PDA

View Full Version : I've Lost My Touch.....

TripleB
01-20-2006, 04:44 AM
My new racquet of choice is the Yonex Nano Speed RQ7. See my playtest review here:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/playtests/TRIPB06.html

During the playtest the racquet was strung with a Yonex string (not sure which one, I'm thinking it was the Tour Super 850) and I had incredible touch with this racquet - hence the score of 88 in the category of touch.

When I ordered this racquet I had it strung with the Yonex Tour Super 850 so that it would be set up like the demo I used during playtesting and after I wore that string out I would go back to my Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power 16L / Gosen OG Sheep Micro hybrid set up. So I played with the 850 sting for about 14 sets and then had it cut out and my standard hybrid put in it. Last night was the first time I had played with the racquet with my standard poly/mono hybrid set up.

The touch I had with that string set up (poly/mono) was horrible compared to what I had with the Yonex Multi string in it....absolutely TERRIBLE. I actually couldn't believe it was the same racquet...there was that much difference.

So I've now finally realized that there isn't a string combination that will give me everything I'm looking for---incredible touch, excellent durability, soft feel, etc. I know, I know, you all have been telling me that for years but sometimes you just have to find out things for yourself.

I'm thinking of going back to the Yonex Tour Super 850 16L string but my only concern is durability and tension loss with the multi. I played about 10 hours with the demo and didn't really notice any notching or tension loss in the string bed so I was pretty impressed.

Are there any strings out there that you feel offer a better combination of touch, softness, and durability than the Tour Super 850 16L?

Thanks.

TripleB

backcourt
01-20-2006, 08:26 AM
I think Tour Super 850 is one of the nicest playing multis out there especially at its price; it also seems to play well in yonex racquets, which perhaps isn't a coincidence. I also find its tension loss is better than some other higher priced multis like NRG 2 and NXT. I would just stay with it Triple B. One other string you may want to try is BIophase, which plays a little softer and more gutlike. But I dont think the extra $$ is worth it.

TripleB
01-20-2006, 08:51 AM
I think Tour Super 850 is one of the nicest playing multis out there especially at its price; it also seems to play well in yonex racquets, which perhaps isn't a coincidence. I also find its tension loss is better than some other higher priced multis like NRG 2 and NXT. I would just stay with it Triple B. One other string you may want to try is BIophase, which plays a little softer and more gutlike. But I dont think the extra $$ is worth it.

Thanks for the advice backcourt...the racquet did play incredibly nice with the Yonex string in it.

TripleB

Rabbit
01-20-2006, 09:08 AM
but sometimes you just have to find out things for yourself.

We've also been telling you this!

String & tension are the two hardest things to find once you've changed frames. With the C9, my optimum setup was with Prince Topspin @ 58. With the C10, it was Luxilon TIMO @ 54. Currently, I'm using Volkl PowerFibre 17 @ 60 pounds in my Cat 8's. I'm still playing with tension, but like the feel of PowerFibre in this frame.

I am somewhat suprised, but then again not, that you've changed frames again.

TripleB
01-20-2006, 09:15 AM
We've also been telling you this!

String & tension are the two hardest things to find once you've changed frames. With the C9, my optimum setup was with Prince Topspin @ 58. With the C10, it was Luxilon TIMO @ 54. Currently, I'm using Volkl PowerFibre 17 @ 60 pounds in my Cat 8's. I'm still playing with tension, but like the feel of PowerFibre in this frame.

I am somewhat suprised, but then again not, that you've changed frames again.

You are very much correct...you have been telling me to try things for myself.

I will be using the Yonex Tour Super 850 16L in my racquet for at least the next good while....I just ordered 5 sets (although they won't be in stock for at least 7 days) of the Yonex string, 10 packages of overgrip, and 2 pairs of shorts. Hopefully all of this will last me at least until the Fall or beyond (I won't be playing much between Feb. 13th and the middle of March - I coach middle school golf during that time).

To be honest, I do demo QUITE a bit but with the Yonex Nano Speed RQ7 I really wasn't looking to switch racquets. I did a TW playtest for this racquet and it was so good that I couldn't go on playing tennis without this racquet . Read my review...this racquet was so much better than any other racquet I've ever demoed or playtested.

TripleB

Kevo
01-20-2006, 09:26 AM
I'm curious what tension you used with the Yonex 850 in that frame? (Nevermind, just noticed the sig)

I am currently really liking Head FXP 17. I think it is just as good maybe a little better than the Yonex. I think it has a bit better durability, and the feel is soft and a little crisp at the same time. Having said that, Babolat Powergy is also great at the right tension. I like 60/57 in my RDX 500 Mid.