PDA

View Full Version : really...whats the best

Sam Groo
01-19-2006, 04:34 PM
I've been asking, "which is the string closest to gut," and I have heard a bunch of different things. I heard from a coach that Xcel premium really was the closests to gut. When they talk about the string that is closest to gut, are they talking about the feel of it is closest, the spin, springyness, etc. Is there one that has it all? So WHAT IS THE STRING CLOSEST TO GUT in all aspects?

Midlife crisis
01-19-2006, 06:26 PM
I've been asking, "which is the string closest to gut," and I have heard a bunch of different things. I heard from a coach that Xcel premium really was the closests to gut. When they talk about the string that is closest to gut, are they talking about the feel of it is closest, the spin, springyness, etc. Is there one that has it all? So WHAT IS THE STRING CLOSEST TO GUT in all aspects?

The wide variety of answers should be a clue that there's no one answer, and that it is different for every player because each and every one of us want some different combination of features from a string.

Most of the strings mentioned play closely, but if you are so intent on getting gut-like feel and response, you need to go with gut.

Kevo
01-19-2006, 08:26 PM
Some gut isn't even gutlike it you compare it to a different gut. Really, I think that this whole gut is the holy grail thing is taken too far some times. There are a couple of areas that gut has every other string beat in. One is softness. Without a doubt, gut is the softest string, and best for TE or GE. The other is tension holding, at least some gut. I have played guts that don't hold tension as well as some nylons, but for the vast majority, I would say gut holds tension the best. As for feel, I think there are multis that actually have better feel than gut, but at the cost of durability. Power, I think that there are other strings that can match the power of gut. Of course if you want to combine all these aspects in one synthetic, it's probably not going to happen. Gut is the string with the most of the best characteristics you want in a string. What you need to find out is what characteristics are important for you. For me, power is not something I really want in a string. So gut for me is just not a good fit. It is too powerful for my taste. So I prefer synthetic strings. Have you even played with gut before? Is that what you want in a string? Why not just use gut then?

Sam Groo
01-19-2006, 09:25 PM
ya, i've played with gut before, i really liked it. Though it feels great it's just not affordable. I really don't like the feel of any hybrids so that won't cut the cost. I was just maybe looking for something closer to the spin, and comfort of gut (don't care at all about durability). got any ideas?

Gaines Hillix
01-20-2006, 06:01 AM
Spin potential has much more to do with your swing(the more angle of attack the better) and how much racquet head speed you can generate than the type of string you're using. Prince More Feel 16g is the softest nylon string. Some of the zyex and polyolefin based strings such as the Head RIP and Intelli series and Ashaway Dynamite are softer, but they have a different feel that some people don't like.

Ash Doyle
01-20-2006, 06:15 AM
I agree with Gaines about spin potential coming from your swing, and I feel that so much of it comes from the technique that I would suggest not even considering "spin potential" when talking about strings...it's totally insignificant. String gauge may matter, but not the type or construction of the string.

When people talk about a string being gut-like, I think they are usually singling out one aspect that, at least to them, is the important one. To me, the important aspect of gut strings that keeps me using them is the crispness and playability remaining constant throughout the life of the string job. The set of charecteristics that gut has, I don't think is reproduced fully in any other string type. If you're looking for a cheaper alternative then you need to decide which aspect is important to you and find a string that has that. If you need all the different abilities of gut in one string, then gut may be your only option.

Kevo
01-20-2006, 08:31 AM
Try Babolat Powergy, Excel Premium, Head FXP or Fibergel Power, or Yonex Super 850 (the non-spin version). All are excellent strings.

diredesire
01-20-2006, 08:36 AM
I personally feel that Laserfibre pro-stock is the "closest" to gut, as it's damn near a clone, but it costs about the same $19.99. So once you're getting to the "closest" arguments, it's all kind of moot. The cost is prohibitive for real gut "clones"

hummer23
01-20-2006, 01:47 PM
a great and affordable multi that plays very soft is iso pseed professinal 17. it coems on a prestretched reel, and it holds tension very well. its a good soft string, with nice ball feel adn pocketing. great vlaue also.