PDA

View Full Version : Switch from Luxilon to Pro Hurricane?

Bottle Rocket
01-19-2006, 11:14 PM
Has anyone ever switched from Luxilon Original to Babolat Pro Hurricane?

I absolutely love Luxilon. Right now I don't think I'll ever go back to nylon. The problem is after about 10-15 hours there is a huge tension loss. Supposedly the Pro Hurricane holds tension better, has anyone ever made the switch? Do they play the same?

I am most interested in strings that will not move and/or break. The Luxilon really fits my playing style. For the same hit as before, I get a lot more spin on the ball. I know I am in the minority, but I don't mind the feel at all. It's just perfect for me... Except for the tension loss.

I've got the Lux in my Babolat Pure Storm at 54 lbs at the moment.

Any other suggestions?

PM_
01-20-2006, 02:13 AM
Right now I don't think I'll ever go back to nylon.
What do you think Hurricane is made of?
Personally I use Hurricane and love it. It's by far the softest poly out there now.
I've got my PD in a hybrid between Hurricane 17 and Sensation 16 and it's great.
But Hurricane alone can vary among different users.

BrreakPoint
01-20-2006, 05:52 AM
I'm a big fan of the Luxilon string and gave Pro Hurricane a try......I didn't find the Pro Hurricane to be nearly as playable as the BIG BANGER.

However, I recently tried UNIQUE BIG HITTER 17guage and actually like it better than the BIG BANGER. I think it has the same playability as BIG BANGER with a little more comfort (and softer).

Donnie Darko
01-20-2006, 11:15 AM
The three strings I hit regularly with:

Luxilon TiMO 17G - 62 lbs. in a Prince O3 Red

Pro Hurricane 17G - 60 lbs. in a Dunlop 600 G ICE

Gamma Revelation 17G - 60 lbs. in a Babolat Drive Z Max

The Gamma strings feel the softest and have the most touch. Have only had them for a couple of weeks, but they feel great. Have also used Prince Premier with Softflex before, it held tension very well and wore well. Had one racquet strung with some Gosen strings, I think Crystal Spin Perfection 17G (or something close to that name) and I broke a string the second time I hit with them. I have to say the Gamma Revelation strings are my favorite so far.

Hewitt rulez
01-20-2006, 11:29 AM
Ive tried both as mains in a hybrid and thought that the Big Banger had better everything. I thought it had better power, control, and spin.

Tchocky
01-20-2006, 11:51 AM
I've tried both strings. The Pro Hurricane gave me a lot of pop on my serve but felt dead after about a month of play. Luxilion is a very durable string and plays better overall.

Bottle Rocket
01-20-2006, 04:30 PM
Thanks for all the replies! There is a lot of good information to consider.

I guess I did not make a big enough deal about my reason for posting... I am most interested in keeping tension loss to a minimum.

After about 15 hours of play the Lux does some odd things that comes with the tension loss. Is there anyway to avoid this?

Will a string lose tension faster if strung tighter?

Will a string lose less tension and equalize at a higher tension if strung looser to begin with?

...and I always thought the Pro Hurrican was a poly string.

I am not looking for a softer string. That is one of the reasons the tension loss bothers me.

I will see if the tennis shop near me has Gamma Revelation.

If all else fails, a fresh string job of Lux will get me by for a few weeks.

mctennis
01-21-2006, 06:53 AM
I just switched to a full Hurricane stringjob from a Lux TiMO one. I also have just done a gut/Hurricane hybrib. Time will tell if this was a waste of strings. I don't use Gamma any longer. I think Gamma strings lose tension really fast.