out of mind the higher-end equivilents. Luxilon TiMo 18 is a double-sided sword but definitely workable with any kind of Natural Gut mains to soften it up consideribly. The spin is superb, without a doubt.

Micky
01-20-2006, 04:47 PM
Hola Jonnyf,

Interesting string that TiMo...reminds me of Timo Boll a German top 5 table tennis player..titanium and molybden, very interesting.

As I was getting my new string PSGDF @ 61 today, I asked my stringer about gut....and aside the fact that is expensive he said that in such humid weather (85-99%) the gut suffers badly.

Thanks for your help.

Micky

Jonnyf
01-20-2006, 04:55 PM
Hola Jonnyf,

Interesting string that TiMo...reminds me of Timo Boll a German top 5 table tennis player..titanium and molybden, very interesting.

As I was getting my new string PSGDF @ 61 today, I asked my stringer about gut....and aside the fact that is expensive he said that in such humid weather (85-99%) the gut suffers badly.

Thanks for your help.

Micky

Anytime, sorry i couldn't really help. Here are what TW list as similar (scroll down) http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACPRINCE-S16.html also for th price this is a string i really want to try i mean $18 for a gut hybrid http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACKLIP-KADREN.html

Micky
01-20-2006, 05:25 PM
Hola PBODY99,

"The mains provide most of the feel of a string bed. I 'm sure that you don't want an all poly job so # 2 is a no. The polys are not the most joint friendly strings around. I hope this adresses your three questions."

Excelent. Thank you very much. It is completely clear now.

"I understand the skills of a table tennis player and , so your rapid advancement makes sense to me. The trouble is , tennis strings go dead much faster than the rubber on you bat. Good luck."

Jesus, Maria y Jose. Finally somebody believes me.:D. Tennis is a beatiful sport. I enjoy reading the history, the technicalities and everything that has to do with it. I now enjoy watching tennis on TV...amazing. :cool:

Regarding the death of strings...it reminds me of the death of speedglue in TT. It drove me crazy. I have a friend going to the States this weekend and I have to make up my mind about what to buy. I save close to 200% if I buy from Tennis-Warehouse. ;)

Thanks again for your support. Muchas gracias,

Micky

Micky
01-20-2006, 05:47 PM
Hola Jonnyf,

Wow, that Klip sounds awesome. I read the feedback some people left. Excelent finding. I will definitely buy a few sets of that. Will try the polys suggested above as well. I don't mind spending some money now but I want to settle with something good for years to come.:)

I understand now why you guys have three or more racquets to play with. I bought a Prince backpack (tour limited edition) and it is good for one racquet only...damn...TW is going to sell me a big bag now.:)

Thanks for your help again Jonnyf. I appreciate it.

Micky

Jonnyf
01-20-2006, 05:52 PM
anytime , i just picked a string im dsperate to try lol. Just as an FYI that string (Adreneline) is used by up and coming player Chris Guccione

JAustin
01-22-2006, 08:18 AM
Micky-

For the last few days, I have been using Big Banger Ace 18 in my O3 tour with great results. My tension with synthetic gut was 61-62, but I had this strung up @ 53 (they recomend 10% less). This generates freaky good and controllable spin, and the strings dont' move! FYI, I have also switched to the "portless" throat piece, and a leather grip for added feel.

Micky
01-22-2006, 01:27 PM
Hola JAustin,

"For the last few days, I have been using Big Banger Ace 18 in my O3 tour with great results."

Very interesting choice. Thank you for posting it. If it lasts 2.5 times or more than the PSGDF it is a great deal. I really hope so. Please keep posting your comments. I appreciate it.:cool:

Micky