PDA

View Full Version : String Tension related to Grips?

kosmikgroove
01-19-2006, 01:04 PM
Do people with a SW to Western grip play with different tensions than those with Eastern to Continental? is there a general rule for this?

zcarzach
01-19-2006, 01:35 PM
In my experience, people who hit with a semi or full western typically use a lower string tension than those who use eastern grips. The western grip provides spin at the expense of power, so they need to pick up some power from their string. On the other side, Eastern grip users tend to hit the ball a little flatter, so they need a little less power to control the shot. Hope this helps.

buder
01-19-2006, 01:38 PM
if you read Technical Tennis, the whole tension issue gets complicated. Seems like technique does 50% of the work, and your perception the other 50%.

Spin is a combination of head speed/angle of attack. Personally, I favor kevlar for spin, but not because it bites better (as the myth goes) but because the decreased power allows the downward energy of the spin to overtake the balls forward momentum.

PBODY99
01-19-2006, 02:01 PM
Do people with a SW to Western grip play with different tensions than those with Eastern to Continental? is there a general rule for this?

No, I really don't think so. String tension is a highly personal thing. You can look back over the last 30 years and see players who had the same frame and grip combos but different tensions.

:cool:

Gaines Hillix
01-19-2006, 02:27 PM
I agree with Buder. The Physics and Technology of Tennis book by the same authors as Technical Tennis says that an angle of attack of 40o is ideal along with a fast swing. Today's wider racquets are letting players get away with this without framing the ball, which would have been impossible with the old 75" or less wood racquets. There's a very good article on this in the latest issue of RSI magazine.

Match Po¡nt
01-19-2006, 03:16 PM
No, I really don't think so. String tension is a highly personal thing. You can look back over the last 30 years and see players who had the same frame and grip combos but different tensions.

:cool:I would add a bold PERIOD at the end of your post.
Take for example Bjorn Borg. He was an extreme gripper (an all-out cowboy) who happened to string 90+lbs. My guesstimation of 90+lbs. natural gut back then compared to todays synthetics would be at about 70+lbs (still very tight). Just an FYI.