PDA

View Full Version : Jim Courier....best string under 6 bucks?

TripleB
01-19-2006, 11:08 AM
I'm looking for a cross string to use with my Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power 16L mains. I was originally looking at either the Yonex Tour Super 850 or the Yonex Tour Super 880 Ti Soft but some (recently and some several months ago) people said that it's not good to use a multi as a cross string (although many people use natural gut....is it considered a multi?), so I'm thinking of going with a monofilament under $6.

Is Gosen OG Jim Courier Micro 16 the best monofilament string (ie: offers the best combo of touch and softness) for under $6.00?

If not, what it?

TripleB

d wayne
01-19-2006, 11:24 AM
I used to use the Courier string- the last time I bought it I did not like the feel- someone at my shop said Gosen changed the formula- not sure if that is correct or not.
I have enjoyed the Gosen OG Super better than the Courier. I bit softer with good feel. Holds tension pretty well also

Swingman
01-19-2006, 11:36 AM
I'm looking for a cross string to use with my Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power 16L mains. I was originally looking at either the Yonex Tour Super 850 or the Yonex Tour Super 880 Ti Soft but some (recently and some several months ago) people said that it's not good to use a multi as a cross string (although many people use natural gut....is it considered a multi?), so I'm thinking of going with a monofilament under $6.

Is Gosen OG Jim Courier Micro 16 the best monofilament string (ie: offers the best combo of touch and softness) for under $6.00?

If not, what it?

TripleB

I've been using Babolat Conquest 17 and 16 as a cross string in my racquets (MP 5-tour and Volkl V1) and for me it provides good feel and is soft. It feels almost like a multi to me - like a soft Sensation. I've been using Yonex Super 850 and Tour Super 880 as my mains. Some of the feedback states that this string is not durable but I have not broken a set yet in over 6 weeks of play (2-3X week). I string my Yonex at 56 lb and the Volkl at 62. I tried Yonex 50 a few years ago - it's nice and soft too but durability was mediocre. The Gosen Jim Courier did not feel that soft to me but was durable. Aside from the higher cost, I don't see why you can't use a multi.

mellofelow
01-19-2006, 12:28 PM
I have not tried the Lux ALU (too expensive) but I've found the optimal combo with Signum Poly-Plasma mains and Gosen OG sheep micro cross. I say 'optimal' because of performance and cost ratio just can't be beat.

I have not used the Jim Courier string but given it's used in the cross, I'm not sure if I'll notice the difference.

The Gosen strings are probably the most under-rated brand. If I had to go back to non-Poly setup, it would definitely be the Gosen in either sheep micro or Jim Courier.

KickServer
01-19-2006, 10:50 PM
Never tried the JC, but I've tried ALU Power with Gosen OG sheep Micro 17 (natural color) to be a good combo.

BrreakPoint
01-20-2006, 07:01 AM
Consider trying UNIQUE BIG HITTER 17gauge instead of ALU BIG BANGER. It has the same general playability with more comfort/softness/feel to it. I tried it a few months ago and switched over to UNIQUE and have come to like it better than BIG BANGER. Plus you can't beat the price of $6.95 (Tennis Warehouse). It's great stuff !!!!!

BrreakPoint
01-20-2006, 07:01 AM
Consider trying UNIQUE BIG HITTER 17gauge instead of ALU BIG BANGER. It has the same general playability with more comfort/softness/feel to it. I tried it a few months ago and switched over to UNIQUE and have come to like it better than BIG BANGER. Plus you can't beat the price of $6.95 (Tennis Warehouse). It's great stuff !!!!!

fx007
01-20-2006, 08:21 AM
to mellofelow : what tension you use for this hibrid signum - mains and gosen OG - cross ?

thanks

mellofelow
01-20-2006, 12:18 PM
In my Volkl Cat 7, keep in mind that this is a 100" sq head I string at 60 main (poly plasma) and 58 cross (gosen). If I had a smaller head size, may reduce it a pound or 2. It will feel very firm at first but then after a warm up session... watch out. The crispness will come alive. I'm guessing this honeymoon period lasts about 10 hours and then the string bed will loosen - typical of Poly mains.

Obviously I like to keep them at the optimum tension therefore, I debate whether to restring it or not after 10 hrs. For this reason, I'd like to keep the cost down. And this combo is just perfect... for me.

fx007
01-21-2006, 07:44 AM
Thanks friend , this is very usefull for me .
Thanks and good game :)

mctennis
01-21-2006, 07:55 AM
How about the Gosen Bio Poly strings? Any comments on using these? I think it is a very nice soft string with plenty of control.

Stan
01-21-2006, 08:09 AM
Gosen Jim Courier is a stiff string. One of the stiffest synthetic guts available. If you are looking for a cross string to soften the poly stringbed, there are better choices.

JC is a great string for the price. It works well for those who like stiff/firm playing stringbeds but don't want to move into the poly lines.